Weight drop again :(

Jayceesmumma

Reaction score
Got her weighed and she's 10lb 10oz :( she was 10.12 two weeks ago.. She's on the 2nd centile line now :(

This hv was very helpful! She said I should have weighed her last week too like I thought (other hv said wait two weeks grrr) so they'd have a clearer picture of her weight.. She felt much heavier and fed much better last week and due to this cough she's fed less this week :( she's referred us to gp on Friday.. She said not to top up just keep feeding as often as I can and she said she should be more awake in the days now.. Also said not to do an extra feed in the night like the other hv suggested but to feed her more in the day.. Makes sense! She doesn't usually work at my clinic but suggested I go to her clinic next Thursday instead so she can keep check on her :) asked her about early weaning and if it would be better than formula top ups and she said if the formula is mixed with food it's better but not to start anything til gp visit..

Why is this happening to her??

She said I should be taking vitamins too for her so I'll have to research that too.. I stopped taking fenugreek this week as I didn't think it was doing anything maybe I should start up again?? Give it more time to kick in? Is there anything else I can take?? Can they prescribe anything to increase my milk?? I'm providing 4 hourly feeds if I feed her more wont it take from the next feed if u know what I mean??

Overall unhappy with her weight and annoyed the hv told me not to weigh her last week when I should have.. But I'm glad I've seen this hv she seems more clued up!! Asked her what I should do in the meantime and she said just keep breast feeding and not to top up or my supply with decrease..

Gosh I really don't know what to say and didn't want to read and run. Have u made an appt yet? When is it?

Friday morning..
She also suggested that when she fusses coz she's tired to try and feed again.. Just done it and she didn't want a full feed, I hope it doesn't take from the next feed :(

Your body should produce more milk before then! Hopefully! How is she in herself? Is she awake more yet?

Don't worry it wont take from the next feed as your body will up its milk production so if you can maybe try to feed her every 3.5hrs and your body will adjust. Xx

Def try every 3.5hrs and your body will adjust. Maybe express a little as well after she feeds so more milk is made. R u doing 10mins left then 10mins right? I tend to feed 15-20mins on one boob Then offer next one as the hind/fatty milk takes a while to come through?
Oh Hun it must be so upsetting. If I were ib your shoes I would set a date and weight gain target and if it's not happened I would move to formula even though I love bf-ing. Please dont take that as an insult to you bf-ing but it's a difficult call if baby isn't putting on weight and losing it. Also have u upped your calorie and water intake? Snack between meals and drink5 pints a day....good luck xxx

Thanks ladies, with the stress of recent events I haven't been eating properly this last week so it's my fault :( starting fenugreek again too.. No offense taken, if the hv says to me she needs formula then she will get it 100%
When she's awake she's alert and very content! She's holding her head MUCH better now and playing with her toys on her mat whereas before she would just stare.. She wants to sleep after 45mins max tho..

:hugs:

Sorry to hear this, I know its not much help but at least its not a dramatic weight loss if that makes sense.

Hope all goes well with the gp. I suppose they will know best of the next step to take!! If the worst comes to the worst & you decide to stop BF'ing, at least you gave it a good shot!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

That's really upsetting for you. As you know I had problems with weight gain with eldest as she would only put on a little bit of weight and was on the second percentile but I was fortunate not to get her weighed when she had lost weight. Hopefully it's just the cold this week and she will gain next week. I have never fed for specific lengths of time. With my eldest the advice was to let them feed on one until it was totally drained and then of necessary offer the other. Start on the second boob for the next feed. I used to have to wear a headband on my wrist so I knew which one to start with. My eldest always took nearly an hour to feed. Hv now saying latest research shows that they get some foremilk and hind milk in every mouthful. They may also switch between boobs as the flow of each one changes or if they are thirsty and prefer the consistency of one of them. So I now pretty much let my lo chose rather than trying to keep her on one. And also only yaks about 15 mins to feed. Unlike my eldest who was never bothered by milk my youngest can feed every three, two or ond and half hours depending on her mood that day! She also doesn't feed much in the night like your lo. Agree with others try every 3 and half hours. Sorry rest of this post not much help but wanted to point out that even in two years how much the advice has changed. Not sure what you do but could be worth trying different approach? Personally I prefer to offer one feed a day of formula rather than top up with formula at every feed. I would find it much easier to manage with more than one child. You could express after the formula feed and then top up with breast milk of you need to during the day as breast milk can stay at room temp for ages so it's easy to take of out and about. Hopefully you won't need to think about this though unless you have to in which case you will make the decision that feels right for you and your little one x

Oh hun !!! Can't add much as I have never bf would think u have done an amazing job and like someone said she isn't losing lots of weight ! So glad u have found a helpful hv sure that will make all the difference ! Bless Lilyanna sounds like is has caught right up and now what's to show off her skills !
Try not to worry to much Hun and just try all the advice the girls have suggested sure things will have improved soon an hope all goes well with Gp xxx

