Why find out the gender

lauramumof2

Reaction score
I find it really weird the way people are so eager to find out the gender of their babies.
I was reading reallyoldmums post and I sympathise that other places tell you and hers dont. This post isnt aimed at her btw.

But why are people so eager to know?

Obviously there are medical reasons but why not wait till baby comes out. There was just nothing like having my babies held over the screen so I could see what I just had.

I dont think I would ever have wanted to know.

Im getting old :lol: , I sound like my mum

I dont have a deep and meaningful reason im afraid. I just want to know because i can.

I two-ed and fro-ed with the idea at first but now im kinda obsessed with finding out, i realy dont mind which it,
I just NEED to know

me personally ,I found out because it was easier to get my 7 year old used to the idea she wasnt going to be an only child anymore if she could imagine whether it was a brother or sister.we even took her to the 20week scan and we all found out together. I didnt find out 1st time round and it didnt bother me and it wouldnt bothered what sex bubs was second time round either.I guess its a personal thing

For me it was lovely to be able to call James "James" whilst he was in my belly. It helped the bonding process and I felt like I knew him before he came out iykwim.

Second time round I want to find out for the same reason and also so we can see if we are getting a little girl and I can go shopping for lots of pretty dresses! :cheer: :cheer:

The only reason i wanted to know was because between our families there were 6 boys and no girls. 4 of which were in my family. I just wanted to see if i gave people a girl, and i did. I think in future i'd want a surprise. And if there were other girls already in the family i wouldn't be as keen. It was just nice to break the pattern and know before hand! It was also a huge thing for me to buy pink! Lol

curiosity i suppose and in my case whenever i found out the sex it helped me more to bond with baby.

I found out with Lola but when after i had i wished I'd waited. I think it would be lovely to find out at the birth and for OH to tell me the sex of our baby.

When i get OH to agree to another baby i'll be staying team green 8)

I wanted to know for a few reasons.
My OH's business had just gone bankrupt so as money was tight I wanted to get exactly what I needed. I am also a bit of a clean/organise freak, so I needed everything to be perfect and ready before baby came!
But more importantly I had been ttc for 28 months when I finaly got pregnant and tbh I just had no patience left! I couldn't wait :lol: :lol:

Jen&James said:
For me it was lovely to be able to call James "James" whilst he was in my belly. It helped the bonding process and I felt like I knew him before he came out iykwim.

Second time round I want to find out for the same reason and also so we can see if we are getting a little girl and I can go shopping for lots of pretty dresses! :cheer: :cheer:

Same here :D :D

Because I'm an obstinate bitch and I couldn't handle the thought of some stranger sonographer knowing something I didn't :lol:

For me it was different from what others have said. I was in hospital at 19 weeks with a threatened miscarriage-
i was terrified and spent about 4 days as a quivering wreck thinking i was losing the baby, on my last day i had my anomaly scan, the sonographer told me everything was completely fine and normal..the blood around my cervix and womb had all gone and it must have been old blood and blood from changes in my cervix etc..then she said would you like to know the sex? after that week from hell and stuff i just wanted to know- it was a bit of a pep me up and made me feel closer to the baby we could pick a name and clothes etc.

I was not intending on finding out the sex before that and i don't know if i would next time! but it was exciting and it
did help with bonding..a surprise next time would be nice though.

The sonographer doesn't check genitalia unless you ask so s/he wouldn't know any more than you.

cos im a complete and utter nosy cow :oops: i would love to think up some really clever reason but i cant :rotfl: im just downright nosy :D xxxxxxxxx

Becky said:
The sonographer doesn't check genitalia unless you ask so s/he wouldn't know any more than you.

Not necessarily true. It doesn't always take a special check. Ours obviously knew cause when she asked us if we wanted to know (and we said yes) she said she was surprised we couldn't see; he was dangling it everywhere :rotfl:

Their trained eyes must often pick it up anyway.

Like Rach, I'm just a nosey cow :D

It's all personal choice! My reasons are;

Because I'm funding everything myself and I had suspicians about work giving me what they owed me. I wanted to buy as much as possible as soon as possible so I could buy clothes up until like, 12 months etc so it's been really handy in that respect. (Plus I love shopping!)

I'm really impatient and I couldn't have left the room knowing I "could" have found out but didn't, it would eat away at me and I'd have been really angry with myself afterwards :lol:

I have been a bit down during my pregnancy after Gray left me so suddenly and being on my own with little friends, I needed something to cheer me up.

It's made me feel loads more connected to her as she has an identity now and she's not "bubs" she's "Evie".

I really have no wish whatsoever to wait until birth! It's just as exciting being told half way through the pregnancy as it is when they're born IMO.

I am really pleased I found out and would definitely do it again!! :D xx

i found out as i wanted to have a name ready and all the pink/blue clothes sorted as i knew i wouldnt want to go out shopping for clothes after baby was born for a while and i dint want people asking me what the baby was as it would of been dressed in white/cream clothes,
as it is people STILL as what he is even though hes got a blue buggy blue clothes and a blue blanket :roll:
xx

I found out both times and like others have said I wanted to know cos a) i'm nosey and b) I could.

I don't think it spoils the surprise you just get it a bit earlier :D

Minxy said:
Becky said:

Not necessarily true. It doesn't always take a special check. Ours obviously knew cause when she asked us if we wanted to know (and we said yes) she said she was surprised we couldn't see; he was dangling it everywhere :rotfl:

Their trained eyes must often pick it up anyway.

Same with us. They asked if we wanted to know and OH said he thought he had already seen it was a boy, which of course it was! :lol:

We found out because we live in a 2 bedroomed house and if we were to be expecting a girl then we would have to think about moving house so that the kids could have seperate rooms.
And all the clothes that were for unisex were plain and boring, i felt like my baby wouldnt really have an identity in all those white clothes.

midna said:
I dont understand either .. but I dont have anything against those who do ... its the same with 4d scans lol ..why would you wanna see what they look like before they are born ..and it just looks weird. I feel that the small amount of dignity they do have should be maintained.. I hate the thought of some random sonographer looking between my babys legs just to see whats there. :?

Its almost an invasion of privacy!

pretty much how I felt/feel about it. I chose not to find out both times. I already felt bonded to my baby, knowing the sex would not have made it anymore real or closer| and for me, I couldn't name someone I had never met or seen as a name is very personal to them if that makes sense. we had a number of names we liked but wouldn't decide on one until we saw them. The same went for the clothes, I wanted to shop for them after I met them,plus I love seeing baby's in white and cream sleepsuits (all clean and new) so was happy to wait till they arrived - shops are open a lotof hours during the week too so its easy enough to buy things. I also had spoken to a few people who said that they hated knowing what their friends/family was having as there was no surprise, just he/she has arrived. Baby was never it, Seren was bean or squigglybean and Cally was bug or spud (names we still call them today)

The main thing for me though was that I didn't want a stranger telling me about our baby, I wanted it to be a personal moment, so OH told me the first time and I looked for myself the second time. Next time we are hoping that Seren and Cally will tell us what they have - a brother or sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back