Weight Issues

PotatoHead

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas/opinions etc about weight and how it affects conceiving a baby?

I am a size 18, 5'2", so obviously could do with losing a bit (ok, a lot!) of weight. But I wonder how much it would actually hinder getting a BFP. I know of several women who fell pregnant while a similar size - and bigger.

I know that ideally I should be in tip top health when TTC, so should I start frantically dieting?

I am a size 16-18 and only 4ft 11" hun and I fell pregnant last year. However, it did take 3 months. Not long though. I don't really have much advice regarding regarding the weight loss etc other than the usual "weight loss will help" in general. If you are concerned about your weight and what you are eating etc, there is a website myfitnesspal.com which may be of use to you. It is free. Has a ton of foods listed on there with all their nutritional info etc so whatever you eat you can search for and keep a track of your calories intake etc. I signed up about 6 weeks ago for interest to start with. I had one day where I went over my calorie intake by about 600 cals and since then I have lost 7lb, and cut down my portion sizes. I am not any hungrier for cutting portions down either!

Went off on one a bit there but I hope that helps? I personally wouldn't go on a crash diet or anything but if you monitor your calories etc and don't go over it, drink plenty of water etc you should be able to lose 1-3lb a week "naturally" - and that is according to a dietician who I saw the other year :) Hope that helps and good luck :) xx

Last edited:
Thanks for Munchkin - I will check that website out. Food is my serious weakness, no will power and I'm such a comfort eater:pizza: but I really would like to lose some weight not just for TTC but for my own health.

Hope you don't mind me asking.....Did you have any weight related problems during your pregnancy?

You are very welcome! I am awful with food too hun but if you are anything like me, when you start keeping a daily record of what you are eating and see the calories tot up etc, you'll probably find that you either change your portion size, or go for the "healthier option".

It wasn't termed as a "weight-related" problem during my pregnancy but I was polyhydramnic... which basically means
I carried ALOT of excess fluid. And I mean... ALOT. To the point where they were all telling me expect a 10lb-er etc (even before I went into theatre) but Layla was born 7lb 5.5!

Other than that, nothing else really... we all thought I may suffer from pregnancy diabetes due to weight but infact, my sugar levels etc with the tests came out at the lowest they have ever been! I always keep testing myself as my father is very heavily diabetic so likely that I may end up with diatetes too... so I like to keep tabs on it!

Sorry I can't be much help in terms of weight-related problems in pregnancy but maybe some of the other girls on here may be able to help on that! :) xx

Hiya Potatohead :)

The problem is that the same issue can effect everyone differently and just because one person wasn't effected by their weight doesn't mean that you won't be.

You don't know. It might stop you ovulating and i even wonder if the fat could squish your tubes closed :eh:

I'm 5'2 and weigh 11st7 and i feel it after weighing 9st 7 only a couple of years back.

To be a size 18, you'd weight what, about 14 or 15 st? You can't be very comfortable for a start and if you like to eat you like to eat :)

So maybe try working on improving your ability to support your own weight with muscle building and toning rather than trying to lose weight or doing loads of cardio - that is what i'm aiming for anyway ;)

A swim session and a workout class per week would be a good start.

I know it's not easy but i already feel a whole lot better for a couple of weeks of a bit of effort and i haven't lost a pound.

Thanks Louise, You are right - I am uncomfortable and actually pretty ashamed that it's got this bad:-(

Hi have to admit I bought a bike a few weeks ago and haven't had it out of the garage since.... good intentions eh?!

Thank you both for your replies - I feel a bit inspired to do something about it. Wish me luck!!

Hey, this time last year I was a size 22 which I know is much bigger than you but the thing that started my weight loss journey was a visit to the dr. All be it I think a rude and quite nasty one but it did get me thinking. I had gone as I was worried about ttc and the dr basically just told me. Your obese and thats your problem. She asumed I had polycistic ovaries (I didn't) and told me unless I loose weight I wouldnt be given support while ttc. Also she talked of the extra complications that could happen during pregnancy because of the weight.

As you can imagine I was absolutely gutted. The thought that even if there was something wrong they wouldnt even look as I was so overweight. It got me thinking there must be something in it and I wanted to loose weight for me.

Im not at all saying that you are in this position or in fact that my dr was probably correct in the information that I wouldnt receive any help but I wanted to wipe the smug horrible patronising smile off her face and give her no excuse as to helping me with ttc.

Im have an appointment a week on Tues withe her and Im now a size 10 and she better
bloody help me!

Good Luck to you. Do whats right for u!

OMG well done Laurat!!! How did you manage to lose so much weight if you don't mind me asking? According to the charts etc I need to weight 7st something - that practically half of what I weigh now :-( xx

Last edited:
Thanks Munchkin! I lost 7st and 3 lbs in total so it can be done. I was following the WW plan. I have found it worked like a dream for me. I never feel hungry and still treat myself regularly.

Good luck potatoe head :good:

Thats fab laurat :)

My dad is very overweight but be lost a load with the help of friendly Nhs dietician ;)

wow... that is so cool. I know i've managed to lose 7lb in 4 weeks so if I keep it up, could lose the weight. How have you found such a "big" weight loss? I'm always scared about losing so much weight and suffering from the "extra skin" problem... :-( xx

Well the benefits way outweigh the negatives. I feel so much better in myself. I know it sounds cliche but I do. I look in the mirror and cant believe its me. I feel healthier and fitter. I think people view me differently as well. Weird to say but Im noticed in a positive way by others. (weird garble). Ive always been overweight since primary school.

Dont get me wrong I do have excess skin on my arms and at my tummy but the only person to see it is my hubby and he loved me at my biggest. Whats extra skin!

7lbs in four weeks is brilliant. Go you!

Well the benefits way outweigh the negatives. I feel so much better in myself. I know it sounds cliche but I do. I look in the mirror and cant believe its me. I feel healthier and fitter. I think people view me differently as well. Weird to say but Im noticed in a positive way by others. (weird garble). Ive always been overweight since primary school.

Dont get me wrong I do have excess skin on my arms and at my tummy but the only person to see it is my hubby and he loved me at my biggest. Whats extra skin!

That's great hun :) I can't wait to lose more weight - i'm all for being healthier etc. I know my OH loves me for who I am and how I am now etc but it would just be so nice to walk into a clothes shop and be able to come out having bought a size 12! :) xx

Wow Laurat, that's amazing, I'm so impressed... and even more inspired now. Congratulations

There should be a weight loss thread on here.... a kind of weekly weigh in and food discussion. It helps to have support and hear success stories

There was a few months ago actually but most of the girls luckily got their BFP! You could maybe start it and folk will join in. Hopefully bumper healthier BFP's will come of it!

Good luck with the weight loss. I am 5 ft 4 and have just joined weight watchers online as I would like to lose a couple of stone (currently 11st 10) so a chunky size 14. I find the online system really helps me as I have to log everything I eat in a day, and it really makes me think about what I am consuming. I'd be very happy to join a weight loss thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back