Weight drop.. When to worry?

Jayceesmumma

Reaction score
She's been struggling to feed recently and her weight was 10.11 two weeks ago but now 10.9.. When should I worry?? She had her jabs today and I got her weighed myself.. Gonna take her to baby clinic wed to speak to a hv and recheck her weight...

Def keep an eye on it, you might need to up her feeds as she does sleep a lot. I'm guessing a couple of ounces over a couple of days is fine but if that's over a few weeks you should def speak to health visitor. Does she seem ok otherwise? HV was worried when Kynon only put on 3 ounces in 2 weeks but he had a cold so i guess he wasn't feeling well, he soon made up for it though! He hasn't been weighed since, they rarely do it here so we don't worry, they say as long as they are happy and healthy and you can see their clothes getting smaller on them it doesn't matter!

She's had a cold and been struggling to feed when it gets to the night time.. If I try and feed her when she doesn't want it she gets angry :( I didn't think it would make her weight drop like that.. :(
She seems happy most of the time, she's been a bit crappy in the evenings but I put it down to the not pooing often thing (her dr is gonna call me within 48hrs to discuss that)
There's no way I could feed her more than she wants she won't have it the stubborn moo! If shes not feeling 100% then she prob won't want to feed but she's only had a full blown cold since yesterday.. She won't take a bottle either.. The only other option is early weaning really.. Fed both Jaycee and Ellie from 12weeks (it was ok back then, it's changed now). I was planning on waiting as long as possible to feed her food.. But if she's hungry and won't drink more I dot really have any other options :(

Last edited:
Dr just called he said it was a good idea to go baby clinic on Wednesday.. Started asking about her development like rolling over etc.. I know she should b doing this by now but she's not coz she always sleeps.. Could there be something wrong with her?? Been feeding her for ten mins so far on one side she's dozing again after a 2/3hr sleep.. When she's awake she's so alert and happy though.. He advised to make an app after clinic for someone to check her over.. Hope nothing is wrong :(

Hun I hope the HV can help out on weds and give u some advise as to what to do. Do u make her as naked as possible for feeds to stop her falling asleep during the feed? Hope she's ok xx

It's a bit early for rolling yet, Jacob has only just started that the last couple of weeks and he can only do it from front to back so far and he is 16 weeks so I wouldn't worry about that part hun xxx

Last edited:
Thanks hun.. She hardly even kicks when she's on her playmat :roll: the girls rolled on their front at this age.. But she has no intention of even trying lol! My nephew is 9weeks older than her and he's just started rolling on his front..

I'm hoping hv can help somehow.. I can't really keep her naked atm coz she has a nasty cold and my back door is letting in a huge draft and as its in the front room, it's always cold :( constantly got the heating on, been on my housing associations case about it for five months now and they keep messing me about :( been complaining about this door for four years, I've demanded a new one now.. Everyone else has their new pvcu doors but I still have the old wooden one that bows at the top and bottom :( they've 'fixed it' 8-9 times now taking it off, shaving it down, draft excluders etc etc anything to avoid giving me my new door!! Not waiting any longer!! *rant over* lol!

Really worried about her weight it's on the 9th centile line now.. She was born on the 50th.. She's still so small I can't get any clothes to fit her it's costing me a fortune! She's too big for tiny baby now but too small for most newborn! The only ones that fit her perfectly were boots! Tiny baby was perfect then as soon as she out grew those newborn was perfect but now she's out of those, 0-3 are too big :( feet look like she's wearing flippers :roll: they just don't do lilyanna size anywhere :(

I'm worried she has a blockage and always feels full so doesn't feed as much.. I know I'm making enough as he never empties my breasts.. She's done four poos since and including 23rd dec!!

Try not to worry Hun although I know it's hard. How old is she now as can't see on IPhone. get her weight done at clinic might just be where u did it itself and each scale may differ slightly. speak to health visitor and get appointment with doc after.

Would worry bout rolling over each child is different Ewan rolled at 4 months then didn't again till 6-7 months.

