feeding advice for a 5 month old

kelly'n'jack

Reaction score
jack is a few coming up to 5 months and i started weaning him about a week before he was 4 months. he has takin to it really well and is now having food 3 times a day: a typical day is like this:

*3-4 am 4oz bottle

*8am 2 ice cubes of fruit + 8oz bottle (only takes 4-6 oz, depends on what time he wakes for his bottle in the early morning)

*12pm 2 cubes of veg +8 oz bottle

*4pm 2 cubes of veg + 8oz bottle

*5:30pm sometimes has a 4oz bottle

*7:45 8oz bottle

when do you stop giving them bottles with food?
he wants more solids but im worried about overfeeding him, is it ok for me to increase his solids? im thinking if i do that he might drop the two 4oz bottles
does this routine sound ok for his age?
sorry for the long post!!

Sounds perfectly fine to me... I just let Arianna tell me what she wants... I always have a bottle close to her so if she wants she can have, although through the day she has water more than milk.

that sounds fine, i'm a bit worried about Louie really coz he only has 1 solid meal a day & pudding + he has 4/5 bottles a day but only 6 oz. :think:

Hiya,

My Kate is 4 and a half months and I started weaning her 3 weeks ago. Milk wise it sounds like your LO is getting plenty, I have noticed Kate has reduced the amount she takes from about 7oz a feed to more like 4 or 5. For her meals I mix about 2 teaspoons of baby rice with some of her milk then add a cube or 2 of fruit to flavour it a bit. This seems to keep her happy, I do wonder if thats a bit much but she is going to the loo fine and seems happy enough. (I give her 3 meals a day at about the same time you do yours) I have started to give her a few sips of fruit juice too just to make sure she doesnt get dehydrated off taking less milk. Mixing rice in definately seems to fill her though. I think she does have more food than your LO so I dont reckon you have anything to worry about. Adding a bit of rice at teatime might even help him sleep through?

Jen

When it comes to feeding I have always let Arianna lead me... even when she was only on milk... I never woke her up every 3 or 4hrs to feed her.

Each child is different to how much food they want and when they are ready for weaning... I havent read any books/mags on the subject. SOme days Arianna will just want one meal and loads of milk the next day she hardly has any milk.

Forgot to say that I give her breakfast once shes halfway through her bottle in the morning whereas lunch and tea I give her just food with some juice. I give her a bottle inbetween breakfast and lunch then one in between lunch and tea. She only takes 4oz or so though. Hope that makes sense!

thanks for your replies. think ive been worrying about him getting enough milk but seems hes getting plenty so i will up his food tomorrow cos i know he wants more. and wanted to add that i give him juice with his food and his bottle anout 30 mins after food, will let you know how i get on 2 mos! thank you

foxymum said:
that sounds fine, i'm a bit worried about Louie really coz he only has 1 solid meal a day & pudding + he has 4/5 bottles a day but only 6 oz. :think:
same as madi she never seems hungry :think:

hev&madi said:
foxymum said:

i know its a bit of a mystery , i think if i didn't give Louie his solids one day he wouldn't care, he wouldn't even notice :roll: & hes so bloody fussy!!

foxymum said:
hev&madi said:
foxymum said:

i know its a bit of a mystery , i think if i didn't give Louie his solids one day he wouldn't care, he wouldn't even notice :roll:

& hes so bloody fussy!!

:shock: madi's the same :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back