Unusual names

Sparklegirl

Reaction score
What do people think about unusual names? I have an unusual one which I love, its hyphenated and some people have told me in the past how they dislike it. Thanks! Would you pick an unusual name for your baby? I have a few ideas that are different but not so out there the kids would get laughed at

I think you just need to read jamie olivers kids names to realize your child wont be the only one as unusual. :lol:
I havent told anyone my name for that reason. Youll never find a name that everyone loves.

My mum didnt really like Jackson, but she couldnt imagine anything different now.

xxxx

I've chosen unusual names, especially one of them. I like it & I don't care if others don't lol. xx

I love Jackson and it was a strong contender for if we have a boy but I wouldnt like it being abbreviated to Jack. I get my double barrelled first name abbreviated to the first part and I hate that with a passion. My name is my name and why people are unable to respect that is beyond me.

Jamie Oliver has another on the way, I wonder what this one will be called! It is a good idea not to tell people, I told one person and her husband walked in half way through (not realising its the name we want) and said oh no thats awful it sounds like a holiday camp. Not what I wanted! Sadly I took my husbands name when we married and I hate it. I feel awful but I really dislike it and no names go well with it! I will have to make the best of a bad job xx

Last edited:
Jackson isnt super out there theres alot more Jacksons now too. No one has ever called him Jack. If hes older and prefers that nickname fine but if anyone called him that around me theyd be corrected, Jack isnt his name. I have my own cute nickname for him but thats diff :lol:

I quite like surnames as first names. If we have another boy, itll likely be a surname.

xxxxx

Yes I love surnames too, I quite like Fletcher but my husband says all he would think of is Porridge so that wont happen! I get sick of telling people 'thats not my name' but they complain that its too long as it has 9 letters in. Boo hoo must be terrible for them to have such difficulty! I want something a little different but not something too much like Potato or something!

No unusual names for this baby - uncommon but "normal". I have a quirky name and was teased throughout school life, I don't want that for bubba xx

No unusual names for this baby - uncommon but "normal". I have a quirky name and was teased throughout school life, I don't want that for bubba xx

I would say the ones we are thinking of are uncommon more than 'out there' but I love all strange ones too even if I wouldnt name mine that. I have a friend who has picked very different names, I might go as far as to say they are quite out there and ummm 'alternative'. I love the sound of your quirky name xx

I like names that are a bit different but not too ridiculous, something that they won't find 3 kids with the same name in their class! X

I also like surnames as first names. Our daughter is called Harper-Rae but does get called Harper a lot which doesn't bother me. I really like Fenton this time for a boy but everyone I have told so far has turned their nose up at it! Xx

Fenton is lovely. Ive never heard another child named that. Boys I feel you can play about with more. I like Franklin but hate Frank... I like Lincoln too or Fraser but OH hates Fraser.

xxxx

Oh yeah I like Fenton! However it does remind me of a youtube clip of a man shouting after his whippet called that in the park. I have whippets so perhaps thats why it sticks with me so much! I want exactly that, a name thats not going to have a bunch of kids turn when I call the name. I love Harper too, I would never give my kids a double barrelled name like mine because I get so enraged about my own name being shortened I would hate to hear it happen to them too. I liked Finlay but my husbands friend had a little boy and they called him that so its a no go for him. I know its unpopular but I quite like the Apples and Peaches of this world but I probably wouldnt call mine that but I do like to hear a unique name. The ones I like are different but not so out there nobody else will ever have the same name but it wont be popular

Fenton reminds me of that clip too with the dog! Lol. I also like names like peaches etc but dunno if id have the guts to call my child that. X

Fenton reminds me of that clip too with the dog! Lol. I also like names like peaches etc but dunno if id have the guts to call my child that. X

Yeah I am the same plus nothing goes with my crappy surname! x

Don't like Fenton again reminds me of the YouTube clip. Peaches I nice but my husband would say no. We already have our name ts not out there but I don't know too many people with the name. X

Don't like Fenton again reminds me of the YouTube clip. Peaches I nice but my husband would say no. We already have our name ts not out there but I don't know too many people with the name. X

My husband isnt too enamored with Peaches either but it is pretty. The ones we like if we ever get pregnant that is, are different which I am happy with but I know not everyone will like them but that's just tough. If I give birth, I decide :coffee:

We had Piper Rose on our list for a girl when I was pregnant with Belle, it's probably the most unusual name we had but I love it :) xx

We had Piper Rose on our list for a girl when I was pregnant with Belle, it's probably the most unusual name we had but I love it :) xx

Ooh that's lovely! Piper was on our list of possibilities. Unusual is good

I don't mind unusual or uncommon names. My personal pet hate is names that are spelt weird, have multiple spelling options or don't sound how they are written. We have a surname I have to spell every time and I couldn't be doing with the hassle of having to spell my/my childs first name each time too.

Some of my cousins have really unusual names, when they were younger/at school they hated it but as an adult they have grown to like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back