when to have a baby shower?

All my friends had bridal showers!! Shocking load of shite if u ask me. Just a way of getting presents. Id love to have an afternoon tea for baby but like u said people feel obliged to get presents and I'd get really embarrassed

That is exactly how I feel! x

Maybe like someone else said have an afternoon tea when baby is actually here. I don't think I'd feel so bad if people brought gifts then. The problem with baby showers is people buy present then and when baby is born they feel obliged to get another present (know I did)!

It's still a very American thing though isn't it? I don't think it will catch on in the same way here personally x

We seem to end up following whay they do in America??? Look at school proms? Most schools have those now!

All my friends had bridal showers!! Shocking load of shite if u ask me. Just a way of getting presents. Id love to have an afternoon tea for baby but like u said people feel obliged to get presents and I'd get really embarrassed

What a cheek having bridal shower and a wedding?

I think it is downright rude to expect your guests to fork out for both :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Exactly! I think if it weren't for the presents people wouldn't have them! x

All my friends had bridal showers!! Shocking load of shite if u ask me.

Pmsl! I have to agree though. I really can't get on board with the whole bridal shower/baby shower thing. Its putting people in an awkward position if u ask me, u might as well say 'hi, I'm having a baby, buy me stuff!'
And personally, if I got an invite to a baby shower that stated not to bring gifts, I'd still feel bad if I turned up without one, so I know I'd get something anyway. X

Yeah mynfriend had this massive bridal shower then wanted us to pay £365 for a hen do to Ibiza lol!!!

I'm not having one, I personally would feel like people felt they would have to bring gifts and I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Even if you tell them they don't need to I think they'd still feel obliged. Just my feelings, nothing against anyone having one.
Instead I'm having a little buffet lunch at work the day I leave, which will be the day before my due date. I'm more comfortable with that x

Wow why are you leaving work so late? X

My friends are throwing me one when I'll be 27 weeks I think (I possibly can't count!). They want me to have a decent bump (yes I will just magic that up!) but before they all head back to uni :) I can't wait xD x

I personally love being invited to baby showers etc so have a lovely time!! Especially if ur friends want to throw u one :) xx

Aw I love going to them too don't get me wrong and I'd prob love one but it's the fact when my friend was organising hers it was stupidly big hired a hall and everything at 34 weeks baby came early at 36 so in two weeks had to buy two lots of presents. My other friend did her a fab gift basket which didn't cost alot basically radox bubble bath few smells and baby wipes etc people were calling her cheap!! Jus put me off them then (the random people who said ut and the showers lol) She then bought a lovely snowsuit for when baby was born which cost a fair bit!

Aw I love going to them too don't get me wrong and I'd prob love one but it's the fact when my friend was organising hers it was stupidly big hired a hall and everything at 34 weeks baby came early at 36 so in two weeks had to buy two lots of presents. My other friend did her a fab gift basket which didn't cost alot basically radox bubble bath few smells and baby wipes etc people were calling her cheap!! Jus put me off them then (the random people who said ut and the showers lol) She then bought a lovely snowsuit for when baby was born which cost a fair bit!

People can be so ungrateful!! x

Yeah mynfriend had this massive bridal shower then wanted us to pay £365 for a hen do to Ibiza lol!!!

Thats ridiculous! I'd have told her to jog on! x

Funny enough that trip never came off lol

haha I'm not suprised! X

I personally don't want a baby shower but if I went to one I wouldn't have thought that I would be expected to also buy another present once the baby is born as I would have given present at the baby shower. x

Im having a baby shower and its not just for presents its because i didnt have a 21st and ive never had a house warming or any other kind of event so I want my closest friends around to have some fun with me before baby gets here and I dont see how thats for gifts in any way? I have bought my essentials for baby and am planning on buying more. I dont expect anyone to bring my baby presents and its not why im having my baby shower! It is sort of american, but i wont be having any leaving doos at work or anything either ?? And i actually asked all my friends before deciding i was deffo going to have one so Im sure my friends are fine with the idea too, most are excited .

Personal preference I think xxxxx

Im having a baby shower and its not just for presents its because i didnt have a 21st and ive never had a house warming or any other kind of event so I want my closest friends around to have some fun with me before baby gets here and I dont see how thats for gifts in any way? I have bought my essentials for baby and am planning on buying more. I dont expect anyone to bring my baby presents and its not why im having my baby shower! It is sort of american, but i wont be having any leaving doos at work or anything either ?? And i actually asked all my friends before deciding i was deffo going to have one so Im sure my friends are fine with the idea too, most are excited .

Personal preference I think xxxxx

I couldn't agree more hun most people want to jut have a little party but a lot just want more presents lol I know my friend bloody did!

One of my friends had a baby shower, I found it very self indulgent, she so obviously just wanted a load of presents!
What happened to people visiting the newborn with a lovely simple gift?
I then felt like I was obliged to bring another gift when baby was here! x

Yeah I know what you mean I've been to a few baby showers ad have one next weekend but one was stunning really nice (she actually said she wouldn't open presents until baby arrived) and the other my god had baby pictures f herself everywhere and of her boyfriend so we would all know who baby took after when it's here (it was him he was NOT amused lol) was just too OTT think the smaller little intimate ones are lovely though.

I had no intention of having a baby shower, then one Sunday lunchtime when I was 36 weeks I thought I was going out for lunch with my husband and was promptly deposited on the doorstep of my best friend's house for a surprise shower!! I had no idea, but it was a lovely lovely surprise. I did tell the people there that I didn't expect any more presents when baby arrived though. Although I think a lot of my friends just like an excuse to go shopping as some still bought more... I felt extremely spoilt and very very grateful - and couldn't believe my husband and best friend had managed to organise it without me knowing, as normally I sniff things like this out straight away!!

I think surprise ones organised by others are a different story. My friend organised and arranged her own!
From what I know about American ones, they are arranged for you by others, like yours helly x

Both my baby showers were at 36 weeks :)
One organised by my MIL & the other by two of my best friends over here..... Was a lovely experience each time.
They're usually organised by other people...haven't heard of anyone organizing their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back