TVs in childrens rooms

zebrastripes said:
I wasn't saying that, but a child can easily turn it back on once the parent is out of the room, whereupon they can watch whatever they like.

I'm with you on this one. There was a child in my class last year who constantly came in exhausted. His mum (lovely lady) said "I don't understand it. I unplug his TV, put the light out in his room and when I come back to bed at midnight he'll be playing his playstation". Switching it off won't stop them but again it depends on the parent.

I didn't have a TV in my room, she won't have one in hers.

I won't have one in Cara's room, for the reasons already mentioned. I never had one/wanted one as a child and I didn't feel as if I was missing out. I generally had the tv in the lounge to myself straight after school for a couple of hours and watched my programmes or played Nintendo until my dad came home, then in the evening if my parents were watching something that I didn't fancy, I would entertain myself with a book, otr play with friends outside, which IMHO is better than sitting watching TV all evening.

My little sis has one in her room but only for dvd's she wants to watch when everyone else is watching something on the main tv, or if she has a friend round, which I think is fair enough.

Tia has a TV and DVD player in her room... but its not connected to the aerial, its just for her to watch her annoying dvds... the only other TV we have is in the living room... and to all those mothers of little girls, who say they won't have a TV in their rooms... wait till the Barbie/Bratz dvd fase begins... There is only so many times you can watch Barbie Swan lake before you start to want to shoot someone :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Mason doesn't have one (he's almost 7) and I'm not considering it any time soon, maybe one day but not for a loooong time.

I remember when I went to a parents talk at the school the first thing the headmater said to us all was " if they have a tv in their room, pleeeeeease get rid of it now."

No way! he has one in his room but its for his v tech and playstation, its noit connected.

Not until Pip is about 13-14 if she askes for it. Just because me and Anthony will share the telly with her anyway. We can sit and watch any old crud on the telly in the evenings and in the weekends or any days off we are all out of the house anyway. :)

As for telly affecting school work and social ability if your child is sat in their room from the very minuet they get in to the second they go to bed it is most certainly not the tv that is the worst of your problems.

I wont be offering her a TV, and i dont wanna be giving her one.

I got my first ever TV in my room last year, a old one, hooked up to the playstation and only got channel 1 and 4 (for neighbours and hollyoaks lol) Then i've got a flat screen one now with free view, its meant to be to entertain me when i'm up at 3am with tally!

I never had a TV or playstation or anything like that and i never felt i was missing out, i know the "times are changing" but i've always loved utter crap on the TV so i'll probably be fine watching Tally's stuff.

I know what i was like when i was young, i'd have watched all the "naughty" programmes and been up until god knows when doing it. Tally doesnt have good genes for these kinda things, when her daddy got sacked he spent ALL day in front of the TV watching DVD's etc and getting drunk.

I'm sure some kids can be fine with a TV, i dont believe mine will be though

My daughter (6) does not have one in her room and will not be getting one in the near future. However, I do think there comes an age when she will be allowed one in her room probably about 12 I think.

I had a tv in my room from that age and achieved a first class honours degree so it obviouslyhad no detremental effects on me.

I think everything in moderation is key. I will be ensuring the tv is not on past a certain time and if it is it will be confiscated for a period of time. Watching TV is not the worst thing a child of 12+ could be getting up to :wink:

Beth and Lottie have a TV in their room, thry are 8 and 6. They never even have it on in the week and are only allowed to watc a dvd in bed on a saturday morning or evening. The thing is, I control when they watch it, they ask me and they know the rules of no tv on a school night (in their room). They wouldn't dream of switching it on witout asking. I don't see the harm in letting them have one, just as long as they know the rules. I havnt hooked it up to an ariel, they only watch dvd's. I wouldnt hook it up to a games console either.

Me and OH don't have a tv in our room, its not something we need.
But Harrison has a tv and dvd palyer in his room, mainly because he likes to sit and watch spongebob ALOT, although it is not connected to an arial and IT WON'T BE.

He NEVER has the tv on at bedtimes, he has a strict 7pm bedtime where he is allowed a book to read and that is it, NO TV.
The tv is used for, if and when he wants to sit in his room and watch one of his dvd's, which we will allow at weekends if we are in the house, in fact i don't think its been switched on this week at all.

I don't see any harm of it being there at all.

My daughters (9 &8) have a tv/dvd combi with built in freeview - they have only had this for 2 months but before that they had a tv for just dvd's/playstation that was for a year.

They on watch on the weekends as my OH likes racing etc, we have a tv in our room, its great to watch on lazy weekend mornings! And as we have sky upstairs too i can have the music chanels on when i'm cleaning

we don't have a TV in our room because i preferto watch Tv in the front room rather that lying in bed.
Georgia (nearly 12) has a tv/dvd tv in her room & watches it sometimes & shes top of the class for most things at school.

Josh ( 6 & half) has a little portable tv that used to be mine when i was a teenager, he plays playstaion on it, he never really watches TV on it, unless its Doctor Who on a sat night & we don't want to watch it downstairs.

Louie is still in with us so obviously doesnt have his own TV.
everythingin moderation as they say, & you can't conrtol a child for long before they will start to lie/rebel & be sneaky :lol:

We dnt have a tv in our room. Found it was not great for the sex life.

We watch tv most evenings and the kids are welcome to sit with us althought usually they arent interested.

They have a tv(not connected to ariel) and playstation in the playroom. My new rules (not so popular btw) are that there is no playstation or dvd until after 6pm and playstation time is earned by outside play. ie one hour outside play = 1 hour playstation.

my oldest had a tv in his room from about the age of 4/5 but no ariel connected so he could only watch his videos he is 14 now and has freeview in there xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back