*** Weaning Thread *** (Stage two yet?)

nikkif, I'm not going to bother switching to follow on milk....personally I don't see the point when I'm feeding him a balanced diet and I don't want to take the chance of moving him to something that doesn't agree with him.
Sometimes Dylan wasn't really interested in breakfast sometimes at the start of weaning so I started off giving him fruit because he loves it, then I started mixing it with breakfast cereal. He also doesn't drink loads of water, but I give him a sippy cup at each meal and he's picking it up himself -sometimes he has loads and other times he hardly has any.

Dylan woke up at 4am this morning - he's got the cold (and sticky eyes again) so I had to give him another bf (couldn't be bothered making a bottle lol). He's not done that for a long time :shock:

I havent switched to follow on milk, should I??? This is Maddisons food intake:-

8am - 7oz bottle
9:30am - porridge
12pm - half jar stage 2 food + pot of fruit + water
1pm - 7oz bottle
3pm - fromage frais + rice cake/toast + water
5pm - half jar stage 2 food + water
7pm - 7oz bottle (she only generally takes 4oz of this though)

Does this seem ok? She sleeps from 7pm - 7/8am without waking (only for dummy now and then) :D

Hi Snuggle :wave:

I am no expert but that sounds good to me!! Charlotte is sleeping through most nights but waking at 630 ish. She used to sleep 12 hr but now sleeps 11, i know i cant complain though!!

I am trying to get Charlotte to take water from a sippy cup, she likes playing with it but doesn't really drink much so am giving her water from a bottle sometimes to make sure she is getting enough fluids now her milk has reduced.

nikkif said:
Hi Snuggle :wave:

I am no expert but that sounds good to me!! Charlotte is sleeping through most nights but waking at 630 ish. She used to sleep 12 hr but now sleeps 11, i know i cant complain though!!

I am trying to get Charlotte to take water from a sippy cup, she likes playing with it but doesn't really drink much so am giving her water from a bottle sometimes to make sure she is getting enough fluids now her milk has reduced.

Hiya :wave:

I had to persevere with sippy cup for a while before Maddison eventually got the idea. There is a bit in the lid so that it doesnt spill that I have had to take out though coz Maddison will only take the water if it flows out rather than having to suck for it :roll: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Snuggle said:
There is a bit in the lid so that it doesnt spill that I have had to take out though coz Maddison will only take the water if it flows out rather than having to suck for it :roll: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:D My LO uses the lid as a teething toy. :roll: Today I thought 'oh well, as long as she can use it by the time she is walking then it's fine'.

Nikki - funny that she isn't hungry in the mornings! I usually combine the milk and breakfast unless she wakes up really early. I give her some porridge and then finish of with the milk.

oh look...you made me double post... ;)

nikkif said:

I wasn't having much luck with the sippy cup either - maybe later on she will find it easier and I think it will be good for the car etc But today I used this:

http://www.babyzoop.co.uk/doidy.htm

It is great and LO used it really well :) Think I will use this now in the day time with water etc and just use bottle at night.

ok thanks! I just assumed i needed to use a sippy cup but may try this. Did the water not go everywhere??x

I thought it would - because when I tried with a normal cup it just went down her chin. But this one is angled so it is quite shallow where they sip it and she got the hang of it quite well.
I have to hold the cup for her but it didn't go everywhere because you don't have to tip it up really. I tipped it too much one time and she took too much but pulled away and then tried again.
She drank about 50 ml in one go the first time.

This is what we have been doing the last few days, now Charlotte is eating better (hopefully this will last!)

730 - plum porridge and fruit puree (has about 2oz milk in it and 50ml water)
8 - 6-8Oz bottle
12 - homemade veg sometimes with chicken or similar, natural yogurt with fruit puree/ or mashed banana desert
4p.m - homemade meat and potatoes/veg or something similar like spag bol, fruit/yoghurt desert
7 - 90z bottle and bed

How does this seem? It seems to be working for now so hope it lasts!

Oh and i try and give water with every meal sometimes with success!

How is everyone else doing??
:)

Hi girls :wave:

Joining you now :hug:

Our normal day is:

Wake up (6.30am) 7oz bottle of milk
9.00 am - porridge mixed with milk and 1 jar (125 gram) fruit puree
In between - juice and water
12.00-12.30pm -1 1/2 small (125-160 gram) savory (usually something with chicken or turkey, or salmon with veggies) and 1 pot of fruit puree 9125 gram)
In between juice and water
16.00-16.30pm-same as at 12, sometimes he has 2 jars of savory
7.30pm (bedtime) -7-8oz bottle
11.00pm-7-8oz bottle

We tried to give stage 2 jars, but he just hates the lums. Does your LO's have lumpy food yet? And did they like it right from the start?
I am just trying to give Daniel that, but he just screams.

HI Carina. LO started liking lumps after she cut her first two teeth. Until then she didn't make a fuss but she just spat them out a bit. As soon as the teeth came through she wanted to bit and chew everything. Problem is now that she won't eat purees anymore. Has to pick up and chew everything herself. Takes ages and have no idea how to feed her anymore. I mean, she takes half and hour to eat a rice cake :rotfl:

Hiya girls,

Yeah Carina I put Jack on lumpy foods from 7 months, he took to them really well.

He went to nursery today and had lasagne for lunch then for tea he had sandwiches!! Clever boy.

Weaning is going really smoothly, I seem to be lucky cos Jack will eat almost anything although he doesn't have a very sweet tooth but thats a good thing.

:hug: :hug:

Dylan eats lumpy food too, in fact Dylan eats anything! Today just for lunch he had: TT blue weaning bowl full of homemade tomato soup with half a slice of wholemeal bread, yoghurt, 2 rice cakes with loads of hummus, a tiny tangerine and 2 big strawberries! Meal times are getting much more messy now too because he's really into feeding himself now - I don't think I get the food in quickly enough for him :D

Dylan's still on at least 3 bottles a day (sometimes 4)plus a long bf before bed too. I'm taking him to get weighed tomorrow, but I think because he's really active it won't be a great amount he's put on x

Keep persisting with the lumpy food Carina - we had some problems for the first week with lumps and was ready to give up but be determined!

He will eat them one he gets used to them, lumps are such a culture shock to them poor mites.

Charlotte has also taken to lumpy foods really well, how are you getting on Newmum??

Maddison is doing really well with lumpy food, she loves most of them. She loves feeding herself too and eats things like toast, ham, chicken and random fruit. She has 3 bottles a day and 3 meals a day then snacks on fromage frais and various finger foods and goes wild for the Hipp Duet desserts :D
Does anyone give juice? I give Maddison water which she loves but should she be having juice too? :hug:

I don't give Dylan juice and don't really plan to for a long time.....D also likes water and that's much better for him than juice so I'll keep him on this for as long as I can x

Jessica is not too keen on eating finger foods, she has a couple of goes but does'nt eat much if any of them. I've tried toast, bread, breadsticks, chees , banana all sorts of things really. She has'nt got her teeth through yet but is teething at the mo, do you think she will be better when they are through? or has anybody got any tips to encourage her?

Rice cakes worked for us - but the big ones not the small baby ones. Think because it is big she can get a better grip on them and chews away the edges. Food in 'chip' shapes she gives up on quite soon because it gets too short and she can't put it in. I also gave her crusts of bread rather than cut it into slices or pieces and she gnaws away on it for a while. Bigger things work better for us at the moment.

Unless of course it is small pieces of rubbish on the floor and then she will suddenly be able to manage them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back