Will you be strict with your children about...

Becks&Riley

Reaction score
Movie certificates?

I dont think I will be because when i was younger I just watched tham anyway :lol:
I can remember The premiere of Scream the WHOLE family was watchin it in the living room I wasnt allowed :( i was like 10 or something and we had that thing where u can watch sky in room but only what the main box is watching

I secretly watched it
I was terrified and wouldnt go out to the garage 2 get my dad beers when he asked

But I dont mean i'll be letting Riley watch like 18's when shes 4 or anything just from about 10/11 its up 2 her lol
What do u think?

I know I'm going to be strict. Full stop. I hate checky lil buggers. No back chat. No nonsense.
Quick someone save my boy!!! :rotfl:

Love with a firm hand!
I won't let him see X+ rated movies, but he will probably see them with his friends. It's hard to admitt but kids grow up sooner than they need too. But that's life. I certainly was that way. My poor parents!!

to a point i'll be strict...

my mum let me watch exorcist at 11... :?

i still hate that film to this date....

these films have age certificates for a reason..

To be honest it just depends on what the film is about etc, if it too goory I would take it into consideration first, to be honest a childs inncocence is lots so early these days, so I think I would be quite strict :?

I think it depends what the content of the film is about and the maturity of the child. I won't worry too much about sticking to the ages exactly but I won't be letting an 8 year old watch 15's or 18's either. I might let an 8 year old watch a 12.
We've told James that everything on the tellybox is pretend and he seems to easily accept and understand this. He can learn that some things are factual when he gets older.
When I was about 4 or 5 I used to be in the same room when my older brother was watching all the old 80's horror films as there was only one Video machine in the house. I don't remember being frightened by them, and when I watch adult films now that I watched as a child I notice a lot of things that totally went over my head back then.
Saying that though, I wont be letting James watch 18's until he's well into secondary school! :D

My 10 year old girl has a wise head on her shoulders but i still worry about what she watches at her mates house, I tend to watch a movie first and then tell her if its suitable, all the DVD's are stored in our bedroom and she has a pile of ones that are "ours" but she is allowed to watch.
Anything PG she can watch and obviously U's 12 or 15's we watch first and then make a decision.
I don't think i'm a hitler mum i just don't feel the need for her to watch stuff that will upset her :?
Although saying that i let her watch the movie beaches with her best mate and thats upset her the most in ages :wall:

We were reasonably strict, and if a film is a 15 then we tend to watch it first then decide if Josh can. I don't think he's ever seen an 18.
If its violence, but based on real events (eg Hotel rwanda - can't remember the cert for that at the moment) then I'm more likely to let him watch it. They've just watched extracts from a few films at school dealing with the slave trade and asked our permission first.

I think its like TV programmes, I don't mind him watching Torchwood - which is post watershed, but I would object to him watching horror/murder type programmes.

Having said that - he's reacted to an episode of Doctor Who - the weeping angels one :? by having nightmares for a few nights...but so did I :oops: it was just scarey all those statues at the end :cry:

I watched 10 mins of a Nightmare on Elm street film when I was about 10 or 11 (friends house) and I now have a lifelong phobia of anyone touching my ankles and wrists..i knew it wasn't real, but it does affect you :(

I watched 18 films when I was about 12/13 and they scared me but they still do now so :lol: Watched nightmare on elm street, IT (Scared the sh*t out of me that :lol:) and quite a few other horrors back then.

When Nathans older I'll prob watch them 1st to decide whether he can watch them or not.

libs said:
We were reasonably strict, and if a film is a 15 then we tend to watch it first then decide if Josh can. I don't think he's ever seen an 18.
If its violence, but based on real events (eg Hotel rwanda - can't remember the cert for that at the moment) then I'm more likely to let him watch it. They've just watched extracts from a few films at school dealing with the slave trade and asked our permission first.

I think its like TV programmes, I don't mind him watching Torchwood - which is post watershed, but I would object to him watching horror/murder type programmes.

