*UPDATE* Nervous! Housing People

dannii87

Reaction score
EEEEEK!! OK, they've been round and discussed my options...

Basically, if I say I'm homeless, I only get offered 1 place and HAVE to take it. If I just wait for a house to come up somewhere, I could be waiting over a year (but I will get to refuse properties etc), just seems a long time :wall: OR, my only other option is to rent privately and get something called DSS (don't actually know what that means :lol: ) and so I would get help with paying rent etc, but I don't know how much I would be helped?! I don't even know how to work it out :think:

Anyway, I've been a total prat (and gone into this too full on) because I've just been adding LOADS of properties to my faves and contacting the agents for loads of houses around the area to privately rent :lol: I've been inundated with phone calls confirming my interest in the properties lol! Oh dear :roll:

I've done all this - and I don't even know if I can afford them yet lol!

Does anyone know roughly how much of my rent will be paid each month? Aragon couldn't tell me as they need to know what benefits etc I'll be getting first.

If my research is correct, I'm entitled to;
Child benefit, income support, child tax credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit. (Doesn't mean a lot to me to be honest?! :think: )

(haha!! While I've been writing this I've just had a phone call and I have an appointment tomorrow to see a 2 bed house! Result! :pray: )

******************************************************************************************

I'm so nervous about tomorrow... Aragon the Housing Association are coming round tomorrow to talk with me and Mum about my housing options.

I've worked full time for 3 years straight from school. I did really well for myself, I think I earn quite a bit for my age, then I found out I was pregnant, planned all this independant stuff like housing etc with my ex before he left us and realised that although the timing was awful and the situation wasn't great, we could just about manage without any help!

It seems all of that now goes AGAINST me when I need help the most :wall: I spoke to the local Housing Officer and she was lovely. She said that I would have no chance unless I said I was being kicked out. :roll: I never wanted this for my baby and to be very honest, I feel extremely embarassed and hate it when someone asks me what my plans are for moving out :oops: when there are so many on this forum that have worked so hard at their marriages, so hard for the homes they own, so hard for the children they have - and yet here I am, pregnant (1st time), single and getting a free house just because I'm telling ONE lie :fib: I feel like a fraud.

Anyway, they are coming round tomorrow and I'm going to tell them that as soon I can work full time again I am going to. I am going to go to college and study part time so I can make the best life for me and my daughter. I will fight my hardest to get off the social and back on my own two feet. One day (don't know when), but I hope to live with a nice fella, have a nice little family, a nice little home with a nice little garden.

I just need a little bit of financial support from the Housing Association whilst I do all that :oops:

Wish me luck for tomorrow!! :pray: xx

Dannii dont feel bad! :hug: :hug: :hug:
The young girls who get pregnant JUST to get a house, they are the ones that should feel embarrassed! You cant help it that you situation is the way it is hun! You have paid a lot of tax, now your just getting a little back! Thats what its there for hun! Its help when you need it! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww babe :hug: dont feel bad, theres loads of people out there who have free houses and no intention of working and bettering there lives :wall: ! You on the other hand have worked for 3 years and paid your taxes and now need a little help. You cannot help your situation and i only ever hear you saying things that will benefit Evie. Your so unselfish and always put her first. Telling a little white lie is nothing compared to the great big woppers some people tell because they want to have an easy life :shakehead: Do what you need to do and dont feel guilty. Good luck :hug:

yep i agree with the other girls completely- theres nothing wrong with getting some help, you aren't a layabout bum your a young mum to be...don't worry babe..no one is gonna judge you for getting your taxes worth, your a good person!!
:hug: :hug:

Don't feel guilty. I purposely didn't get a job for 8 months when I was 18 so that I could stay on the dole and be given a flat. I was registered as no fixed abode for all that time as had fallen ut with parents and was staying at a mates. I had absolutely no way of being able to afford a privately rented flat so needed a housing association place. As soon as I got it (it was awful there, damp, druggies etc) I got a job and paid rent but I needed the help to get it. I don't feel guilty, I have worked since then as I had no intention no staying on the dole but I did need a little help to get started.

