welsh names...

cherelle

Reaction score
Im English but i live in Cardiff with my OH who is very welsh and very patriotic!

We are trying to agree on some choices for names - he insists they are welsh and i dont mind that but i cant find mnay nice welsh names :-s

So far the only ones we agree on are Nia for a girl or Trystan or a boy.

Some of his suggestions are awful though lol! Any suggestions? xx

I have no idea of any Welsh names hun :lol: Sorry! Trystan is lovely, my OH wanted an Irish name and I also got hit with some mingers when we were discussing names :lol: xx

Mmm I'm not welsh so not much use but I do remember some Welsh girls on here posting lists of welsh names and being jealous as some were just lovely. Me and OH are both Scottish so think an obviously Welsh name would just sound daft for us!

Cerys isn't a bad name for a girl, and Daffyd for a boy, but other than that i'm stuck on welsh names, the only other one i know is Myfawny and thats only because my DH's grandma was named that and we were gonna use it as a middle name if we had a girl xx

we were gonna use Mali for a girl. ended up with Morgan. I love Owain, Ieuan..trystan is fab. for a girl also is lowri, cerys, seren... ive had a mental block but there are some lovely girly names, its a bit harder with boys names if you cant pronounce welsh too well. I love Dewi, but it seems only welsh people can say it right :lol:

Ooooh I love the names Lowri and Seren! So wish I was Welsh!

Celyn, just popped into my head!! It means Holly :flower:

I think Nia and Trystan are wonderful names!! Why are you even thinking about it?

thanks everyone!

Tiny - we both like Mali so thats also a possiblity, We agreed on Mali months ago whilst ttc but weve said the name so much now im bored of it! lol. I love Morgan too - think its nice for either boy or girl x

I have chosen Bethan which is welsh even though I prefer Irish names especialy Aingeal I think it's really pretty. =) xXx

i have a tristan :) and i love nia :) remember to pick a name that your side of the family wont have a hard time saying just do a search of welsh names there are loads

Dylan's Welsh too, my little brother was born prem while we were visiting my parent's best friends i Cardiff 18 years ago, they called him Keiran Daffydd :)

i only know of two
girl- faylon (but you pronounce it as fallon) so im told lol
boy- dewi

the welsh lad i know is named martyn david edward carey
but i know thats just how he says it to people here so we understand him lol

i know the david bit changes to Daffydd when hes visiting family lol

Last edited:
I knew a guy from Cardiff and he sounded more english when he spoke than i did :roll:

There are loads of welsh baby name websites :)

My favourite Welsh names are Bryn (boy) or Tomos (boy) and Ffion (girl) or Gwenyth (girl) :love:

Yeah they dont have too much of a welsh accent here in Cardiff - my fella is from back west though so even i struggle with his very strong accent sometimes lol! Sexy though :)

We are going to have a little bilingual family :)

I like Bryn - hadnt heard that one before. My OH likes Mabli atm but im NOT convined! x

I am welsh but baby is being born in england as we are on the border and hubby wanted english baby we looked at names and I really liked Caiden for a boy but he wouldn't agree on it when we found out we were having a boy.

Seren is lovely for a girl too as is Cerys or Carys, Nia.

us too. Im surprised how much support there is out there for welsh speaking families. My welsh has improved so fast aready!:dance:

us too. Im surprised how much support there is out there for welsh speaking families. My welsh has improved so fast aready!:dance:

yeah - have you contacted twf? Its a government scheme i think that apparently sends you out some tapes and books etc if youre looking to have a welsh and english speaking family.

My welsh is very basic and not great but im hoping to learn more and more with my little one! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back