Having said that - he's reacted to an episode of Doctor Who - the weeping angels one :? by having nightmares for a few nights...but so did I :oops: it was just scarey all those statues at the end :cry:

I watched 10 mins of a Nightmare on Elm street film when I was about 10 or 11 (friends house) and I now have a lifelong phobia of anyone touching my ankles and wrists..i knew it wasn't real, but it does affect you :(
My 5 year old niece watches dr who
lol
Ive never watched it b4 in my life she sed theres scary darlicks in it but haha it doesnt seem 2 affect her

i'll do my own selectiveness. i'll ignore whether its a PG or an 18, but i'll only let her watch stuff i'v screened and i think is ok.

FeeFee said:
My 10 year old girl has a wise head on her shoulders but i still worry about what she watches at her mates house, I tend to watch a movie first and then tell her if its suitable, all the DVD's are stored in our bedroom and she has a pile of ones that are "ours" but she is allowed to watch.
Anything PG she can watch and obviously U's 12 or 15's we watch first and then make a decision.
I don't think i'm a hitler mum i just don't feel the need for her to watch stuff that will upset her :?
Although saying that i let her watch the movie beaches with her best mate and thats upset her the most in ages :wall:

I think thats the best way to be honest, its not just gore and violence you have to look out for but sex aswell, and you dont want a young child seeing certain things until they are old enough to undertsand it.

Becks&Riley said:
Movie certificates?

I dont think I will be because when i was younger I just watched tham anyway :lol:
I can remember The premiere of Scream the WHOLE family was watchin it in the living room I wasnt allowed :( i was like 10 or something and we had that thing where u can watch sky in room but only what the main box is watching

I secretly watched it
I was terrified and wouldnt go out to the garage 2 get my dad beers when he asked

But I dont mean i'll be letting Riley watch like 18's when shes 4 or anything just from about 10/11 its up 2 her lol
What do u think?

no im not strict. i dont let the kids watch horrors or anything but they have watched stuff rated 12 or PG on their own. :)
i use my own discretion.

i'm quite strict with mine & what they can watch, but as soon as they are at an age to watch things at other peoples houses you sort of loose control over it.
it makes me mad coz Dean who is 14 now, i don't like him playing the ps2 game ' grand theft auto' but caught him upstairs playing on it about 2 yes ago & he'd borrowed it from a friend, i said you can get that off!

they do have a age guidline for a reason & i'm more wary of them seeing sex scenes rather than swearing.

tough job being a parent coz you've always got more liberal parents that don't see it as a problem & then you're child thinks they are cool!!!

Becks&Riley said:
libs said:

My 5 year old niece watches dr who
lol
Ive never watched it b4 in my life she sed theres scary darlicks in it but haha it doesnt seem 2 affect her
Hey I'm not a big wuss...it was just one episode... :oops: :rotfl:

MIL is too strict about what James watches IMO. I got told off for letting James watch the MTV dance channel once because the girls on there were wearing skimpy clothes. MIL refuses to watch a film even if it has one swear word in. She misses out on so many great films because of it.

muppetmummy said:
MIL is too strict about what James watches IMO. I got told off for letting James watch the MTV dance channel once because the girls on there were wearing skimpy clothes. MIL refuses to watch a film even if it has one swear word in. She misses out on so many great films because of it.

I can kinda see where she was coming from there! I had one of the music channels on the other day and I have to say I was shocked at some of the videos! Or maybe I'm just a big prude! :oops: :rotfl:

MIL is the biggest prude ever! James loves dancing to the music channels. He's even started dictating our channel hoping :lol: They edit any bad ones before the watershed.

muppetmummy said:
MIL is the biggest prude ever! James loves dancing to the music channels. He's even started dictating our channel hoping :lol: They edit any bad ones before the watershed.

Bless him that's why I had the music channels dancing around the room singing to Brody trying to keep him entertained! :oops: :rotfl:

Jamie loves music videos so i norm have mtv on at some point but the filth on some of them vids make me feel sick so i have to flick to feel like a gd mother lol!!!

i wont let Jam watch an 18 film til hes 18, yeah that might sound prudish but some of the stuff on the news at 6pm needs an age limit i think??

OMG I've gotta start thinking of all that now that I'm going to be a mum... Can I get back to you on that one? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back