Agreed, you have the best intentions.

Accidents (forgive me, not a nice word) happen, but those who get pregnant to get a house because that existence is easier than working do not deserve the help.

Aww thank you ladies!! That's so sweet! I honestly expected "good luck" - not such lovely comments like that so thank you! :hug:

I think I just feel like I need to explain myself before I possibly post tomorrow that I've got a house! :oops: I need to let my pride go a bit I think and just accept help when I need it! xx

just wanted to wish you good luck.everyone needs help sometimes and sounds like yur doing a fab joband deserve a bit of help :hug:

lea m said:
Dannii dont feel bad! :hug: :hug: :hug:
The young girls who get pregnant JUST to get a house, they are the ones that should feel embarrassed! You cant help it that you situation is the way it is hun! You have paid a lot of tax, now your just getting a little back! Thats what its there for hun! Its help when you need it! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I agree totally :hug: :hug:
Hope you get a home soon :hug: :hug:

Good luck :hug:
Don't be embarassed. You've worked hard for the money you have earnt and now you are getting back what you deserve. The tax and national insurance you pay partly goes to the social anyway so really I think your getting back what you put there! You don't need to be ashamed to ask for help, your trying to do what is best for your daughter and thats what matters most. We all need help sometimes. Hope everything goes ok and let us know how you get on

Dont feel embarrased it happened to me too. You just have to swallow your pride.

My friend and I both went "Homeless"(we were both staying with parents but pregnant) at the same time, i got a flat really quick but it was in a bad area. She was offered a flat in the same street, turned on the water works and got offered a lovely 4 ina block with a garden.

Dont be afraid to do what it takes to get you and bubs sorted.

Just want to echo what others have said. You have paid into the system to help others - now you need a bit of help. That is what it is there for. Good luck tomorrow.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I was in a similar situation at 17 when I had my son. I moved out of parents house when Jacob was 7 months old. I worked 16 hours a week until I went back to college. For 2 years while I was at college I claimed income support and had my rent and council tax paid. I then got into Uni to do my nurse training. I also met my hubby around this time too. I've been a qualified nurse just over 3 years now and we bought a house last year.

What I'm trying to say is we all have to start somewhere. Some times have been really really hard but determination gets you there in the end.

Don't worry hun, things will work out.

Thank you again ladies :hug:

Bunnymom, I admire you! Sounds like you worked realy hard to get where you are today! x

Hey don't feel bad :hug: Thats exactly what benefits are there for.. for people who have put something in but are in need of a little help back. IMO anyway. You are nothing like girls who get pregnant with the sole purpose of getting a house etc. :hug:

awww dont worry! i went to college and worked for 5 years before i fell pregnant and i couldnt live at home with a baby! so i ahd to go to the council for help. there's no shame in it, im single now as well and i hate telling people i live in a council place because some people tend to look down on you but at the end of the day as long as you and ure baby have a roof over ure head whos cares! xxx

Dannii you are going to be an amazing Mum and you have worked very hard to make sure you have the best for little Evie. There is nothing to feel bad about, you put the work in and now they should be showing you the benefit of that.

Hope it all goes well for you hun :hug: :hug:

Good Luck Today Dan- you won't need it they'll be glad to have you! :hug:

All the best of luck Danni.
Don't ever feel like you can't take a extra bit of help when its offered. Like you when i planned a house, marriage and kids but things just dont work out like you want them to. When sperm donor left us i had no choice but to claim benefits and say my mum and dad were kicking me out to get a house, or i would never have been able to put myself through college.
When the time was right and Harrison was old enough, i went back to work part time, finished college and moved in together with the man of my dreams.

Everything will work out just perfect for you, you are such a strong person and i don't doubt that you wont succeed in everything you do :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back