Randomly booked a GP appointment to talk TTC, now I don't know what to expect or ask!

Lewa

Reaction score
Soooo.. I've read some people advise others to go see your gp when you start TTC, just to kind of get it on the record in case of fertility issues further down the road etc, and I walked by the doctor today so thought I might as well get an appointment! I'm going there on Wednesday next week.

I don't have a clue really what I should ask about or check or anything, so any clues and ideas about that would be great so I don't seem like a complete fool :p

DH has given me a thing to ask about about him.. and I guess I could mention I have kind of irregular and sometimes long cycles, but other than that I'm fairly blank.

Will she take any samples of anything, write down my weight, health and stuff? Check my cervix? ( I guess that would be a gynecologist rather than GP.. but I don't know lol)

Feel kind of stupid now! :p

All comments greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I didn't go when we started, but got a health checkup on private health (cheap with work) just before and just had a chat. Didn't get much out of it, all they asked was how much we drank and checked height and weight...

When me and OH went for our doctors appt - she mainly talked to us and asked questions about our general health, whether we had any previous pregnancies or miscarriages, any history of medical conditions, whether we smoked, how much we drank...that kind of thing really. Then she asked me about my cycles; how long they lasted, how often etc.

She didn't weigh us or check my cervix or anything like that!

Then she said she would send me for a blood test and OH a sperm test.

The only thing i can think for you to ask about is getting tested for your rubella immunity, which they might even do on the day. They'll need a blood sample.

Besides that, you might want to be a bit careful about what you say...

The Nhs says that someone needs to be ttc 1 years before having fertility diagnostics, but some GPs try making patients wait 2 years.

So regardless of what you tell them about your symptoms, they might simply say "well, some back in 2 years if you aren't pregnant" which will suck.

You might be better off telling them that you have already been ttc for several months if they ask.

If they don't ask, fine :)

The things you might want to ask them about is your concerns about your cycles etc and also maybe ask them if they have any advice to give to try and maximise your chances ;)

Good luck!

good suggestions from Louise as always!!

hope your appt goes well xx

Thank you all! This information has helped a lot!

Louise B - We've been NTNP for several months, so I guess I can say we've been trying for months, but that I just started using OPK's etc this month.. Then I'm still being honest! (For hubby NTNP was definitely trying, as he was pretty sure I'd be pregnant by now and he's been really surprised to find out how little the fertile window is etc.) So we've kind of "eased" into it I guess.

I'll make a little list of things I wonder about or want checked (some of the things suggested here) and see what the dr. says and asks about as well etc.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!! :)

It went well at the doctors I think. She was very nice and kind and said we can do bloods right away now (said we've been trying for about half a year now, which is when we started NTNP) and since I also have irregular cycles she thought it could be good to get some bloodwork done to just rule out things basically, she thought nothing would be wrong, and that I will just have to wait a little longer. She also said that normally you have to wait for 18 months for fertility treatment, but that sometimes you can get it sooner. (it seemed like because I'm young, never had any STD's, don't drink or smoke, healthy weight etc I might be able to get help sooner because I should have a high fertility). She told me to call when I get my period to book an appointment to get my bloods done, because it's best to do it at that time. Hopefully I won't get my period :p Still waiting for af, now on cycle day 41 of a cycle that's 31 days on average... (ovulated late, but still.. really annoying, and a very long cycle! And don't really know when I ovulated so I don't know when to expect AF!)
But yeah, all in all good, and I'm glad she took my irregular periods seriously, even though they're not even that irregular (usually... right now it is.. so I guess maybe that helped :p)

I was kind of hoping they'd take some blood samples there on wednesday and that they'd find out that I was pregnant! But that didn't happen... oh well. Just have to wait now..

That's really good Lewa :)

Just how young are you?

I'm not sure what she said about you being treated any quicker is true, but you certainly will have better chances of success the earlier you start.

It nice when they take you seriously.

I'm 22. Well, you said some gp's say 1 year, others 2 years, so I guess here the standard is 18 months, but that it can vary a little with different circumstances?
Which I guess kind of makes sense.

Anyway, got my period like 30 min ago, so now I can get those bloodtests done I guess! :p
She said I might have mild PCOS, but that I probably don't, since I don't seem to have other symptoms than irregular periods.

We'll see, we'll see. Oh, yeah, and hubby can get a sperm test done, but at the moment he doesn't really want to do that :p

Ah, i was just thinking of the ages that you would need to be for IVF :)

If you are just going off you, then clomid shouldn't be an issue, althought i'd be surprised if hubby got away without a semen test - i mean they wouldn't want to spend money on treatment and you wouldn't want to waste your treatment quota if you hubby has dodgy sperm :eh:

Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back