Who gets called when your in labour ?

tinytoes

Reaction score
What have you all planned to do ? I have no choice but to tell my parents as my dad is my lift to the hospital and my mum is looking after Aoibheann . But if my oh could drive and we didn't have her I wouldn't tell a soul until the baby was born . I was in slow labour and in hospital for four days before she arrived last time and I told nobody as I knew I would be worrying everyone . I felt less pressured then .

Are you planning on having visitors straight afterward ? I dont really want any until I have had a shower , a sleep and some time with just the three of us last time that worked out well as my OH was the only visitor I was allowed for the entire week due to swine flu restrictions . What will you all be doing ?

My mum and dad will know because we live with them and one of them will be giving me a lift! We've said we'll tell OH's dad + stepmum (he doesn't speak to his real mum) and its up to them if they come up the hospital but they won't be allowed in the room with us until I'm ready after baby is born.

A few of OH's family want to know when anything happens as well, so we've said we'll ring them and tell them it's started, but OH is going to tell them not to come up the hospital, we'll let them know when they can!

Well the lift part i am not 100% as you know.
My OH, mam, dad and brother will be coming to the hospital... OH will be in the room, i want my mam there but she won't lol. She said she will be outside smoking haha. When baby is born i want a little bit of time before they come in the room just so OH and me can have a cuddle with her on our own as he is the type to get under pressure infront of people and worried incase he isn't holding her right, so i don't want him to feel like that. Not having no visitors apart from OH,mam,dad and brother... even though a few people think they are. Oh i wouldn't mind my nana there if she can get through. xxx

Last edited:
Well my oh is in the army and based in aldershot... I'm in north Wales :-/ I live with my parents still and so my mum is defo gonna be there and my dad will be my lift, as soon as it starts I have numbers of all sorts of oh's bosses I can call to get hold of him and he will be allowed to leave straight away. However I'm due the 21st June and he has 2weeks leave starting from the 17th of June so were hoping bump stats put till then and he will be here with me when it all starts.

Either way I am having my mum with me, I don't want her to feel like I'm just using her if oh is not here, plus I just know she won't get too involved and will give us time if and when we need it. As for everyone else we plan on letting them know once we know it's actually happening and tell them we will call when we want visitors. I imagine my dad will hang around the hospital or just go home (5mins away) but he doesn't wanna see me in labour anyway!

What an essay that is!

Xxx

Oh i forgot OH's mam but she is 35 mile away... so thats if she comes. xxx

We'll ring my Dad and OH's parents and then I'll text my 3 closest friends to let them know.
Dad and OH's parents have been told there's no point in coming to the hospital until we let them know they can as we won't let them in the room until I'm ready for visitors.
My hospital is really strict on visitors which is a good thing so I'm telling my friends not to think about visiting till I get home.

we have told my real mum we aren't ringing anyone. i dont want anyone sitting for what could be hours worrying. however i will be telling my dad as i have said although it is me and oh only in the room if i feel i need him i will be asking my dad to come in aswell.

as for visitors as far as i know the hospital dont allow any visitors until im on the ward. which is quite nice as gives me and oh a couple of hours roughly to have it just the 3 of us.

im being very strict on the fact that my dad is seeing him 1st. xxx

Funnily enough I sorted all this out yesterday! :)

When I go into labour my OH has a 'labour text list' of people we need to text. Mainly family but obviously my Childminding Parents too so they don't turn up the next morning to an empty house! lol

While i'm in labour both our phones are going off!!

Then i'm going to do the 'he's born' texts once i'm happy to either have visitors in the hospital or we're back home depending on whether I have to stay in overnight x

i will have to tell my mum as she will be watching older son and Oh will no doubt tell his parents but i didnt really want any1 knowing till he was here safe and sound.. If my mum or Oh picks son up from school they get stopped all the way along with is she in labour lol so annoying..i only want my son at the hospital to visit his new brother and our parents if i had to stay in but every1 can wait till im home tbh im getting funny over ppl visiting and hes not even here yet lol x

I've also been thinking about this a lot lately and It will just be either me and the other half depending on if I can get a hold of him when I go into labour or I'm just going to do it on my own. He works out in the country and his mobile doesn't work, plus he works nightshift, so there is no one in the office to answer the works phone if I call. Just hoping I don't go into labour at night or I can hold off going to the hospital until he gets home! I'm also not going to tell anyone until the baby is here and the only person I will tell is my daughter and my sister who lives with us, they have both been told that I don't want anyone else to know though! I just want it to be us four for a little while. Everyone else can wait until we get home.

