when to tell work

MrsH_

Reaction score
hi everyone
i was just wondering when did you all tell work?
or when is the best time?

i am so nervous about telling work there is only a small group of us that work there but im worried about how my boss is going to react! i know its ridiculous that im getting this worked up. I was gonna say something today cos i wanted to get it out the way but then i chickened out!

I was worried about telling my work too as I had only recently started back there and then found out I was pregnant and felt I was letting them down. I planned on not telling them to the last possible miniute, but its better to tell them as soon as because your entitled to paid time off to go to any antenatel appointments.... I ended up telling my work in time for my 12week scan as I couldn't wait any longer for my scan and it was my day to work so was unable to change.
I think your better telling your work once the pregnancy is confirmed as they are responsible for more. xx

thanks hun
thats what i feel like at the mo another girl i work with has just had a baby and another girl is off sick for a while at the mo so everybody is stressing that were short of staff! i dont wanna leave it too long because i think i will be more scared the longer i leave it

x

I think if I'd have left it a while it would have made it awkward for them. Another girl who I work with, she is expecting and due a week after me, so they had the both of us finish at the same time. x

and they didnt have the ump with you or anyfing?

i rekon il tell them between 8 and 12 wks then

thanks xx

I told my manager as soon as I found out. She was quite funny about it throughout my pregnancy though, because I'd only been working there a few weeks before I found out, plus she was apparently having problems conceiving herself..

I was 5 and a half weeks when I told her (and when I found out). Just tell them whenever you feel ready to. Don't care about other peoples reactions - it won't change the fact you ARE pregnant and WILL be going on Maternity Leave eventually. So don't stress about it :D

However, if your job poses a threat to your health and possibly your baby, then the sooner the better. But you don't actually have to confirm your pregnancy with your employer until you're 25 weeks.

Last edited:
I told work straight away at 5 weeks and they have been quite supportive although my manager can be a cow she's been ok when it comes to my appointments etc xxx

thanks for your help girls..

i am on my feet all day at work and rarely get a proper lunch break so i suppose the sooner i get it over and done with the better
and then i wont have to make so many excuses for appointments etc

Last edited:
thanks for your help girls..

i am on my feet all day at work and rarely get a proper lunch break so i suppose the sooner i get it over and done with the better
and then i wont have to make so many excuses for appointments etc

Yeah, you'll soon find that being on your feet will tire you out, so maybe best to mention it as soon as possible. Then people will know you're not just lazy :lol:

I report into two people, I told my manager at 7 weeks because I was feeling so rough and looking like it too!! I get on with him really well and was not worried at all.

I got myself into a right state when telling my other manager who is more senior.... I told him straight after my 12 week scan.... he didn't seem overly impressed and started asking about maternity leave etc which hubby and I need to sit down and work out....

The fact is, women have been having babies for centuries so no matter what your manger says the world will keep turning! Just tell them when you feel ready xx

They didn't have the humpf with me nope. I think the sooner you tell them the better as they will have to make changes for you to be comfortable. xx

ok decided im gonna tell em after my doctors appointment on monday. im scared lol

i told work at 14 weeks which was a bit silly but i was soo scared coz i hadnt been there long x

I dont blame you Loula ive been where i work for about 5 years and im still scared x

Last edited:
lo its such a horrible feeligng when you have such happy news to share. x

I told my head at 8 weeks so she could do the risk assessments and was going to tell the rest of the teachers after my 12 week scan but found the head had already been letting it slip!!! Was so pissed off that I told everyone else there and then - 3 days before my 12 week scan. In fairness I was throwing up so much I think some of them had already guessed...

I told my boss when I found out as she had to make certain provisions for my role as I work with chemicals etc. I explicitly told her to keep it to herself as we'd lost a baby at 10 weeks before and, at that point, even my dad didn't know (she did blab to someone else and I was really peed off at the time, but nothing I can do now).

Like Karate Kid says, women have been having babies for centuries, employers should be prepared for that.

Good luck hun! xxx

i think one of the girls has already guessed but i panicked and denyed it which is silly would have been a golden oppertunity

thanks for all your help

xx

I work in Council run Leisure Centre and had absolutely no problems telling work. I said to my direct supervisors as soon as I found out (4 weeks_ cos although I am full time receptionist I also teach fitness classes such as spinning and aerobics and this part I planned giving up as soon as I got BFP.

Legally your employer can't give you a hard time about being pregnant or it can be seen as sexual discrimination. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back