Here if want to talk xx

Don't worry too much yet (easier said than done) Kynons not really doing a lot of developmental things yet either, certainly not 4 month things and he can't roll either. He's roughly the same adjusted age as lillyanna, he does hit and kicks things and grabs things. He's quite strong though but is a big boy. How's her head control? I guess it's hard not to compare to your other two as well, I do this then remember I shouldn't as they are all different. Not sure how you can get her to feed more, I wouldn't give her food yet though without speaking to HV and doctor as if she does have something wrong with her tummy you could make things worse. Let us know how you get on wed xx

I think they defo are not supposed to drop weight at this age. Dont want to worry you but defo get her checked hun. You probably have tried offering her more, but did you try waking her up for a feed? I know they say not to wake a sleeping baby but if she has dropped weight, then maybe see if she takes more if you offer her?

Just wanted to say not to worry about the rolling, Colby still not done this and he's 5 months next week. They defo develop at different rates. I don't have much advice on weight gain, I hope you get some answers hun, hopefully HV will be able to shed some light for you xx

Thanks ladies
BabyA she's 3 months now
Her head control is the same as a month old, I sit her up and her head will flop right down.. I think she needs more tummy time..
I sometimes have to wake her for her feed at 4hr mark she doesn't like it much lol I was thinking of waking her every three hours to get an extra feed in the day as she's only doing 4 a day.. But has done since 4 weeks.. But then if I try and feed her more it may hurt her tummy ur right sarah.. Defo not gonna try foods til I speak to someone..
I weighed her on the same scale she is always weighed on just noone was there..
Poor little bugger :(

She's a stubborn little one that loves to sleep and gets angry if I don't let her sleep when she wants to.. I try and feed her more when she pulls away after ten mins but she just gets pissed off with me so I give her a few mins then try again but get the same and she sleeps.. Sometimes she can feed for nearly an hour though..

Oh honey these babies can really make us worry can't they!

I would say dont worry about the developmental things like rolling as that will some, it is early yet for that like the other girls have said. That will come once her weight increases. I agree with Knopk though she shouldn't really be losing weight and I'm sure they say a two centile line drop is when they would investigate possible issues. She does sound quite sleepy, although its hard to know as what's normal for one baby will not be for another!

Is she having plenty of wet nappies?

You can do a test to check if she is getting enough - she should do at least 10 wees a day. Good luck with speaking to HV, I didnt let my lo cross 2 centile lines but i knew what the issue was.

Let us know how you get on

My eldest didn't lose weight but gained hardly any weight. She dropped to the second percentile where she stayed. She was always happy, good sleeper etc so I just told myself not to worry. Although often was easier said that done. Best to get her checked out though as worrying is awful. She didn't fit 0-3 months clothes until over 3 months. I used ti out her in Gap clothes, and still do, as their sizes really small. Next and m and s also do an up to one month size which is between newborn and 0-3. She was in that for ages. Hope visit to hv goes ok x

:hugs: its a bloody worry isnt it ? I would get her check out though . Lily dropped two centiles and needed a special formula to help her gain weight for a bit even though she was developmentally perfect (mind you our case is a bit different as we found out ) but it still sounds like she isnt pooing enough either x

Thanks ladies.. Just found it odd that the doc asked about her development I wasn't really that worried about that..
She does have a few wet nappies a day I feed her 4 times a day and change before a feed and sometimes if I feel she's done a wee I'll change her so 4-6 a day...
I'm forever asking if she's sleeping too much and every hv has said its fine as long as she's alert when awake which she is..
What was the problem with your babies if u don't mind me asking?
I've tried next clothes but they don't fit her :( I'll try m and s next :) gotta get some shirts for the girls at John Lewis they are much thicker than bhs so I'll have a look in there too!
Can't wait for Wednesday! Need to get my mind at ease with what's wrong so I can fix it! Never bf a baby this long before so I don't know what's normal and what's not.. Her farts STINK which also leads me to believe there may be a blockage..
Oh my poor baby :( she's got a rotten cold green shit coming out of her nose and forever coughing, had her jabs today and has conjunctivitis on top!!

Last edited:
The poor pet :( she sounds like shes having a rough time of it . Well Lily has just being diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and one of the symptoms is bad absorbtion of nutrients and huge loose foul smelling pooh . So thats why she's so tiny . Hopefully whern she gets checked put you will have some answers and it will put your mind at ease x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back