... Please nothing more!

So_hopeful81

Reaction score
I have had enough!

After our hard week last week, the only thing I was delighted about was that on day 5 when they re-weighed Ella she had only lost 20g of her birth weight.
Then my midwife came to visit on Monday (day 7) and she had lost a tiny bit of weight. Today my midwife weighed her again, and she said she has lost even more weight! Now she has to come again on Saturday for another weigh.

I am just so tired of things not being right! I just wish that things would just strt to go right! I honestly thought that we may have one or two things to worry about because of her DS. But infact, her DS doesn't even come into it- I'm now just having serious worries Bout her feeding and her weight!

I feel like all I am doing is expressing (30 mins) and then feeding her. It's taking her 3 hours to feed on 2 oz, which is what the docs want her to have to pull her platelets up!!!

I never thought that I would say this, but I wish that she wouldn't be so sleepy and would cry with hunger! Poor baby girl!
Xxxxx

Really hope things pick up! Is it just drowsiness holding her back?

:hug:

I can't really offer any advice, I wish I could. Only thing I could think to do was lots of skin to skin in the hope that she will stay latched longer and feed longer?

How old is she hun? My son isn't DS, but he was a very lazy feeder for about the first 2 weeks, wasn't helped by traumatic birth and then tongue-tied. But it was very stressful, but eventually he woke up, latched and didn't want to stop lol

I hope that things pick up for you soon, but please try not to worry atm.

Sorry I can't be more helpful for you xxxxx

Thankyou!
The slow feeding isn't anything at all to do with her DS. She really is just a slow feeder. She is 10 days old. She is such a sleeper. She would rather sleep than feed an as a result is only feeding such a small amount! It's a nightmare! If I force feed her, she is sick, and so to me, it seems pointless. It really frustrates me too when I have spent so much time expressing!!!

I just don't know how to get her to feed! :-(

Is DS Downs? ( as that is what I took it as, apologies if wrong) If it is downs have they checked her tongue? as my friends little boy has downs, and one of the signs is an overly large tongue, so he had trouble feeding and would get tired quickly, they ended up having to use a smaller teat but made the hole bigger so the milk came out a bit faster.

Yes Rosa, DS is downs syndrome.
Ella has got amazing muscle tone, and her tongue and sucking reflex has shocked most of the people who she has come into contact with so far! I honestly believe that she is just a slow feeder, and I just want my midwife to say that this is fine, but instead, she has walked away today saying that she will have to come back on Saturday for a re weigh and if she has lost any more weight, she will have to call it in to the paeds!

After last week, I am petrified that she will be called back to the NICU! I just want Ella to be big, strong and healthy!

i know you only want the best but have you tried some formula with her?

my sis and also my friends son both with ds werent good with breastmilk and had formula which seemed to help.

my sister didnt cry for about 6mth and when she did my mum was that concerned she took her to the docs! lol

could it be worth trying her with an ounce every hour and half to see if she is more inclined to take that rather than all in one go that way shes getting a break between each ounce.

x

i know you only want the best but have you tried some formula with her?

my sis and also my friends son both with ds werent good with breastmilk and had formula which seemed to help.

my sister didnt cry for about 6mth and when she did my mum was that concerned she took her to the docs! lol

could it be worth trying her with an ounce every hour and half to see if she is more inclined to take that rather than all in one go that way shes getting a break between each ounce.

x

You always make me giggle when you tell me about your sister!!!
I tried Ella with aptimil and again she was sick. She got a really thick milk tongue, so I can only assume that it's laying heavy on her tummy!

At the moment, we've decided to feed whenever she shows any sign of wanting it ... The problem is, she actually does take the full 3 hours to finish her 60 mls!
So as a result, I am constantly feeding!!! Xxx

Albert has his nappy changed before each feed which wakes him up nicely. I'd forgotten how much they sleep and when he was poorly over the weekend he was just grazing which was doing him no good. Now he's getting changed beforehand and is on the soya formula he takes 3oz down every 3-4 hours rather than 1oz every hour. He still pretend feeds just to get a cuddle though.

Do you think also it could be a comfort thing? All the time she's in your arms feeding she has you all to herself and lets face it we all know babies are sneaky little monsters xxxxxxxx

Ha ha I could tell you some very funny things she's done she has us in stitches sometimes.

They can have quiet weak internal muscle so maybe that's why she's sick or takes long as its not holding it down and she feels full quickly. She will get herself into her own little routine.

Hey I got sent to paeds for 8hrs because they said Theo was gaining too much weight!

Last edited:
Hun for the first 3 weeks AJ only put on 4 ozs and was only taking 2ozs on average and taking up too 1 and half hours to feed. We tried different teats and have now change the milk. Hes gained weight and only takes around 30mins to have 3ozs now. xxxxxxx

Hun for the first 3 weeks AJ only put on 4 ozs and was only taking 2ozs on average and taking up too 1 and half hours to feed. We tried different teats and have now change the milk. Hes gained weight and only takes around 30mins to have 3ozs now. xxxxxxx

Wow!!! Go AJ!!!

I am hoping that after tomorrow's weigh in (how it feels I'm putting Ella through slimming world right now!) I can start to relax a little bit!!!
This is getting mad now, I just seem to worry about soooo much!

If she has lost more weight, I may talk to my midwife about looking into formula... But I really would love it of she could carry on having my breast milk! As hard as expressing is, I just feel like I am being proactive in helping her to grow strong! Ha- ironic that isn't it!!!

Xxx

There's nothing wrong with topping up breast milk with a little bit of formula hun, that way she'll get the best of the breast milk and the bulking out of formula. There's always a solution hunny, we just have to stay calm and stumble our way through each day with one eye shut due to exhaustion and avoiding the drinks cabinet.

Maybe this is why we all forget our baby-hood, it makes us all more forgiving lol xxxxxxxxx

I'd probably try her going up a teat size my friends lo was so slow they went up when he was 7 days old and never looked back. Hope you get it sorted xxx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back