Vince is born - mummy's side of the story

ISH

Reaction score
It started on the stormiest night in living memory, early hours of January the 5th - I was in bed, trying to go to sleep while having rather vicious BHs. One of them suddenly came with period pains and I was wondering, could this be it? The wondering didn't take long, there was a gush of fluid and I managed to get myself out of bed fast enough for my size and into my study where I virtually flooded the whole room (luckily it's floorboards!)

Woke Doug up (his face was a study), and we all started getting rather excited, packing the rest of the bags and getting everything ready. We even made some little films, being all cheerful, to show Vince later on what was happening on the night he was born (rain and gale force wind mainly). Little did we know at that point!! Soon enough my contractions got from period pain to horrible to unbearable, I kept calling the MW led unit and they kept telling me to stay at home for as long as possible. Some of you may remember I had some motivational labour notes: http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/third-trimester/225762-my-labour-motivation-notes.html I kept reading them as I waited at home, and I am sorry to say, once the REAL pain kicks in, you might as well not bother! I will keep them for the comedy value.

I finally called MW unit around 5 and I said, there is no way I'll keep staying at home, I am having contractions every 2 mins, I need to come over asap. We arrived at hospital at around 6 in the morning, by which time I felt I was in the throes of death, only to be told I was 2 cm and I'd get sent home if people came over and were in active labour *insert lots of swear words* Then the much advertised, state of the art, cozy birthing unit ('Oh, it will be just like a home birth and you will feel SOOOO much more relaxed and will have a MW there all the time') left me alone with a terrified husband and bloody Paracetamols for pain relief for a few hours, during which I attached myself to a handle bar in the disabled bathroom and tried not to scream in pain. That meant I was exhausted in minutes, trying to hold back and tensing my whole body instead of making noise was a bad call. Then the 'fuck it' moment came, and I'm sorry to say I started screaming like a banshee. It helped though, and meant I didn't tense quite as much and saved up a lot of energy.

Hours later (lost track of time by now) I persuaded a MW to get me into the pool. It felt quite nice and soothing, but contractios were getting worse and worse (I kept getting told 'oh don't worry, it will be much worse soon'. Thanks!) I finally persuaded MW to give me some gas and air (one would think I was asking for their first born, they were that reluctant) and that helped me concentrate on my breathing a lot more.

MW then inserted a mirror like object in the water and told me I was almost there and I should start pushing. Cool, so it's almost over, I start pushing like mad for ages and nothing happens. Then she takes a look at my stomach and says 'that looks like the baby is in the wrong position'. So she gets me out, inspects me and it appears baby is head down but in the wrong position. Also, I shouldn't have pushed as I was only 6 cm and I'd damaged my cervix.

By this time I'm thinking, 'this woman, if left to her own devices, is going to destroy me'. I decide I must get out of there at all cost and ask for an epidural in the regular unit.

I get carried there soon enough, lots and lots of uncontrollable screaming and asking people for mercy killing until the anaesthesiologist arrives, a lovely girl who gives me my epidural and I finally start to feel human again.

Then there's a waiting game until I'm dilated enough to actually deliver the baby. The waiting game involves lots of suction on gas and air, after a while the pain becomes unbearable again, more asking for shotguns and mercy killing until doctors understand I need my epidural topped up, then things are starting to look up again, then the cycle repeats itself. This goes on for hours, I get to 8 cm slowly and agonisingly because the previous pushing made the cervix swell up, the legions of doctors in the room look concerned, they tell me they need to get blood from the baby's head while he's still inside, to make sure he's OK. They do that, then, hours later, they do it again, I am starting to lose the will to live and envisioning an emergency Caesarean more and more clearly.

Somehow I get to 10 cm and the doctor decides it's time to deliver the baby ASAP, otherwise he might get too distressed, mentions a forceps, at which point I completely lose it, start crying uncontrollably, etc. Fortunately things start to happen very quickly, the doctor gives me an episiotomy and tells me to push and next thing I know the head is out. Two more pushes and the whole baby comes out (16:30 PM, he weighs a healthy 3520 g), but he is looking in bad shape and not breathing, they carry him off to ICU, but luckily for my sanity return with an intact, crying, gorgeous baby, he gets placed on my chest, proceeds to do a massive poo on me and then to feed. All's well in the world, angels are singing, placenta comes out, I get stitched up, notice there's blood on the walls, but all that matters very little, my epidural is still working, and I feel on top of the world.

