Writing for Sands

bwakeling

Reaction score
Hi all,

After a recent poll on my blog I will be writing a book for Sands, a wonderful charity that supports families who have suffered miscarriages, stillbirths and neonatal deaths. Every penny of royalties will go straight to Sands once the publishers have covered the costs of printing the book. If you want to know more about the publishers, they're here.

I have a meeting with Sands at their head office on 6th April to discuss a few book ideas before I get to work. I have a couple of proposals in mind, but wanted to get in touch to ask you if there's anything in particular that you think would be a good idea to write about. The aim of the book is obviously to help raise the profile of Sands, and the wonderful work they do. Do you think this would be most effectively done through fiction, or perhaps through a series of interviews with those who have been helped by Sands?

I would be very grateful for your feedback, and I'm really looking forward to what will undoubtedly be a challenging and moving project, and hope that I can raise as much money for Sands as possible. We lost a baby at 8 weeks in December 2008, which was upsetting enough, and I find it hard to imagine what it must be like for those who have suffered loss later on in pregnancy, or beyond. My love and respect goes to you all.

Love,

Ben

xx

(Too long, didn't read: I'm writing a book for Sands and would like to know what you'd like to see in it!)

I think a series of interviews with real life people would be a wonderful thing and I'd find it better to read than a fictional piece.

What a wonderful thing for you to be doing! Let us know when it's written and published I'd love to read it having lost a baby through a missed miscarriage.

Good luck hon!

Ps hope Noah is doing well x

I would think interviews too, as so many people deal with it and see the experience in different ways, people would prob relate to it better x

I would like interviews. I lost my son in october to stillbirth and to read how people coped and got through the worst time gives me some comfort.

Good Luck, what a wonderful thing to do :)

Real life stories defiantly, i would appreciate knowing how other people have felt. I have just suffered a missed miscarriage and waiting for a d&c so would love to hear what other people have felt to make sure i am normal.

Thanks all! I thought interviews would be the best plan but now I know!

xx

:yay: I can only echo what the girls have said, good luck xx

I agree with the interview option.
Also Sands really helped me when my son was stillborn 8 years ago. i hope your book sells well i would definatly buy a copy

What a lovely thing to do. Interviews is definately the way to go, it will show that you can get through the dark times. My daughter was stillborn in Nov '10 & reading how other's felt & coped has given hope that I can get through this. Sorry for your loss x

definatly intereviews and personal expeiriances as well as help lines and support centers listed at the back. i would happily talk to yyou if you wanted, i had to make the decision of a d & c in nov/oct, last year due to my baby having aneacaphaly it was the hardest thing ever i hadnt heard of sands then but definatly would have liked to. x

Definitely interviews!
I was completely lost when i lost my daughter, full term through abnormalities, especially as i though i was expecting a healthy newborn. Also interviews from people who have experienced NICU, it can be a very scary place to be! Would be happy to talk to you if need be.

What a lovely idea.

I think interviews like the other ladies, to show how others coped, that you are not alone and also perhaps a few things from people that have been through this , that they found help them eg , techniques or day to day things you can try to help you get through it, or at least muddle on.

Perhaps a topic on rememberance , coping with the aniversarys , due dates etc?

Well done and good luck

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I had a meeting with Sands yesterday and we're going to look at approaching the book from the angle of getting pregnant again after suffering the loss of a baby. How does it make you feel? How did the loss change your perception of pregnancy? How did you feel when your baby was born?

I'm still in the early stages of the book, and need to do one or two interviews to really get a handle on exactly what to focus on. The book will not focus on the loss of the child, but instead on how you learned to cope with the grief and your experiences of the next pregnancy. It will be a 'lighthearted' book - not making light of your loss, I should stress, but I am keen to avoid a very dark and depressing book and instead show bereaved parents that happiness can be found in the midst of tragedy.

If anyone has been through this and would like to get in touch please respond to this thread, send me a private message, or contact me on [email protected].

Thanks again xx

I agree with all of the above comments about interviews and real life personal experiences. I felt so alone when we lost our little boy Ethan in November 2010. He died at 2 days old so was classed as a neonatal death - I am now pregnant again. This pregnancy wasn't planned but a lovely surprise so I keep intending to update my journal as I go along through the highs and lows of this pregnancy. It's a scary time.

Good luck with the book and if you need any inspiration PM and I'll be happy to contribute in anyway that I can :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back