TVs in childrens rooms

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
I just wondered what everybody else thinks about it? What do you do/will you do?

I was desperate for a TV in my room when I was a kid and my mum gave in when I was about 10. Im not gonna let Jake have one though, there is too much on TV now that is totally inappropriate and I dont want Jake to be exposed to them. When I stayed up late I'd watch films (I remember watching that film "I know my first mane is Steven"), but with shows like Sex inspectors, Sex with Mum and Dad, Dawn Porter becomes a Lesbian, Bizzare ER, Bodyshock series, just to name a few which are on BBC/Channel 4 at 9-10pm. I will let him have a tv/dvd player in his room so he can watch DVDs that I am happy for him to watch, but it wont be hooked up to a tv ariel, and it wont be until he is about 6/7 (I was horrified when I found my friend had a tv in her 3 year olds bedroom :shock: )

I just wondered if anybody else shares my feeling about this or if I am being OTT :)

no way!

we only have one small TV in our house and it is in the living room where I'll be able to see what he is watching

I can pretty much garantee(sp?) that I wont allow it, I wont even let OH have one in our room, I think it totally ruins your sleep pattern and I have enough trouble with that anyway! I think bedrooms are for sleeping in and distractions just add up to really bad habits. Don't get me wrong though, I am not one of the 'TV is the root of all evil' brigade, we watch loads of it, I just prefer it to be in the lounge, as a family!

Hannah has got a tv/dvd in her room, she watches it during the day if i am messing about up stairs or sometimes when she comes out of the bath

TV in the bedroom is a huge NO for me, as in, never. :lol: I have never had a TV in my room and I do not want one. We have two 12 inch TVs in our house, both are in family rooms and one is almost as old as I am :lol:

I think there is no need for TVs in a young childs room, if Willow wants something to do before bed she can listen to an audio book. She won't be getting one as a teenager either, just another excuse for an adolescent to stay in their room all the time, it isn't healthy. To me there is no reason why a child shouldn't watch TV in a main room like everyone else, unless of course they are watching something unsuitable :think: Plus it is just asking for nightmares, ruined sleep, which then leads to problems at school, a grouchy and difficult child..

I read Toxic Childhood by Sue Palmer and it just reinforced my thoughts on this, apparently the mere prescence of a TV in a childs room can disturb their sleep.
Ofc it is ok if it was just for DVDs, wouldn't do any harm and you'd know what they were watching,but even so, I wouldn't really like to start it in the first place IYKWIM?

And a TV in a 3 year olds room, that is absolutely crazy!

zebrastripes said:
TV in the bedroom is a huge NO for me, as in, never. :lol: I have never had a TV in my room and I do not want one. We have two 12 inch TVs in our house, both are in family rooms and one is almost as old as I am :lol:

I think there is no need for TVs in a young childs room, if Willow wants something to do before bed she can listen to an audio book. She won't be getting one as a teenager either, just another excuse for an adolescent to stay in their room all the time, it isn't healthy. To me there is no reason why a child shouldn't watch TV in a main room like everyone else, unless of course they are watching something unsuitable :think: Plus it is just asking for nightmares, ruined sleep, which then leads to problems at school, a grouchy and difficult child..

I read Toxic Childhood by Sue Palmer and it just reinforced my thoughts on this, apparently the mere prescence of a TV in a childs room can disturb their sleep.
Ofc it is ok if it was just for DVDs, wouldn't do any harm and you'd know what they were watching,but even so, I wouldn't really like to start it in the first place IYKWIM?

i am sorry hun but i have never read such a load of rubbish, all kierons mates including him have tvs in their rooms and have done from young ages and they are all very sporty and all doing very well at college and are perfectly rounded good kids,and they have never brough any problems home i just hope your teenage child goes along with your wishes but i very much doubt they will

mary70 said:
zebrastripes said:

i am sorry hun but i have never read such a load of rubbish, all kierons mates including him have tvs in their rooms and have done from young ages and they are all very sporty and all doing very well at college and are perfectly rounded kids, i just hope your teenage child goes along with your wishes but i very much doubt they will

But they probably don't watch it til about 3 in the morning do they? or if they do it's not on a school night?
Stands to reason that if a kid is watching TV until the wee smalls then the next day in school they will be tired and grumpy which will lead to them underpreforming.
I'm not saying all kids are going to abuse a TV in their room, obviously loads don't, but it is such a hard thing to monitor, and tbh I just wouldn't want to run the risk of Willow watching unsuitable programmes til late at night, when she's meant to be tucked up in bed asleep. I suppose I am really going by what I experienced with my cousin: he had a TV since he was about 7 and he was up watching things he really shouldn't til god knows when. His parents didn't have a clue.

