Age gaps

shell1978

Reaction score
Hi ladies can i ask what sort of age gaps you have for your LO. My son is only 6wks but im now thinking about no2!!! It took us 9yrs to fall so nt sure it will even happen again! We thought we may start to try around chritsmas time so if i did fall again there will be around 18months gap xx

I'm on baby number one so I can't quite answer your question, however, I do have 3 sisters!!

My older two sisters are 7 and 5 years older than me from my mums previous marriage and my third sister is my little sister Becky who is 15 months younger than me. Growing up it was very much them vs us and it wasn't until me and Becky were more adult that we all really got on.

When I was younger I did get annoyed that when my mum finally deemed me old enough to do things on my own for example, I had to wait until I was 14 to go into town with my friends on my own, it also meant that Becky was allowed to do it as well. Which, to a 14 year old, didn't seem fair lol

But now, having 15 months between me and my little sister is great. She is more like my best friend. I think that we had a fair few arguments because we were so close in age and would fight over who got to wear what top and silly stuff like that, but on the other hand it meant that we were always there for one another at school (she was a year below me) and we liked all the same things etc.

She really is my best friend, and I don't think that would of happened if she'd of been 3/4 years younger than me. She's going to be my maid of honor when I get married :)

The same happened to my older two sisters, they're best friends as well as sisters. (Not that we're not all close now but you know what I mean)

Anyway, long story short, I think an 18 month age gap will be perfect :)

Last edited:
9 years?? Bloody Hell.

Ideally I want to wait until James is 2 before TTC again, but we'll start NTNP from next summer.

My reason is that I need to get back to work for a bit so we can move and replenish savings, and as petty as it sounds I simply do not want a double pram... The hassle of it just makes me shudder.

Of course I want to enjoy my firstborn for a while as well :lol:

My youngest brother and sister are just 15 months apart and are still super close even as adults

xxxxxx

We'll have a gap of 18months when bubs arrives. I want more kids but think will aim for a slightly bigger gap next time. Running after a very energetic 16month at 8months pregnant is very difficult!! Flip side of that was a friend of mine with 18month gap still had a little one who wasn't walking till after new baby arrived, so she was carrying a toddler everywhere at full term pregnancy.

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

we will have an 18 month gap when our 2nd is born in september, there is 21 months between me and one of my brothers and we were very close so i wanted a nice small gap between mine, we started ttc when she was 7 months old :)

We will have a 21 month gap between our two when baby arrives in December. I didn't want to leave it too long as I'll be 35 next year and my OH, 48! My OH didn't want to be too old and going through more sleepless nights!! Me, I just wanted a close age gap as me and my sis have 2.5 years between us and get on so well - I wanted the same for my kids.

@CARNAT22 yep 9 long years we gave up after trying everything then just as we were going to go down the IVF route bamn i was pregnant!!

This is why i want to try so soon as im unsure if we can even fall again plus im 35 soon.

Thanks ladies for all your replys really helpfull xx

@CARNAT22 yep 9 long years we gave up after trying everything then just as we were going to go down the IVF route bamn i was pregnant!!

This is why i want to try so soon as im unsure if we can even fall again plus im 35 soon.

Thanks ladies for all your replys really helpfull xx

Wowser, you are a very patient lady!! Of course it was worth it in the end :lol:

If I was a few years older then I'd prob be TTC earlier.

I want to be pregnant again by the time I am 35, we'll be NTNP by the time I am 34 (I just turned 33 last week lol). I know it doesn't always work out as planned - we had 3 miscarriages before I fell with James - which is why I want to NTNP as soon as we can.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Lovely that your preg after 9 long years xx

I have 3 older kids, i played alot of sport so ideally wanted a small gap and was very lucky conceiving when younger ( first pregnancy was at 24, longest ttc effort was just 10 mths).

Two boys 23 mths gap - very nice gap

Then daughter 13 mths gap, hard work but just lovely. They did fight like twins with competion yet without a twin bond!
I did miss num2 's first steps when in recovering from csection of third baby.

Then 9 years gap , very nice gap, but not recomended as you will prob want to get cracking being older and with the troubles you had concieving although you never know it could have got everything going and you could fall super quickly !

This age gap between son and this last baby will be 2 yrs 10 mths. Too long in my eyes for a small gap i would of done the small gap again tbh if i could have. Hes old enougth to have an issue with baby, my others were just too young. But he may start free school nursery in jan , baby due in nov, so very good timing.

There are lots of issues with small age gaps that i hadnt thought of till i was there like getting upstairs with two safely after a section, like being able to leave the lounge with baby in baby bouncer, we had to buy a playpen to house the baby bouncer as son used to try to lean /crush her on babys tum to kiss her!

Last edited:
Carnat, double buggys are awesome, and you can get amazing ones nowadays! Look up mountain buggy duet, only 63cm wide double side by side! Being sble to chain them both down in a shop is fab, my gaps nearly too big and so im having to go back down the buggy board route andbeing restricted to where i can go or the speed that i can get there with little legs!!

Last edited:
6 years between my two.
I didn't plan it this way...ideally, I would have chosen a 4y gap.
I'm worrying that 6y will be too large for them to be close.

We have a 1 year old and are planning to ttc baby number 2 early next year so there would be about 2 1/2 years between them xx

i think if your ready age gaps your choice mine are 6 years apart n this time will be 2 years but my friend had her youngest 2 days after her babys 1st birthday x

I dont think age gaps are a huge issue being close together or not hun.
Im one of 7 kid inclding my half sisters and brother (dads had 3women lol) 4 kids with my mum.

Me and my sister are 12months and a week apart!
We argued like hell i must admit lol but i dnt think thats from the close age, i was well am still a bossy cow haha.

But the age ranged of all 7 of us are 31 being half sister with my dads 1st wife 25,23,22,20 being with my mum & dad 10,3 with my dads 3rd current wife lol.

Im hoping hes called it quits and isnt having anymore and hes 55 and not getting any younger haha x

I have a ten month old and we started ttc at 6 weeks pp. Purely because the year we got her, only ovulated 3 times and had 2 chemicals and one baby out of it. I found out last month that I have a 10% of more babies because of how severe i have pcos, however, my chart is looking amazing for this month, so i know i can ovulate without help

if i am pregnant, there will be a 20 month gap!xxxx

My kids are exactly 2 1/2 years apart, and this one will be 5 years younger. I just felt like it was a good time for my next baby when I noticed my eldest wasn't a baby anymore. Now my youngest is about to start school, it's time for another :). Everyone is different though, so whatever feels right for you. X

My son was 3y9m when my daughter was born (she was conceived on his 3rd birthday, lol)

The age gap was going to be the same for the first one i mc, but wasn't to be......Now my daughter is going to be at least 4.5y before we have another........

Age gap is ok between the 2 we have, they still play quite a bit together and mess about.......my only concern is that baby no3 (whenever they come along) will be sharing a room with my daughter and if it's a boy could cause problems not in the too distant future with rooms!

i am 35 tomorrow and been ttc no3 for 14 months with 3 losses.....whereas I fell 3rd cycle off the pill both times with my other kids with no losses inbetween.

i dont think you can garentee age gaps. just doont start trying till your minimum happy with gap!!! ie if you dont mind a year between them then start trying at 3/4 months post baby etc. my freind stook 5 yrs for their first to concieve so started trying straight away thinking it would take a similar time their second is 2years different. so took them less than a year to concieve as waited 7 months to feell able too try again.

i agree with k8, i waited til my lo was 7 months before ttc as i figured that if i were to fall straight away then that was a decent enough gap that DD1 should be walking by the time baby was born which would make life a little easier, that was my only consideration

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back