*** Weaning Thread *** (Stage two yet?)

Krystal

Reaction score
Right I have just started weaning Jack and have lots of questions and feel so unsure of a lot of things and thought it would be good to have a thread going for us mummies that are just starting the weaning process as I have noticed there are a few of us :)

What do you think?

This is what I am doing with Jack at the moment, bare in mind I have only just started:

8-9 am - 8oz formula

11am - baby rice made up with one tablespoon of powder, 4 tablespoons of formula, I give him the rest of the formula afterwards but sometimes he leaves 1-2 oz.

2:30pm - 8oz formula

4.30pm - 8oz formula

7:30pm - 8oz formula and bedtime.

I am bit concerned that he has too much milk, the amount is near enough 40oz per day :shock: I did ask the HV if I should be cutting out a bottle but she said he'll do it himself around 8 months... does that sound right?

Also I was wondering what time you think is best to introduce his next meal is? I was thinking his 4:30pm on giving him something savoury for tea and maybe cutting bottle down to 5oz?

Do you think this sounds ok? :hug:

Great thread :) I would say introduce one at teatime ish, 4 or 5.

I'll join in this thread starting tomorrow I think as I am going to be starting a diary of bottle feeds, breastfeeds, purees, baby rice and all sorts. Apparently he should be starting to use a beaker about now too so I'll let you know how he gets on with juice.

Ryan has had 2 (?) breastfeeds today, and half a jar of "red berries and apple". I'm about to give him another breastfeedm, then the next time he wants food it will be some sort of dinner type jar, and then as much bottle as he takes before bed at 7 ish.

:D

edit- http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=62800 read redshoes reply re: formula amounts :D

Yeah 35oz is kind of the max, so cos he doesn't take all of it when I give him his rice I assume he'll probably do the same when I introduce his teatime feed so that'll probably even everything out.

He's been having his baby rice for almost a week now, so do you think Monday is a good time to start introducing tea or am I supposed to wait for some 'sign' lol, cos thats what my HV said, 'oh he'll tell you when he's more hungry' :doh:

I'd say if he seems to want more milk then to up his food... but you can try anytime and if he doesn't want it then he won't eat it :)

Ryan's on breastfeeds all day but at dinnertime is still hungry and has a 14oz bottle before bed, even with 1 session of baby rice a day... It used to only be 7oz bottle so I'm thinking one more meal to counteract that milk increase...

But I'm new to it all :D

Ryan's been on baby rice since before christmas. He has the fruity breakfast one though cos he got fed up of the plain one pretty quickly.

I'd say try another meal and if he won't do it then try again another time?

Yeah good idea, maybe I'll give it a couple more weeks before introducing his teatime meal then, I don't wanna make him sick.

Thanks Shell :D

Never realised how close in age our boys are - probably cos you only joined in November and I never noticed, I only thought about people who I had gone through the tri's with :D

lol i know i was a bit of a late starter, wished I'd found the forum during my pregnancy.. would've answered loads of questions.. can't wait to be pregnant again just so i can go through the tri's :lol: Its good when babies are same age though so you can kinda see what everyone else doing :D :hug:

I was about to start a thread like this!! lol

soooo 1st question...

im just starting to introduce mia to 'solids'..

Im noticing she is only taking minimal amounts at a time which is probably normal at first??

And i think i need some help with some ideas of how to start her off properly??

If anyone can tell me how they started it would be great :D :D

well i've only just started myself but i'll tell you what my HV told me portion wise.. she said at first he'll prob eat no more then and ice cubed sized portion, may be a little less with your LO being younger :think:

:hug:

I tried Ryan on baby rice at 3 and a half months but he really didn't get it and wasn't interested so I didn't bother. I tried him again at 4 months and he was really up for it, trying to help with the spoon, and he'd been trying to grab for our food while we were eating, so I knew he was ready for it.

So at 4 months I gave him a little bowl of baby rice (though made it milkier and sloppier than the packet suggested) and he was fine with that. I did it in addition to normal feeds and found he slept well after it in the afternoon (I did it about lunchtime). He had 3 heaped weaning spoons full of baby rice and enough milk to make it sloppy (about 40/50ml I think) and he would easily finish that off. I gradually just made it less and less sloppy basically once he started to understand how it worked.

If you try it on her and she doesn't even attempt to chew it, or isn't interested then I'd suggest leaving it a couple of weeks and trying again. There's no rush, she's got the rest of her life to eat adult food and only a short time to be a baby :)

This is what I do at mo:-

8:30am - 7oz bottle
11:30am - 7oz bottle
2:30pm - 7oz bottle
5pm - baby rice/puree + 7 oz bottle
7pm - 7oz bottle

Maddison now sleeps from 7:30pm til 8:30am without waking and doesnt seem hungry so I'm not introducing another meal until she shows signs of being hungrier. Do you think she is getting enough food? :?

lol newmum... i am gonna wait though, not that mad. end of this year were gonna try :D

Snuggle i'd say definately sounds like she's getting enough, she has a similar routine to Jack except he has his in morning.

ooh this bit is all new and exciting isn't it :D

newmum said:
Snuggle said:
This is what I do at mo:-

8:30am - 7oz bottle
11:30am - 7oz bottle
2:30pm - 7oz bottle
5pm - baby rice/puree + 7 oz bottle
7pm - 7oz bottle

Maddison now sleeps from 7:30pm til 8:30am without waking :?

I've been thinking for a while how and when to feed my LO. I seem to remember (although it is a bit blurry) being told at the hospital to feed my newborn every 3 hours and not knowing any different I did. Fortunately she seemed ok with this and didn't get hungry earlier. But then they said I should be spacing the bottles out more like every 4 hours. I tried that and she can usually go the 4 hours but then has to wake in the night to feed. I guess if she had them every 3 hours like Maddison does, then maybe she would sleep through better. She seems to try and only takes enough to get her through til morning. Will try this week. :)

I spaced Maddisons bottles out to every 4 hours at one point but she started waking in night so went back to every 3 hours, works well for us :D

yeah I was thinking about the beaker idea, I have one already but need to get some baby juice. I know he should be using one now but he still seems like a baby to me, i really don't see how he is gonna know how to use one :doh: suppose only way I'm gonna know is to give him one to use :)

what juice do you use?

Mias feeds go like this...

8am - 8oz bottle and breakfast

12pm - 8oz bottle

4pm - 8oz bottle

8pm - 8oz bottle

She doesnt always finish 8 oz though lol

mia has also started to use her beaker thing..she loves it hehe she has the cow and gate juice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back