Amnio test

twilly

Reaction score
So, in just under a week, I can finally have amnio test.
It's been like climbing a mountain, as I will have waited just under a month.
Anyone had it?
Surely it's gonna hurt, I imagine the needle will go in deep, yikes.

We should get results by phone a couple of days after.
I'm hoping they will relay results to oh.
I don't want to take the call, I will be in a total state.

I've not had one either so can't advise. Wishing you lots of luck hun xxx

Hi hun - I had an amnio done at 27 weeks and it didn't hurt at all. It just felt very strange, and there was a bit of a 'pop' sound when they do it. I felt a little tender for a day or two but not too bad at all, just took it a little easier.
Hope it all goes ok for you. xxx

Thanks guys
I've taken two days off work afterwards to rest, but wondering if that's a bit over the top, what do you think?

Hi hun, haven't been through if but it sounds like you need to take it easy after, I think you are right to take 2 days off

Thanks for that, I'm not on a contract, so I just told them I would take unpaid leave if need be.
I don't want to take any more risks, so better to take advantage of some time off.
Chocolate and bed rest for me!

Good luck Twilly xx Hope everything goes ok for you hun xx :hug: xx

Just wanted to wish you all the best with it Hun, good luck xxx

Thanks girls, loving the new avatar princess x

Hope all goes ok and you get the results quickly. I saw a friend last night who had Amnio as her Downes risk was very high, she took a few days off afterwards to rest and was pleased she did.

Good idea to take a few days off afterwards - defo not over the top. xxx

Just bumping this up, in case anyone else can advise and has missed this.
Getting a bit scared of having the procedure.
Also, although we have waited for what seems like an age, I'm getting in a right state about what the results might be, it's the worst experience of my life.
I've been feeling positive and peaceful, but now it's coming closer I'm scared.

twilly it must be very difficult on you... But remember - it will only take what, an hour, and then it will be done. I'm sure the waiting will be the most difficult part! xx

Thanks ilove.
I am just going to go to sleep for a few days after the test, until we get the results
If only that were possible!

Maybe post this in the general pregnancy chat, there might be a few more women been though it see the post x

That's a good thought Sarah.
I've had a look now through some other related threads, which has really helped, although there isn't many.
I guess every procedure is different and it depends on pain threshold etc.

hiya hun i had an amnio done last year when i was about 22 weeks because my baby was diagnose with hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain) and they thought it was caused by chromosal abnormality.. I was terrified but it was not what i had expected it to be.. I lay down and they wiped my bump with antiseptic then put the needle in while doing a scan so it didnt stick into baby.. It was over in less than 5 mins, i didnt look My OH sat beside me and held my hand.. They put a plaster where the needle went but i took it off later that day, there was no mark or bleeding.. Hope it goes well for you hunni x

Thank you so much for reply.
Did you have any cramps afterwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back