Last edited:
I haven't really thought about this lol. Definitely my OH first so he can come home from work and take me to the hospital and support me. I will also need to ring my mum as she needs to travel 256 miles and she is my other birth partner. I'm sure a message will then get passed to other close family members and friends. I will probably then send a he's arrived text out to family members and close friends. I need to think about this properly lol. Job for me tomorrow. xx

Well my mum is visiting on friday for a long weekend so im hoping she might be staying with us when i go into labour.

I only want my OH and/or mum with me during and I dont really want any other visitors afterwards until ive had a shower and im feeling a bit more human. Ive even written it on my birth plan that i want a shower before visitors so i hope thats what happens x

not telling a soul ! it will be just me and OH at hospital...we will ring family and friends after birth but I don't intend to have visitors there unless they keep me (God forbid) for a few days !

My oh will be at birth but we also tell my parents And his parents. I don't mind who knows to be honest !

I had planned to have hubby & Mum with me the whole time, but my friend came up with an idea of having her Mum on standby in case she really needed her there, so hubby & I might just go off us two & if it gets too much we'll ring Mum so she can come to hospital.

Other than that, I don't want anyone to know until LO is here - I don't think it's fair on hubby to be expected to update 10 people every hour so I want to wait until baby is here, we've had some time just us three, I've had a wash, recovered a bit, felt more human etc then MAYBE have visitors at the hospital - hehe! I guess if the visitors come to the hospital then they can bugger off when we get home... Need to find out more on our hospital's visiting policy before we decide.

Does anyone else hate the thought of having to give baby over for a cuddle to other people so soon, or is it just me? My OH's family are so friggin forward as well, they'll just come in and pick baby up - I have visions of me launching out of bed and drop kicking them... :blush: Obv I'm ok with my Mum, but other than that the thought of it makes me a bit anxious... :shock: x

We will call my mum when we r ready to go to hospital as she is coming to look after the kids but just me and hubby at hospital and not telling anyone else till shes here and not having visitors till im home settled but if i stay overnight my hubby will bring the kids to see me in hospital no1 else allowed tho I want some family time b4 everyone starts piling into my house and if I feel like crap I wont let anyone come see us til im good and ready x

I had planned to have hubby & Mum with me the whole time, but my friend came up with an idea of having her Mum on standby in case she really needed her there, so hubby & I might just go off us two & if it gets too much we'll ring Mum so she can come to hospital.

Other than that, I don't want anyone to know until LO is here - I don't think it's fair on hubby to be expected to update 10 people every hour so I want to wait until baby is here, we've had some time just us three, I've had a wash, recovered a bit, felt more human etc then MAYBE have visitors at the hospital - hehe! I guess if the visitors come to the hospital then they can bugger off when we get home... Need to find out more on our hospital's visiting policy before we decide.

Does anyone else hate the thought of having to give baby over for a cuddle to other people so soon, or is it just me? My OH's family are so friggin forward as well, they'll just come in and pick baby up - I have visions of me launching out of bed and drop kicking them... :blush: Obv I'm ok with my Mum, but other than that the thought of it makes me a bit anxious... :shock: x
I was so posessive with Aoibheann at first , especailly as after she was born she was taken away for a while without explanition and it made me kinda nuts :blush: . I'll probably be stuck in hospital for three days after so I have no objection to visitors as long as they give me some warning before landing in .

oh just thought obviously be telling my text buddies. lol. strange thinking you will all know before my family. xxx

Haha yes u guys will know!! :) if I have to stay in hosp id like visitors I think but when I'm home I'd quite like people to call or let me know if they wanna come round or it will get too much I think x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back