Hospital Bag

adele88

Reaction score
Right I know there is threads on here about what to pack in your hospital bag but i would like to quickly run through a little checklist and everyone tell me if i got everything.
firstly:

pjs before and after labour
dark towels
pads
underwear
makeup
change of clothes
music
magazines/ snacks
toiletries
brush

baby
few sleepsuits/vests
nappies
outfit
shawl
bottles

breastfeeding but will i still need milk? Anything else i should add to my checklist thanks guys x x

camera, list of contact numbers for family ( i know my OH will be useless and need a list of who to call), change for car park/ machines, drinks and snacks, slippers, Hairbands/ hairbrush, socks, hat and scratch mittens for baby....

when you say 'pads' does that incude breast pads? Youll need them cos your boobs are likely to leak. Also make sure youve got LOADS of underwear, you'll want to change more often than usual. Do you have a nightie to wear when youre in labour or will you just wear the hospital gown?

At my hospital they dont provide milk as they want people to breastfeed. But midwife said the cafe sold it downstairs but didnt make it obvious that they sell it, they hide it away unless you really cant breastfeed. Dont know if all hospitals are like that though. x

seriously?! Thats mental. There are lots of reasons why someone cant breastfeed. Sometimes they have to give you medications that mean you cant use your milk for a certain amount of time to protect the baby from it. Also sometimes mothers are too ill after surgery etc... to feed the baby, then what do they do?!

Well you can take in your own milk, or OH can go and buy the milk from the cafe/shop. I understand why they do it as if its easily available then people will just give up on breastfeeding if they find it slightly difficult. Depends on hospital though as if your hospital doesnt really support breastfeeding then they probably do have milk there. The hospital i had my daughter at had bottles of milk there, and i didnt get any help with breastfeeding, i was lucky i had my mum helping me x

That's was probably the best part if being in hospital for me when I had my daughter, they really supported you with the breastfeeding. I noticed that they were much more willing to help me out rather than the mums who weren't breastfeeding. They really checked that she had latched on correctly and was feeding well and gave really good advice. They even had practioners that would come round and sit with you for a while for chat, well I only think they did that with me actually, as they really took a shine to Grace - I was very lucky with the care I received!

i've packed bibs and a hat for baby as well

For myself...

dry shampoo
lip balm
bra top to wear in birthing pool
flannel

I wont be packing milk as def breastfeeding, know its tough so wont be even tempted, anyway too much hassle to take along sterilised bottles, teats etc

how many nappies and outfits for baby are girls taking in? I think i have 4 vests and 4 sleepsuits packed. Is this enough, too many? i want to stay for at least 1 night

Ive packed 3 vests, 3 sleep suits. But Ive actually got 6 cos we've got one set of tiny baby and one set of newborn size. Both OH and I were under 7lb and my bump is measuring at 37weeks now so I thought Id better be prepared. Ive also packed a going home outfit :love: completely unneccesary but I love the idea of getting him all dressed up for his first glimpse of the outside world :lol:

Ive packed a bikini top for the birthing pool too. lots of people have recommended lip balm so Ive packed some too.

Iv got 4 vests and 4 sleepsuits all in newborn up to 11lb :) but im having a domino birth so i should have baby and be home within 6hours as iv had a baby before. Id take a couple more if your in for the night though just in case x

i know its a bit early for me but.. i just picked out what to bring for the baby to the hospital :love: and its about to be washed! :love:
I think i just want to do something that make me smile and to wash all the clothes feels to early :D

(also made me realise i need a few more sleepsuits for newborn, all mine are quite big)

when you say 'pads' does that incude breast pads? Youll need them cos your boobs are likely to leak. Also make sure youve got LOADS of underwear, you'll want to change more often than usual. Do you have a nightie to wear when youre in labour or will you just wear the hospital gown?
i never really thought of breast pads i thought i could just use a bit of toilet paper or something lol. No i dont have a nightie either just pjs. i was intending on doing my hospital bag today but dont really have any of the stuff now:(

well im going to pack what i have just now and then add things to my bag when i get them.

i was thinking of packing baby's stuff in a seperate bag and just putting the bag into my bag. Im going to take some milk with me aswell just incase i decide not to breastfeed lol. I cant wait to pack baby's stuff i will be there forever choosing his outfit for leaving the hospital or i will end up with about 5 outfits with me because i cant decide lol x

i know its a bit early for me but.. i just picked out what to bring for the baby to the hospital :love: and its about to be washed! :love:
I think i just want to do something that make me smile and to wash all the clothes feels to early :D

(also made me realise i need a few more sleepsuits for newborn, all mine are quite big)

haha isobel its so exciting isnt it your so organised wish i was like you lol

i never really thought of breast pads i thought i could just use a bit of toilet paper or something lol. No i dont have a nightie either just pjs. i was intending on doing my hospital bag today but dont really have any of the stuff now:(

you dont have to wear a nightie. You could just wear a t shirt but you just might feel a bit exposed. They would give you a hospital gown if you wanted though, but I have a feeling they expose your bum so you wouldnt want to be walking around in it , or bending over the bed!! :rofl:

Breast pads are a must aparently. You can properly soak your tshirt with the milk when it comes in.

yep def take an old nighty for when youre in a labour as pjs will be no good. Breast pads are also a must although you might be lucky and not leak.

ALSO
Your notes!!!
I keep going to appointments without mine :shock:

thanks will need 2 get a nightie then gives me an excuse to go to primark anyway haha. i really never thought of breast pads at all can i just buy them from anywhere like superdrug etc. silly me :eh:

When you choose the nightie Adele, try to get one with buttons of a top bit that can come down if your trying breastfeeding to save you rolling it all up! And worst case if you ended up with a section you would want a night afterwards as catherters don't go well with PJ's!

Camera and spare batteries, digital card or film etc

Muslins for winding etc , nappy sacks ?

contact list , written in order for OH and a pen to add name, weight time etc , as my OH texted the wrong spelling of my daughters name and my first sons name! and forgot to tell the weight as he forgot it!! then he can do all that for you.

Def take slippers erghh hospital floors!

I got a nightie from primark for £3.50 and some lovely ballet type slippers for £2!!!!

well i thought i was totally organised until i read this thread now i need 2 go shopping again wohooo lol i have put what i have in my hospital bag jst now then i will go out and get the rest and do a checklist of what i got and what i need

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back