After that, there was a little bit more drama as we were left to recover for a while and I was told I could go get cleaned up if I felt up to it. I did, so got up, then fainted straight away. OH caught me, after which I fainted again; the poor thing said it was the scariest thing he's ever experienced, as I looked dead, didn't breathe and had fixed open eyes. He managed to get me on to the bed, after I'd ripped my IV on the way down, turns out my BP had plummeted.

Then there was a lot of waiting in the postnatal ward until we could get baby home, now we're all together and it's just lovely, can't quite believe we MADE him :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 53
oh my lord...what a story!!! that sounds like u had a really tough time,and can u do something about the nurse who told you to push to soon?? that was so bad!!glad ur both ok and vince is beautiful..well done xxx

I love the humour of your story hun, sounds like such an ordeal but u did fantastically well and as predicted Vince is totally gorgeous xx

ISH you had a time of it - you wrote it all up in a very interesting and funny story :) Congrats on the birth of your son x

Hope you're both doing well, what a gorgeous pic, terrible she made you push early though

Oh hun!! I hope that hasn't left you too traumatised, it didn't sound pleasant. At least little Vincent is here safe and sound now xx

Oh my sounds like you had a really touch time of it :(

at least baby is home safe and sound now xxx

You done so well Hun! wouldn't suprise me if you had the same midwife i did as she was bloody useless. she didn't have short grey curly hair did she? congratulations he's gorgeous x x

You done so well Hun! wouldn't suprise me if you had the same midwife i did as she was bloody useless. she didn't have short grey curly hair did she? congratulations he's gorgeous x x
She DID :shock: She is the one who told me to push, that old witch!!!

'Oh, my baby came in the same position and everything was fine, just push!'

Haha, well, at least I did about 100 poos in the pool and she had to clean them all up, I had my revenge - HA!

How did she treat you? :hug:

Last edited:
She's an old witch! i had Tegan in the birthing pool on delivery suite. told her i could feel babys head her response 'don't be stupid its your first baby, it'll be hours yet' i couldn't help but push so i did & out came baby! i tore really badly & she tried stitching me up after 2 stitches 'i shouldn't be doing this its too deep i'll get a doctor, your fanny will never be the same again' charming eh! i also had a student called louise who was lovely xx

Congratulations xxx sounds like a tough time but you handled it brilliantly xx

She's an old witch! i had Tegan in the birthing pool on delivery suite. told her i could feel babys head her response 'don't be stupid its your first baby, it'll be hours yet' i couldn't help but push so i did & out came baby! i tore really badly & she tried stitching me up after 2 stitches 'i shouldn't be doing this its too deep i'll get a doctor, your fanny will never be the same again' charming eh! i also had a student called louise who was lovely xx
Good God, thankfully we both escaped more or less intact - this woman should not be working as a MW (or with people in general!)

Sorry you went through so much pain

What an amazing story, you put it so nicely. And I loved that you took video clips too.

Massive congrats on your baby boy he is just gorgeous!

:yay:

What an ordeal , but such a good story at the same time! Congratulation on your little man... And not committing murder x

Oh gosh ISH :hug: That sounds like a horrible birthing experience :( Hope you're ok now. He is gorgeous chicky though, huge congratulations to you both xxxx

Oh gosh ISH :hug: That sounds like a horrible birthing experience :( Hope you're ok now. He is gorgeous chicky though, huge congratulations to you both xxxx
Thank you, my love :love: We're all good now and baby's perfect, which is the most important thing. Fingers crossed your baby follows suit soon and you have an easier time :hug:

I take my hat off to you, what an ordeal and told with such humour, your baby is gorgeous :)

Sounds like you had a rough time of it, at least you can look back with a bit of humor!

Big congrats, he's so cute x

Got to say that although what you went through sounds absolutely horrendous, the way you have written it is brilliant. I still can't believe you've popped, you were definitely right about it being your last MW appointment lol.

Congratulations, he's so cute!!! Xxxxxx

Awww sounds traumatic hon but you tell it with such humour it gives me hope even if things don't go to plan. He's gorgeous too congrats! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back