Weight drop.. When to worry?

I think they are supposed to gain about 4-7oz a week, my Sophia dropped a little after having Bronchiolitis about 6 weeks ago and i need to get her weighed to make sure she has picked up again but typically she has yet another cold! She is def off her feeds the last couple of days too xx

Poor bubba :( get her weighed before she drops coz of the cold she's got, and u might not know if she's gained enough in that time iykwim?
I hope she feels better soon..
So a drop of 2oz in two weeks isn't good then is it?

my friends lo is dropping centiles because of teething but he wont take a bottle either.
I say its good that they are checking her but some babies are born not on "their centile". As long as she stays on it, its fine.
My lo is allergic to cows milk and he was dropping too. I have been on dairy free diet since he was 7 weeks plus prescription formula.
Try dairy free and see if it makes a difference. Yoy can get rice milk(ok with cereal, porridge etc. Coconut milk is good with tea and coffee, i dont like soya milk either. Holland and barrett will have reasonable selection.
Hope yoy get answers soon
sent from my Galaxy s2

Thanks hun I'll try anything and everything to get her back on track.. She was born on 50th but dropped to 25th and stayed there til now :( I hope it's just teething.. She's still got a shitty cold so it's hard to build her weight back up when she feels rough :(

Last edited:
Yeah def the cold won't be helping as thu tend to take less when poorly, esp with a cold as they find it hard to breathe and feed at the same time. Sophia has fed a little better today but still off he usual standard! I'm not too worried as she's prob taking a normal amount just not excessive like usual! She's having about 5/6oz's at a feed rather than 8/9oz. Need to get her weighed tomorrow so hoping she has gotten back up to her line. She was between 50th and 75th. She seems to be filling her clothes well and looks a little chunk so not too worried.

I think it's true though that some babies don't follow the centile at which they were born. My eldest was born 75th dropped to 50th and followed that consistently. She is now just under 25th at 4 years old. She has lost weight recently but seems to have followed the 25th since she was about 2. They soon find their line and I found with her it sometimes changes a they get older!

Yeah I agree.. Glad she's still feeding well :) I'm bf so I have no idea how much she's getting but she's been shortening her feeds :(
I bottle fed my eldest two and try we're both born on 50th and stayed on 50th dead on the line every time.. I'm not used to the drops lol! Hoping to get some reassurance at gp tomorrow!

Sorry might be stupid question but have you got the breast feeding graph. I only ask as with my eldest I was given a different graph to follow as bfing. The expected em weekly weight gain is less.she still dropped to second percentile on that one but wouldn't have even been on the graph with the normal one. With my lo there is only one graph in my red book and I haven't been given a bf one. Doesn't explain the weight loss but might explain the percentile differential x

From what I have read they changed the charts to WHO which are bf based

Never heard of a bf chart!! You'd think they'd know that would u! Thanks for that info babe I'll ask gp tomorrow!! Of there's anything else I should ask them please let me know!!

Only just caught up on this thread, sorry you've been having such a tough time, hope it all goes well at the gp tomorrow hon x

He said she's technically only dropped one centile as she was born on 50th but dropped and stayed on 25th.. He's reccomended topping her up with formula if she wants more food.. And referred us to the clinic in hospital to get her checked over coz he doesn't think her pooing activity is right.. Overall he said he's not concerned that much which is good, and hospital will get in contact with an app date, of she gains weight by then we can cancel it.. He said teething may be a factor and also her cold.. Debating the formula top up gonna post a thread on it.. He said only to top up if she seems hungry.. Tbh I forgot about allergies etc :wall: I always do that!! But he didnt mention it, so of it was possible I'm sure he would have? He asked if she was sick at all which she isn't.. Tummy feels fine and just to weigh her every week to see if she picks up, if she does we can cancel hosp and go back to two weeks weighing.. Gonna eat like a horse for the next week see if that makes a difference!! He suggested maybe waking her for an extra feed but she may not like that (which she doesn't!)
Thanks for all your support ladies :) haven't really got an answer but I've got reassurance that it's not serious just yet!

Sounds Positive for now. Hopefully she will sort herself out but if not at least you have the reassurance of the hospital appointment. Fingers crossed you will be able to cancel it though x

Was wondering how it went today, sounds positive lets hope she puts a bit of weight on in the next few weeks. Eat lots of high carb foods like flap jacks and oaty things x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Been eating so much I feel sick lol! Defo try some oaty things will ready brek be ok?

Yeah ready brek be good. I've just eaten some raisins from my bedside store, even have to eat during the night feeds!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That's breakfast sorted then!! :D
I LOVE chocolate raisins!! Oooh I cud eat those for brekkie every day!!
Lily is still asleep :) attempted a feed at 12 last night.. Didn't go down too well with her lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back