Unusual names

I have always made sure that kids can't take the mick out of my kids name as it may be cute when they r babies however it can upset them in the future

We have already chosen a name if it's a girl however I find boys names are really hard! I'v got a lil boy called Riley and might call this one Leo however not really sure (not unsual but haven't herd many kids being called that and you can't shorten it haha) X X

I think kids will poke fun at any name. Even if its normal. If they cant get your first name theyll get your second name :lol:

Christ my second name is Russell which is fairly normal except being asked if your dad or grandpa is called Jack. I just say yes now because its been heard so many times I actually laugh at the person trying to be funny and fail.

xxxx

I think kids will poke fun at any name. Even if its normal. If they cant get your first name theyll get your second name :lol:

Christ my second name is Russell which is fairly normal except being asked if your dad or grandpa is called Jack. I just say yes now because its been heard so many times I actually laugh at the person trying to be funny and fail.

xxxx

I went to school with a girl whose surname was Russell too. but I dont ever recall people mentioning Jack lol but then again I was the quiet kid who sat in the corner reading alone so perhaps they did and I just didnt associate with the people who poked fun at others

Believe me, its a far better surname than what I married into!! Hahaha ~I might as well call my kid Peaches-Pineapple Grapefruit the 3rd and add on my awful name at the end- there ya go kid dont blame me if you get skitted! xxx

I don't mind unusual or uncommon names. My personal pet hate is names that are spelt weird, have multiple spelling options or don't sound how they are written. We have a surname I have to spell every time and I couldn't be doing with the hassle of having to spell my/my childs first name each time too.

Some of my cousins have really unusual names, when they were younger/at school they hated it but as an adult they have grown to like them.

Mine is simple enough, spelling is as one would expect yet still people cant manage it! I had to spell my 4 letter surname before I was married now I have to spell this one too. Hard work!

Yeah I live in Scotland perhaps we are just a bit more hard on each other here.

Another really shit one I got was "do you like brussell sprouts?" emmm no?

Kids minds are immature.

xxxx

I live on the border in Cumbria, it can be quite similar at times lol. I honeymooned in Scotland- I wanted somewhere with a similar or worse climate than where I live, 2 days it was so hot I refused to leave the room. Could only happen to me! Eweeee brussel sprouts! xx

Yeah I love the name Jackson too, it is beautiful I think

My ex's surname is Bell and I joked I wanted to call our first "Fifi Trixie" or "Tinker". ;) lol

He liked Jamie for a boy but it was right around the time Billy Elliot came out so I vetoed that (the kid who played Billy Elliot is called Jamie Bell).

I don't like names that sound like you've named them after a celeb/celeb's kids.

Also, after Frozen came out, Elsa apparently rose in popularity.

I don't know whether she was pleased or not, but about 6 months before Frozen came out my cousin's wife called their baby Elsah. There were no other Elsah's at that time, then frozen came out and now it's a really popular name! lol.

I have to admit I want a name that not many people choose.
Two of my friends had daughters a few years apart, they weren't really friends until a couple of years ago (one friend's second baby and the other one's first baby were born just two months apart), anyway, both their daughters are called Sophie. Also my friend with the younger Sophie had chosen Jacob for a boy, 2 months after she had her daughter my friend with the older Sophie had her second baby (a boy) and called him Jacob lol. Neither knew the other one's name choices when they picked them.

Last edited:
Hahaha Fifi Trixibelle! Tinker lol I would love to have seen his face with those suggestions

We have a baby girl "Luna Francesca" people either love it or ask where it came from. Probably politely saying they aren't keen but we love it. Our little moon <3

We have a baby girl "Luna Francesca" people either love it or ask where it came from. Probably politely saying they aren't keen but we love it. Our little moon <3

I love anything to do with moon/space etc. I think if they ask where it came from they are not necessarily disliking it but more wondering if she was named after Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter but dont want to offend by asking outright. That or they dont understand what it is and dont want to look silly

We have our little moon, too. I adore the name, and when strangers ask me (she's a friendly child who interacts with EVERYONE) I get quite positive reactions. :)

I have a rather mixed feeling about unusual names though.
There's a really subtle and delicate line between pretentiousness, poshness and uniqueness.

I totally agree on kids making fun of ANY name.
But uncommon names may be even more easily picked upon when they're younger though...

YET
What I really like about uncommon names is that it actually shows personality.
I don't know if it's people living out their name, or the other way around.
But it's just...very personal and very cute!

Mine is uncommon with it being hyphenated but it drives me nuts that people cant get it right I hate getting half my name

I can't believe people have told you they don't like your name Sparklegirl. How unbelievably rude! At least it helps to weed out the idiots and people not worth your time - an advantage of an unusual name maybe.

I can't believe people have told you they don't like your name Sparklegirl. How unbelievably rude! At least it helps to weed out the idiots and people not worth your time - an advantage of an unusual name maybe.

I totally agree! Its a combination, one was picked by my dad and one was picked by my mum so I really am a mix of them both so it hurts when people say things like that that to me. Idiots will always be idiots but I will always have a fabulous name!! :lol:

I have an uncommon name and hate it, my name is dutch.
My daughter is called Elynn, not heard it before I had her.
My second daughter will most likely be called Nina.

My son has an common name, his name isx Dann.

Last edited:
I think you should go for a name that you love and if others don't like it then that is there choice.

My youngest has an "unusual" name - Erraid (Eh-rid) it is a very small island in Scotland off the coast of Mull. I LOVE her name and I couldn't imagine her being called anything else. I often get comments about it being different but overall people like it :)

I agree, if both parents like the name it really is their decision. Calling a kid something like Chair Table Kitchen Cupboard is obviously not necessarily an ideal choice of name but if its just unusual then people should keep their neb out I say!

I agree, if both parents like the name it really is their decision. Calling a kid something like Chair Table Kitchen Cupboard is obviously not necessarily an ideal choice of name but if its just unusual then people should keep their neb out I say!

Oh no.
I was trying to keep baby chair tables name a secret so people don't steal it!

Oh no.
I was trying to keep baby chair tables name a secret so people don't steal it!

Hahaha damn I shouldnt have brought it up in public, sorry!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back