will vegetable oil work the same as caster oil

charlotte2010

Reaction score
hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows if vegetable oil or another oil will give the same effect as caster oil?

Also for those who tried caster oil for induction what was the results?

ive noticed that when i eat the left over cake mix i get tummy ache and i use vegetable oil rather than butter so i thought maybe it would work the same if i added it to orange juice???

i just heard about caster oil yesterday! i'm gonna look it up as i want my lo here by xmas! sorry i can't help much! xx

It might just make you sick! Castor oil can be extreme though so be careful! I've heard horror stories about having the runs during labour........

I would not suggest castor oil. It only gives you a laxative affect & will not induce labour unless labour is about to happen anyway. I have also read & heard of horror stories. Extreme runs which can cause you to dehydrate & in extreme cases baby to poop inside the amniotic sac & cause poisoning!

If you are going to try this, please make sure you speak to your MW first!

not heard of other oils but yes as the others said castor oil can give nasty horror story laxative effects, i have heard it can work but depends on how far engaged and how prgressed you are but is know to cause sickness, horrid bowel movements and cramps, then maybe for some people triggers contractions! dont think MW's recommend itxxxx

I dont think i will be buying caster oil but i was just wondering if another oil had a similar effect. i think anything that gives you an upset stomach would probably give the same effect if the time was right, but i would rather be 'empty' before going into labour anyway!

Most women 'empty' themselves pre labour anyway. Just the bodies natural way of preparing for labour! To be honest if you were to number 2 during labour you wouldn't even notice! Apparently I did a little poo whilst pushing & I didn't even know about it. I was lucky I was pushing sat on the toilet :lol:

Your also better that if you do a little poo while pushing that its a harder one rather than the squits! Much easier to be discreetly cleared up without you knowing! Oh the joys of labour lol!

Your also better that if you do a little poo while pushing that its a harder one rather than the squits! Much easier to be discreetly cleared up without you knowing! Oh the joys of labour lol!

lol yeah that would be the better of the two

Castor oil is used as a laxative. The reason its said to speed/induce labour is because as your bowels are contracting, this should/could cause your contractions to start as the muscles are connected. having an orgasm uses the same muscles (i believe) so this is why "sex" is suggested to induce labour. when my sisters contractions had started but stopped the midwife showed us some pressure points to increase the contractions...sure enough we were back up the hospital an hour later as her contractions were 3min apart! :)

I don't know about vegatable oil-best thing is to google whether its a natural laxative.

The reason midwives don't recommend castor oil is because you "can" become dehydrated.

(WARNING: TMI)
also about pooping-my sister has pooped for 3 out of 4 of her labours. its never a solid but liquidy and is never loads-the amount of 50p. Because of how hard you are pushing, your bowels are squished so tightly that anything "stuck" is getting pushed out!
The midwives just hide it and wipe up once baby has arrived or clean whilst they go. Its never a big deal

I'm pretty sure squeezing out a bit of poop will be the last of my worries when I am throwing myself around the labour suite swearing and screaming my head off.
One of my sisters tried castor oil and all she got out of it in the end was a burning bum xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back