Rash on belly

stephlw25

Reaction score
Hi was just wondering if anyone has had the same or knows if the following is serious,

Today i have noticed a red, slightly bumpy rash on my belly. i wouldnt say it is all over my bump its more to one side and underneath! its does itch occasionally but it isnt severly itchy

does anyone else have this or know if it is normal or not? i was thinking maybe i could be having a reaction to the cream ive been using (sometimes bio-oil and sometimes cocoa butter)? however i have used the creams throughout my pregnancy without any reactions (although ive only started using bio-oil aswell recently!!!)

Any advice on the matter would be gratefully appreciated!!

steph and bump x x

Hiya Steph

Any skin disorder can appear during pregnancy. Causes of rashes include allergies, medicines, insect bites, skin infections, viral infections, parasites, tumours, and a group of diseases that affect the whole body known as connective-tissue disorders.
These rashes can affect any person at any time, not specifically pregnant mothers. However, pregnancy can change the appearance and consequences of these rashes, and the condition causing the rash may also have harmful effects on the pregnancy.

I think the best thing to do is seek medical advice as some conditions that cause rashes are dangerous to the mother as well as the baby, so seeking early advice is important for any skin change that seems abnormal, particularly if you feel unwell.

Hope this helps

Here you go, I've found this for you:-

Rashes Specific to Pregnancy - Specific dermatoses of pregnancy

Rashes that only occur in pregnancy are:
• PUPPP - (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy)
• herpes gestationis
• impetigo herpetiformis
• papular dermatitis of pregnancy
• prurigo gestationis.

PUPPP - (pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy)
This condition is the most common dermatosis (skin condition) of pregnancy. The cause was unknown until recently when Dr Selim Aracting and colleagues from France reported studies linking PUPPP with cells from the developing baby (foetus). Their studies suggest that foetal cells can invade the mother's skin during pregnancy, and in some way cause this skin disorder to develop.

Symptoms and signs
•What: red raised spots or bumps that itch strongly.
•Where: the rash usually starts on the abdomen and spreads to the thighs. Occasionally, the rash spreads to arms and buttocks. The face is never involved.
•When: the rash usually appears after 34 weeks of pregnancy and disappears after childbirth, but can recur with subsequent pregnancy.

Complications
This condition causes no harm to mother or baby.

Treatment
•Corticosteroids applied to the skin (topical) are known to give prompt relief.
•Sometimes oral corticosteroids (eg prednisolone) are needed.

Papular dermatitis of pregnancy
Abnormal blood hormone levels are linked with this disorder especially chronically raised levels of gonadotrophins (hormones produced by the pituitary gland of the brain, and which regulate sex hormone levels) and lowered cortisol and oestrogen levels.

Symptoms and signs
•What: an extremely itchy rash consisting of red, raised spots that look like insect bites. Crusts (scabs) cover some of these spots. The spots do not collect in groups.
•Where: all over the body.
•When: this rash can erupt at any time during pregnancy and then spots continue to appear until childbirth when they clear rapidly.

Complications
This condition causes no complications in the mother, but studies suggest that foetal death rates are increased.

Treatment
High doses of corticosteroidsare necessary.

Prurigo gestationis
This rash comes in two forms: an early form and a late form.

Symptoms and signs•What: very itchy red dots.
•Where (early form): upper trunk and upper parts of arms and legs. In this form, the abdomen and buttocks are rarely involved.
•Where (late form): the rash is found mostly on the abdomen, usually on striae (stretch marks). After delivery, this form may spread to the entire body.
•When: the early form appears in the middle months of pregnancy, while the late form occurs in the last week of pregnancy. The rash completely clears within three weeks after childbirth.

Complications
This condition is generally not associated with any serious complications in mother or baby.

Treatment
Simple measures like antihistamine tablets.

Herpes gestationisHerpes gestationis is a rare disease that is not related to the viral infection herpes simplex.

Symptoms and signs
•What: a moderate-to-severe itchy rash consisting of different types of lesion (raised dots or bumps, fluid-filled blisters or blebs, or a combination).
•Where: usually seen on the abdomen, particularly around the navel, and also on arms and legs. Palms and soles are frequently affected. The entire body may also be involved.
•When: most likely to appear during the fourth and fifth month of pregnancy, but can occur before or after. This condition can be seen in the first pregnancy or in successive pregnancies for the first time.

Complications
•This disease can have severe complications. The mother can develop necrosis (breakdown and death) of affected skin as well as kidney damage, which is diagnosed when blood and protein are found in the urine.
•Infants can be born with this rash, but it usually clears up within a few weeks of birth without treatment.

Treatment
Corticosteroids by mouth (systemic). Pyridoxine has also been reported to be effective.

Impetigo herpetiformis
Impetigo Herpetiformis is an acute but rare skin condition of pregnancy.

Symptoms
•What: groups of small, pus-filled blisters that develop irregularly or in curved or spiral-shaped clusters. After a few days, the blisters scab and the rash dries up, then new blisters appear at the edges of the dried-up rash. Several circles of this type may be produced as the disease progresses. Mild itching, burning sensations and hair loss can occur in the involved area. The rash is always accompanied by severe illness, such as chills, fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and joint pains.
•Where: usually begins in groins, underarms, and the folds of knees and elbows. The disorder can affect the mucous membranes of the mouth and genitals where it looks like a greyish erosion (shallow ulcer).
•When: usually begins in the last trimester and disappears after childbirth, although sometimes it leaves residual marks or scars.

Complications
If this disease is not treated promptly, the maternal death rate is high, and so too is the rate of stillborn babies.
Treatment
•Early diagnosis, and prompt and intensive treatment is advisable.
•Good responses have been reported with ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone, which stimulates the body to produce more steroids from the adrenal glands)and cortisone treatment.

Hi Rachael

Thank you for that information and advice it really helped.

Many thanks

steph and bump x

i know im kinda late here but i've had bumpyness and itchyness and my doctor told me to use calamine lotion.
its been really helpful. :)

Hiya thanks, Luckily it only seemed to last a couple of days but i used Savlon on it which seem to work well!! Thanks anyway!

Steph and bump x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back