When did you tell - work, family, friends etc??

K80

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im very early on in my pregnancy but wonder when I NEED to tell people like work. I dont want to say anything to family (other than Ive already told my sister and best friend) because Im so early and know a lot could go wrong.

However, we're moving offices in 2 weeks at work and I dont want to be expected to lift boxes etc. I also think I should tell work for insurance purposes ??? I sit at computer most of day but my job involves going into strangers homes (who have alcohol and drug problems) I never have felt threatened or unsafe but priorities change now ....and you never know....

When did you all tell people?

Hi hun,

I've got severe preg brain this morning, so someone please slap me if I'm wrong, but you don't legally have to tell your employer until 15 weeks before your due date (so 25 weeks).

However, most people tend to say at around 12 weeks, depending on their job. I sit in an office and told my boss at about 8 weeks I think, just because I felt rough and couldn't hold it in! Lol.

Given the nature of your job, I would definitely tell your manager. If it puts you at risk, they should know. Plus they can modify your duties for health and safety reasons.

xxx

Last edited:
I told my boss at 7 weeks because i was suffering from severe morning sickness. But didnt tell anyone else in the office. As for close friends and family, i told a few about 8/9 weeks but not everyone. It was more for support and questions i had.xx

And yes, you don't have to legally tell your work until you are 25 weeks pregnant as thats when you need to arrange maternity leave.xx

i told my mam @ 7 weeks and work after my scan @ 12 weeks!
i think it will be worth you telling work earlier so they dont expect you to carry
and the visits! but like Olive said, i think you dont have to until 25 weeks! xx

Firstly, congratulations :)

I told my boss quite early (about 7/8 weeks) because i kept having to go to appointments and i was also feeling a bit sicky and tired at work. The other girls are right, you don't HAVE to tell your work until 25 weeks, but in your circumstances i think you'd be better telling your boss asap. They have to keep the information confidential, but it will help them assess your duties etc. You don't want to be putting yourself in any situations you're not happy with and you certainly shouldn't be lifting boxes. I think they'll also need to do a risk assessment of your workplace etc.

As for friends and family thats totally up to you. My mum knew within about 3 minutes of me finding out, even before i'd rang OH! I think me stumbling into the kitchen sobbing, shaking and waving a positive pregnancy test around kind of gave it away. I was grateful to have her support from the start though, she's been great. I also told a few close friends because i knew they'd notice straight away that something was up when i stopped drinking etc. But i didn't make it 'common knowledge' until after my 12 week scan. It's your choice though hun :) good luck xxx

I am 4 weeks and I told my manager straight away because I work in a job that is slightly higher risk. I haven't told anyone else apart from my hubby

I told my manager straight away as I work with radiation everyone else at work and put was 12 weeks my family knew straight away

I told family and friends when i was 10 weeks i know this is early but i couldnt hold in the excitement much longer lol xx

I told my boss right away - so i was 4/5 weeks.

I work as a carer so it involves lifting and moving people - boss and 2 senior care workers knew from the beginning - told everyone else i had a sore back when i didnt want to do something specific. After that it kinda came out gradually as some people guessed - and i didnt want to jinx things by saying no.

We told the parents soon after finding out, told my office boss when I got my date for the scan and told her not to say anything then told everyone else straight after our scan... Including my manager, didn't have to make it official to work until 15 weeks before due date though... Just easier to let them know so you get your appointments off without booking holiday etc x oh and congratulations x

I told my boss straight away(5 weeks), but it was only because we were in a meeting discussing me managing a new team as someone is leaving for maternity leave in November, so I thought it was appropriate to let her know that I would potentially be leaving 6 months later!

I think if you think it is appropriate to tell them, then do, as even if something did happen, it's only one person that you have to tell - no-one else has to know :)

xx

i told parents at 13 weeks some friends at 16 weeks and then told work at 22-23 weeks.

its all down to how you feel as to when you tell people there is no right or wrong.

Ive only told work this week. As in my boss and the director. Haven't told colleagues yet. A small part of me wants to get them talking lol I mean - it's the unaskable question isn't it? Haha, I'm such a weirdo

Last edited:
I agree with Olive! Due to the nature of you job, I would tell them straight away! I told my family when I was 12 weeks (after I've had an reasurrance scan) and than I told my work at 13/14 weeks.

Good luck!

xx

I told my mum straight away! Then I told close family and very close friends at 8 weeks, but I also told my boss at 8 weeks cos I was feeling so sick and had to have an early scan so needed some time off. Everyone else found out after our 12 weeks scan xx

My OH told my Dad on the same day I found out I was pregnant, so I then told my Mum! OH has told hid Family and best mate, but apart from my parents I've told nobody! Don't want to tempt fate. Maybe after the 12 Week scan. We'll see!

I told my mum 2 days after I found out at 5 weeks pregnant, then the rest of the family within 3-4 weeks of that.
I told my manager before my mum because I was in so much shock!

But if your job could potentially cause problems for your pregnancy then I'd defo tell them sooner rather then later

Last edited:
I told my best mate straight away!! Our families at 7-8 weeks and my boss at 8 weeks - wanted to make sure I was covered for all the things like lifting, and she went along with the bad back lie!!! Everyone else knew just before my 12 week scan cause I had to keep asking people to cover for me while I went to throw up so most guessed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back