Would you let someone else breastfeed your child?

I'd worry too much about infection... not the "social" side of it...It seems like a good solution to going back to work/resting while your baby still got all the goodness of breastmilk...but wet nursing is more common in Spain...so... It's a bit different here... (wet nurses are a tad expensive though)

absolutly not!!! interesting poll though!

Hmm, difficult one. There is a danger of loosing your own supply if you have somebody else feeding your LO. My main concern would be about the persons health, what they have eaten, drunk etc and if they had any deseases etc which might be passed on, e.g. can HIV be transmitted via breast milk, as I sure I heard somewhere that it can. I would be VERY upset though if somebody did it without my permission.

I haven't voted yet as I can't make up my mind.

I am really suprised by the title against the image "Despite the health risks, Breastfeeding is making a comeback in Britain". What health risks are they talking about? Everything I have seen and read says that breast feeding has health benefits for both mother and baby?

EDIT Just read full article and confirms what I had heard risk of infection would be my main objection to it.

Breastfeeding someone else's baby has been unthinkable for mothers for over a century. Incredibly, despite the health risks, it's making a comeback in modern Britain
If you read the title, it says breastfeeding someone elses baby, it is possible for some infections to be passed to a baby, through breastmilk.

Nicky_Jones said:
I am really suprised by the title against the image "Despite the health risks, Breastfeeding is making a comeback in Britain". What health risks are they talking about? Everything I have seen and read says that breast feeding has health benefits for both mother and baby?

I think thats a mistake, above where it says that it says :

Breastfeeding someone else's baby has been unthinkable for mothers for over a century. Incredibly, despite the health risks, it's making a comeback in modern Britain.

I've submitted a comment about it though!

Cheers - I have decided. I have vote Yes if it makes sense. That is with the proviso that if it were impossible for me to breastfeed due to an accident or something like that and povided that the wet-nurse had been screened for diseases etc.

Theres no way on this earth i would let someone else breastfeed my baby,
its a part of bonding and stuff,
i dont think its right but im not knocking people if they would want to
i just wouldnt want that at all
its my baby ill feed it thanks

yes if it made sense at the time.
i would also breastfeed another womans baby if it made sense at the time.

i would do anything if it made sense at the time.

:)

Squiglet said:
I'd worry too much about infection... not the "social" side of it...It seems like a good solution to going back to work/resting while your baby still got all the goodness of breastmilk...but wet nursing is more common in Spain...so... It's a bit different here... (wet nurses are a tad expensive though)

im assuming by breastfeding someone elses baby it would be in a controlled way as in the mother baby were clear of infection.

I wouldn't get someones baby who i didn't know and feed it nor would i let my own baby be fed by a women who hadn't been checked over etc.

That wouldn't make sense to me so i wouldn't do it.

If all the necessary checks had been done etc then yes I would. It is apparently very common in New Zealand culture where family members breastfeed each others child. I wouldn't want it full time though, if I was unable to breastfeed I would want to feed my baby myself at times, through using expressed milk.

I don't think i would like the brast part but if the milk was safe why not express and feed it...

Hmmmmm....not sure.

Having raised a tiny baby on formula successfully I think I'd go down that route again if unable to breastfeed.

Breastfeeding will be a priority for me next time but not THAT much IYSWIM?

I think hospital milk banks for preemies are a fab idea, and can see wet-nurses being a great idea for some, but not me :)

cloud9 said:
I don't think i would like the brast part but if the milk was safe why not express and feed it...

Yeah I *think* I'd agree with this. Interesting debate though.

absolutely not, I cannot bear the idea of my little boy on someone elses breast, I don't know why though, I was unable to breastfeed Thomas myself but in this day and age with formula being made to imitate breast milk I think it is unnecessary. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't wet nurses there for those that were unable to breasfeed and would otherwise have starved because formula wasn't around?

If other people think that's a viable option for them,no problem.But for me,another woman feeding my child would be on a par with another woman sleeping with my boyfriend-some things I don't want to share.

If I came in to find some other woman breast feeding my baby i'd slap her silly! :x

nah sounds wierd and would upset me as i had probs with it lol couldnt get her to latch on properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back