When do you get a sweep?

cherelle

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Just wondering for those of you near the end, when have you been offered a sweep? Is it unusual to be offered one before youre overdue? Or before your due date?

Im thinking about asking at my next appt when ill be 38 weeks, im pretty sure ill be told i cant have one yet but its worth a try eh??? lol x

I asked at my appointment on Wednesday but I'm not allowed one until I'm a week over. Mine's booked for next Thursday when I will be 41 weeks exactly. I'm guessing that unless there is any medical reason they won't but it could just be my midwife.

Hang on in there. your time will come soon enough.

x

i never got offered one with my first son and i went 5 days over. i think its maybe only when u overdue a gd bit... Im not sure if id want one or not i kinda think they will come when ready lol, x

They only offer then normally when your overdue or at least around your due date... i had one at 40+3... but alot of places wont even offer until your a week over.

Im pretty sure they wont do it at 38 weeks, u have to be favorable anyway and if your cervix is no way near ready for the labour then the midwife probably wouldn't b able to do it. x

Yeah I doubt they'll do it at 38 weeks, and like Kay said your cervix has to be favourable. Mw said she would give me one on my due date if my cervix looks ready. I was surprised because I thought I'd need to be a few days overdue. Would be nice not to need one though.

x

I can't believe how close you all are to having your babies! Does it feel weird being in the "almost due" arena?! xx

I can't believe how close you all are to having your babies! Does it feel weird being in the "almost due" arena?! xx

It does feel weird hun, its a bit like symptom spotting in the 2ww. I'm analysing Every twinge etc......I'm sure people are getting fed up of.me :lol: its exciting and scary all at the same time :) not too long left for you either :)

my midwife booked me in for one a week over my due date, and then i saw a different midwife at the clinic they run and she has booked me for one 2 days before my due date. I've accepted both appointments but i think they only work if you're ready to go...i will be more interested to see what they say about what my cervix is up to etc..at least it gives you a bit more info about what's going on down there!!! definately ask about it - i'm sure they will offer you one as protocol anyway x x x

Thanks everyone!

Im the same Pinky with the symptom spotting and im behind you in the queue :-( i just want it to happen NOW!! x

Hi Cherelle, I've got one booked for Tues when I will be 40+5. Am hoping not to need it.... Going to try sex first this weekend, it's got to be worth a go, and nicer than a sweep :)

Thanks everyone!

Im the same Pinky with the symptom spotting and im behind you in the queue :-( i just want it to happen NOW!! x

Cherelle you sound as desperate as me to have baby and we have roughly the same amount of time left. One minute it feels like ageees away and the next it seems really soon. Hurry up end of May xx

yep - i think our dates were the same originally werent they, i keep thinking ill be late cos my original due date was 28th or 29th x

Yeah think we were the same date originally. 3 days over wouldn't be so bad. I think I could cope with that. I just don't want to be over a week late. That would be annoying. Everyone says though.... He will come when he's ready lol xx

i think i was 2 weeks over but when she give it me in morning i went in that night so it can work :)

I think it's a post code lottery. Some areas do it on the due date but around here it's 41 weeks and not before. So frustrating!

I think it's a post code lottery. Some areas do it on the due date but around here it's 41 weeks and not before. So frustrating!

Yeah it seems to be different depending on where you live
X

I had one the day after my due date, another at 41wks and another at 40+10. My waters broke at 2am after the 3rd sweep, and they were going to induce me that morning at 8:30am so I beat them to it!! Think if its your 2nd baby they wait until youre 41wks. Hope you're well xx

Wow Loulabelle India was very stubborn - 3 sweeps! Hope youre enjoying motherhood :) x

Stupid question, but I'm not sure if I've had a sweep or not - consultant had a poke of my cervix opening and was able to tell it is softening/on it's way - does that count as a sweep? I had spotting and weird spazzy muscles in the front of my bump the following day but nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back