• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unplanned scan and no foetal heartbeat seen

beanster

Reaction score
Have been having period pain like cramps since last night with some brownish discharge when wiping. I'm 10 weeks going on dates of last period. Rang the maternity unit advice line this morning and they said to pop in for a check up. When i got there me and my DH were a bit bombarded with all the things that coiuld have gone wrong already - quite a lot to take in. Any way I had an unltrasound done to check that it wasn't an eptopic pregnancy and all that could be seen wsa a gestational sack (it did look quite big). The doctor doing the scan said that he couldn't detect a foetal heartbeat but that it might be because the baby was too small yet - I did think that I was 10 weeks along but am not sure how far out my dates could be! Have a dating scan next week on Thursday and they said to wait till then and that I would probably have an internal scan as well as an abdominal one. Am really worried now that something might be wrong, even though the doctors didn't seem overly concerned after doing an internal exam, swabs etc. How soon did any of you see the heartbeat on scans?

I saw my little girls hb at about 6+1 hun.

Is it possible your dates could be wrong?

Thinking of you :hug:

I saw Evies heartbeat around 7 weeks hun but my friend had a scare and at 7 weeks they cudn't see hers but baby is fine shes now 23 weeks pregnant.

Mamamfy is right you may have mixed your dates up hun, thinking of u either way

xx

hope everything is okay hun, will be thinking of you xx

did they do a internal scan today as that can make such a difference seeing things best of luck for next week

No they didn't do an internal scan. Said that they might do one next thursday when i have my dating scan. Have been looking up information about when heartbeats can be detected etc and think i am worrying myself silly even more. Just can't work out how the dats can be 3 weeks or so out from what we thought!
Don't know what to think at the moment. Me and DH both feel really flat and in limbo till next thursday. Trying to stay positive as the doctor didn't say i had miscarried or anything but it's hard not to feel that way.

Hey Hun saw mine at 8+3, hope everythings ok xxx

i had a scan at 7wks and when they done via my tum they didnt see a hb but with the internal they did it coulld just be this reason hun xxx

i'm hoping that they will be able to pick it up with an internal scan - the doctor did say that the abdominal scanner was quite a basic model and he wasn't qualified enough to do an internal scan for me today.
When they did the internal exam and took swabs they said everything looked ok with the neck of the womb (and i'm assuming the cervix was ok and shut like it's supposed to be too or they would have mentioned this too). Trying to take these as good signs but feel awful and know that Thursday afternoon is going to be a long time coming!

Best wishes for Thursday - it must be so difficult not to worry but try not to :hug:

Thinking of you for next Thurs hon. Try and take it as easy as u can until then xxx

All he best for next thursday hun. I know it feels like a long time to wait but try to relax as much as you can.

:hug: Hope everything's ok and the next week goes quickly for you. How long and regular are your cycles usually? I have known a couple of people who have tested positive, had bleeding, been for scans and seen nothing but ended up with perfectly healthy pregnancies a few weeks behind where they thought they were, so don't give up hope yet. Apparently (according to my sonographer who basically told me knowing the date I ovulated didn't necessarily mean anything in terms of dating) in some cases it takes longer after conception for cell division and development to start off, so it is unusual but not impossible for dates to be quite far out

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me and my DH especially as we were waiting until after the dating scan to tell families so no-one knows that we were pregnant at all at the moment. After having the internal swabs taken today the doctor said that i might have some bright red blood. Was ok this morning and all day. At about half nine tonight the pain got a bit sharper, but still nothing more than period type cramps and when i went for a wee it was redder and there was more red and mucusy on the paper. Really don't know what to do now - think we will see how tonight goes and then ring the EPAU tomorrow.

:hug: Hope you manage to get some rest tonight. Remember that even sex can irritate you enough to cause bright red blood during pregnancy, as blood flow is increased down there, so as they said it may be expected after an internal anyway - I'm sure that doesn't help you to worry any less though :hug:

Honey i'm so sorry you're going through this, having to wait until thursday must feel awful on top of everything else. I agree though you shouldn't give up hope yet, there are loads of reasons he may not have seen the heartbeat. I saw mine at 7 weeks, but again it possible your dates are out because of implantation etc. Thinking of you and fingers crossed that everything turns out ok. If the bleeding gets really heavy and your in lots of pain do ask for advice from epu its what they're there for xx

Hoping your week goes really quickly and that all is well for you and baby XX
Thinking of you X

Hope you get through the next fews days okay. Fingers crossed for your scan on Thursday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back