Thanks for that detailed reply Kbex :) she loves the let down so takes that then fusses for the other side.. I'll let her have the let down from then then switch back to first then finish on second.. Sometimes she will take 10mins one side and 10 on the other and she's done.. Or she will get both let downs and not want anymore!
I'm gonna stick with this hv she seems to know her stuff and is pro bf! The rest r like 'just put her on a bottle.. Easy option' but that's not what I want.. Obviously something is wrong here id rather fix it than take the easier route straight away! I've failed bf twice before and it was so hard :(

I dont think anyone should think of it as failing. Some people are able to and chose to bf some people can't of chose not to. Any combination of that it not a failure. In your case you have chosen to bf and are doing a great job at it as I am sure you are with every decision you make for your girls. Great you have a sensible hv you can trust. Just try and relax and enjoy your lo and not let the stress of this affect that.

Oh dear... Sorry you are worried again Hun

Just wanted to say that G is such a piglet - he eats every 1.5-2 hrs! And i don't think it affects my supply. I even express twice a day (I will need to start leaving him with my mum from time to time soon, so I'm preparing milk for him). I'm sure you can feed her more often and your body will adjust! Just try to et and drink loads!

Xx

Oh I don't know you to say, I really feel for you as your trying so hard. That's good you have found a pro bf hv that will help.
I take fenugreek, a multi vitamin i was given by hv and omega 3. I only feed on one side each feed apart from his bedtime feed. And as you know Kynon feeds 2 hourly night and day and there is always milk there! I do eat loads though Im constantly snacking!
Please don't blame yourself for this if you end up having to give formula you haven't failed in anyway you've done brilliant to bf exclusively this long x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

aww hun :(

You're having such a hard time lately.

I know you were worried about her weight gain before so you must be even more worried now shes lost a bit. Like some of the others said, two ounces isn't alot. I know any weightloss is a worry to all mums but its not a dramatic weight loss. I'm sure your main concern though is getting her going again in the right direction.

I can't offer any advice regarding breastfeeding as i didn't breastfeed savannah so have no experience really but you've done a fabulous job so far!

Glad you've found a decent hv as well! I swapped clinics and much prefer our new hv.Everyone has different opinions but you would have thought that seeing as hvs are proffesionals they would all have pretty much the same ideas?!

Really hope your appointment goes well on friday for you and lillyanna.

You've had an awful time lately... try not to be too hard on yourself.

xxx

Oh thats such a shame shes lost a bit but don't let it get you down. She sounds like such a content little thing so you are definitely doing nothing wrong! I'm a firm believer in if they're hungry they will let you know!

I don't think I can really add anything to whats already been said, I tend to only feed Jack from one boob at each feed and he is going 4 hours between feeds...I occasionally give him little top ups in between. He now sleeps between 9pm and 6am so I'm generally not feeding between those times.

I really hope GP can offer you some advice xxx

Hi JM, i just wanted to tell you i offer Issac a feed every 2hours and my milk changed with the demand :-D because of his tingue tie he doesnt stay on even though i know there is milk left so what i do is feed from one side until he comes off then i offer it another 2times once he has come off (which is normally quite quick) i offer the other side, he still seems a little hungry but the dummy is enough to take his mind off it and i cant express hence the 2hour gap i give.

I also dropped the bedtime booby feed as he refused and wanted a bottle and because i cant express i just stuck with formula.

Dont think its your fault, your giving her the best and her weight is being monitored, your doing the best you can for her

x

Thanks ladies :) just so down atm even Scott has had a go at me for letting the housework slip :( so much bad stuff going on at the mo and its hard but he doesn't understand at all. They never do!

Have you been to see someone about getting his tongue cut? It helped lilyanna latch on perfectly almost immediately!

Gonna keep feeding as often as possible I've fed her about six or seven times today and gonna feed her again soon.. Need to get some vitamins in me too! Just wish her weight would stay steady :( she's gone from 50th born right down to 2nd now :( she's probably so sleepy coz she's not got any energy! :(

It's hard not to feel bad when she's not getting what she needs from me!

I'm waiting for an appointment, hopefully not too long.. it may just take time for her weight to settle, it might sound strange but if we shrink our meals then our stomach and appertite shrinks in theory she may just be starting to get an appertite now she can latch on properly.

That's just a personal theory tho. Don't feel bad, this could of still happened with the bottle as the tongue tie would of still restricted her and tired her out x

Tell Scott to do the housework if he's moaning you need to spend lots of time feeding and resting when you can to help your body adjust! I think all you can really do is keep offering. My sister had this a bit with my niece she dropped a bit of weight and she got told to feed 2 hourly round the clock for a week, was exhausting but her weight went up and her milk increased and stayed increased. She went back to 4 hourly after that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back