*UPDATE* Nervous! Housing People

Dannii you shouldnt feel bad at all, your a lovely girl with the best intentions in the world and your going to make a lovely mummy as well.
The questions they ask are a little intruding and yes you may have to tell some white lies about your mum kicking you out - hell ask her to lie lol, i i told my family to lie for me! though it were some years ago now!

Like you though i wanted a nice home and garden for my children, and now have them and i know how you feel not having them - do what you have to too make a good life for yourself for you and your daughter. Needs must!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you ladies!! :hug:

I've just updated 1st post, not sure what to do :doh: xx

Excellent!! You're a star!!!

It says £574.99 per month for a 2 bed house, does that sound about right? If so, WOW... :shock: I thought it'd be about £200!! xx

dannii87 said:

It says £574.99 per month for a 2 bed house, does that sound about right? If so, WOW... :shock: I thought it'd be about £200!! xx

I don't know how much it is but up here you will be very lucky to get a private rent who will accept DSS so not sure if its same down their. Unfortunatly lots of LLs put a lable on DSS receivers that there going to trash the house etc (like all people on benefits are scum or something :shakehead: again media enhanced :| ) personally I think there more guranteed the money as as far as im aware the DSS pay the money direct to the LL and not for you to pass on. my friend looked for a private rent round here who took DSS for 6 months and she couldnt get one at all they all said :talkhand:

Does that like say you get £574.99 or UP TO £574.99?

Sounds about right my flat was £350.00 per month and the couple got that no bother and i think the allowance will be more down south.

Id just call the benefits office to double check tho

Oh damn... Yeah, UP TO :doh:

Well, the lady said about DSS and that most lettors don't accept it etc but the one I'm going to see tomorrow has said she'd like to meet me first before offering the home so she's going to show me around. She said as long as I'm planning on working again within the next 2 years she'd be ok with that... Which I am!

I guess she wants to make sure I'm not some fishwife with a trail of grotty kids stinking of stale cigarette smoke and BO!! :lol:

Ooooh I'm scared. What if I can't afford it? I don't have a clue how much I'll be getting so it's a bit pointless me going to view it isn't it? :think: :doh:

Call Housing benefit just now and ask what you allowance is.

You will probably have to pay a deposit your self as the council wont pay this for you.

You would be better to know where you stand before going then you can impress the rental woman by showing that you are alll prepared and have looked into your options.

dannii87 said:
Oh damn... Yeah, UP TO :doh:

Well, the lady said about DSS and that most lettors don't accept it etc but the one I'm going to see tomorrow has said she'd like to meet me first before offering the home so she's going to show me around. She said as long as I'm planning on working again within the next 2 years she'd be ok with that... Which I am!

I guess she wants to make sure I'm not some fishwife with a trail of grotty kids stinking of stale cigarette smoke and BO!! :lol:

Ooooh I'm scared. What if I can't afford it? I don't have a clue how much I'll be getting so it's a bit pointless me going to view it isn't it? :think: :doh:

Nah just go see, it you might think its horrible and not want it anyway!!! When can you find out how much you will be entitled to, can you not just ring them up and get a figure, TBH your going to be a single mum so I think it will be a fair chunk of the rent, prehaps 70/80% or something but Im just guessing there.

chickadee1976 said:
Call Housing benefit just now and ask what you allowance is.

You will probably have to pay a deposit your self as the council wont pay this for you.

You would be better to know where you stand before going then you can impress the rental woman by showing that you are alll prepared and have looked into your options.

Well, I've just done a calculation online (based on my maternity leave pay which starts 15th August) and it says;

Weekly Housing Benefit Award: £146.54 (but this works out as MORE than the "up to" allowance?! :think:
Weekly Main Council Tax Benefit: £15.34

I don't really understand, is that what they are saying I am entitled to receive for help with rent and council tax? Sorry, I sound soooo thick! :doh:

Just called the Housing Advisor as I thought she said they paid the deposit on an interest free loan and she confirmed it, they pay for 2 months deposit and you have to pay something like £12 a month until it's paid back! :cheer:

jennywren said:
Nah just go see, it you might think its horrible and not want it anyway!!! When can you find out how much you will be entitled to, can you not just ring them up and get a figure, TBH your going to be a single mum so I think it will be a fair chunk of the rent, prehaps 70/80% or something but Im just guessing there.

Very true!! It hadn't occured to me that I might not even like it :rotfl: I'm terrible! There is only one pic and it's of the outside (I loved the red bricks lol which is why I contacted them :lol: :oops: )

Aww glad it went ok!!

I hate working out any of these things online, And sometimes the 'help'lines are just as useless! :wall: Hope you get some solid answers soon and Jacques and I can come visit for a house warming with you and Evie!! :)

HideiLu said:
Aww glad it went ok!!

I hate working out any of these things online, And sometimes the 'help'lines are just as useless! :wall: Hope you get some solid answers soon and Jacques and I can come visit for a house warming with you and Evie!! :)
Hell yeah! :cheer: Party at mine! x

Well, I've just done a calculation online (based on my maternity leave pay which starts 15th August) and it says;

Weekly Housing Benefit Award: £146.54 (but this works out as MORE than the "up to" allowance?!) :think:
Weekly Main Council Tax Benefit: £15.34

Does anyone know if the calculations shown above are what I am entitled to receive as help for rent & council tax? I know I sound thick :oops: :doh: xx

Isn't there a helpline that can work it all out for you?

I don't think so?! I just want to know exactly how much I'll be entitled to so that I can prepare and try to find a home for me and my daughter :wall: It's so frustrating.

There must be someone, somewhere, who can tell me surely?! CAB were sh*t. They said I was entitled to certain benefits but couldn't be sure as they don't know what my situation would be!!

GRRRRR! x

You would have to ring each helpine up and ask them what you would be entitled to. Ie ring tax credits.

You no for defo child benefit is £75.20 every 4 weeks or £18.80 per week.

My sister privately rents a house, her rent is £350 and im sure she gets about £300 paid for.

What you could do is wait until your daughter is here and your getting all your benefits and then move properties.

dannii87 said:

Just realised you live near me :D

hi danni, i pm'd you but also, if the letting agent/landlord wont accept DSS, can you provide a guarantor? someone who has a good credit rating that will guarantee your rent in case you cant pay it? if you say you have a guarantor to the agent, they usually accept that. they will still wanna check youre not a grotty fishwife though! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back