And if she wants a TV in her room when she's a teenager she can pay for it herself as far as I'm concerned

the other thing is as well hun as a parent you have the ability to press an on/off switch or pull a plug out off the wall i dont think anyone was meaning to put them in the room and shut the door till the next morning

I think i will allow it but am not really sure what age :think: but like you it would only be for dvd's etc rather than actual tv. becoz even ours in our bedroom is only for dvd's and not connected to an ariel

I dunno really, I have a little portable in my room but never watch it and it's only there cos I have it. I'd rather chuck it out lol. I agree with Eve - it messes up my sleep too much and I don't need any help in that department lol.

If Jack is old enough to ask for it? Probably. I guess it depends, I wouldn't let him watch it at bedtime as he needs to know it's bedtime. Oh I dunno, one of those bridges that i'll cross only when I come to it :)

mary70 said:
the other thing is as well hun as a parent you have the ability to press an on/off switch or pull a plug out off the wall i dont think anyone was meaning to put them in the room and shut the door till the next morning

I wasn't saying that, but a child can easily turn it back on once the parent is out of the room, whereupon they can watch whatever they like.

Claire&Jack said:
I think i will allow it but am not really sure what age :think: but like you it would only be for dvd's etc rather than actual tv. becoz even ours in our bedroom is only for dvd's and not connected to an ariel

My old tv is in our bedroom without it being connected to cable. Just used for videos and dvds.

I will let Evie have a TV in her room when she gets to about 13/14... because I don't want to be watching her shit on the TV downstairs! :rotfl:

I had a TV in my bedroom from when I was about 10 and my dad got a timer plug so I couldn't watch it after 9pm (after they found me watching Eurotrash one night :oops: )

I don't think it does kids any harm if you monitor how they use it. Like Mid said, they will only sneak down and watch telly if they aren't 'allowed' to watch it. :rotfl:

We don't have a TV in our room so unless Lucy see's a friend with a TV in their room I doubt the thought will occur to her that she wants one.

At the point where she asks we'll deal with it based on her age and maturity. I certainly won't be offering one to her until she's a lot older!

zebrastripes said:

I completely agree with you.
I have 4 teenage stepchildren....and all of them would just stay in their bedrooms and watch it and yell at you if you dared to interupt Hollyoaks or what ever dribble they were watching....one of them imparticular became a nightmare about the television. All 4 of them done badly in school too. We have an overly huge television in the lounge and that's all we will have. I don't like them in the kitchen disturbing meal times let alone in the bedroom. I've read similar things to zebrastripes about TV disturbing sleep and causing antisocial problems, ironically there was a TV programme on about that just this week and they discovered a strong link to children underachieving at school, causing trouble etc and those who watched too much television and then again watching television in iscolation in their bedrooms. I've been through it with teenagers and won't be allowing my own to do that. We are fully able to tape a show that's on if it clashes with something someone else wants to watch so there is no reason for a bedroom set. I'm very against it incase you can't tell.... :wink:

Nicola said:
I have 4 teenage stepchildren....and all of them would just stay in their bedrooms and watch it and yell at you if you dared to interupt Hollyoaks or what ever dribble they were watching....

they discovered a strong link to children underachieving at school, causing trouble etc and those who watched too much television and then again watching television in iscolation in their bedrooms.

:lol: I watch that 'dribble' too and I had a TV in my room

4 years ago I got 6A*s and 6As in my GCSEs so obviously Eurotrash didn't have a detrimental effect on my education! :rotfl:

I think it all depends on the parenting around the TV- as a paren you should be able to say that they can only watch the telly when the homework is done etc.

I had to earn 'TV minutes' by doing my homework and helping out around the house and if I was naughty I would be banned from watching the TV. My 10 year old brother gets the same but with his playstation (which is in the lounge because he WOULD be playing it at 3am! :roll: ) and it works! He makes you a cuppa for an extra minute on the playstation! :rotfl:

i'm not gonna let LO have a TV in their room, for the same reason we dont in our bedroom. Its not good for rest and sleep.

We only ever had one TV in our house growing up and watched with mum and dad...we're alawys in bed before rude hour :rotfl:

Each to their own, but TV should be a priviledge to a child and something thats controlled by adults, children by their very nature lack self control and its just another thing that we have to help them with. something that in my mind would be a lot easier to do if theres only one TV in a family area.

Most of its a load of shite anyways! On the other-hand i will have a radio in LOs room especially when they're wee. My mum sweared by it on quietly in the background helped us to become kids who could sleep through anything! and stopped my folks having to creep about when we were in bed

mine all have tv's in their romms but they are only set for videos or dvd's not tv channels, and they arnt allowed on after bed time.

Jade&Evie said:
He makes you a cuppa for an extra minute on the playstation! :rotfl:

I have to say that's actually really quite cute, I can just imagine a little boy doing that sorta thing....awww :D

Not in the bedroom, never. But when they get older and want to watch all the programs I can't stand I'm going to put one in what is now the playroom :) That way they have the freedom to watch what they want but only at the times when I say so 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back