Unassisted childbirth???

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
Soooooooo, I was having a nosey on another forum (I never post there, I just lurk) and was astonished by a thread on there.
This lady got pregnant, never saw dr or mw, no bloods, no scans, nothing.
She then gave birth on her own, with oh, at home. Completely unassisted, no mw, nothing.
No dr,mw even knew about the pregnancy! Others are congratulating her and planning the same! I'm shocked and find it unnecessary and irresponsible.
I am all for home birth (although it's not for me), it must be wonderful to give birth at home with a mw.
Am I being closed minded? What do you ladies think? xx

*sighs relief
I'm glad you agree, I thought it was me being hot headed about it, I actually wanted to rant about how silly it is but all the other ladies were congratulating and saying how amazing it is and one person said something a bit negative (not as bad as I wanted to say) and all the others took off at her! x

I just don't understand why you would take unnecessary risks?? They all thought it was great though, I think she should be prosecuted for neglect. x

Thank god mother and baby were ok.

Dread to think what would happen if something went wrong. Its like going back 100's of yrs.
I get that some people feel all of the tests, scans, examinations etc arn't necessary, but surely just refuse them not the whole thing. You hit the nail on the head there it is neglect. x

No, i think its irresponsible and dangerous.

I agree! I don't understand why you would risk you and your baby's life. Home.birth would be great but not without a mw present. What was her reasoning behind it?

She said even if she thought the baby was breech, she would still do it, madness! x

No, i think its irresponsible and dangerous.

I agree! I don't understand why you would risk you and your baby's life. Home.birth would be great but not without a mw present. What was her reasoning behind it?

She said that intervention is not necessary, she listened to the heart herself with a stethoscope (although no monitoring during labour!) and said that being "watched" makes her body labour differently! x

She sounds quite selfish huh? I'd be petrified giving birth without assistance. And I couldn't manage 40 weeks without having scans etc
To make sure baby was ok.

It was very self centred, I don't like hospitals, I loathe blood tests and my episiotomy stung a bit but it's not about me, it's about the safety of my baby so if someone says I need to do this, they do it, no questions asked!
I was shocked by the floods of women thinking it was fab and wanting to do the same.
It was almost a concealed pregnancy in a way as they didn't tell any healthcare professionals or anyone else except the inlaws what they were planning to do. Would she feel guilty if lo died or was starved of oxygen and disabled due to her actions? x

Last edited:
If I'd done that & had my first at home without any assistance. I would have died in childbirth without a shadow of a doubt & it's likely so would my little boy. Just not worth it. Thanks to so called medical intervention we are both here to tell the tale & I would not risk a home birth with my second for exactly the same reason, not even a birth centre is classed as safe for me, due high risks of complications with my second. I'm absolutely terrified of giving birth this time around, but am comforted by the fact I'll be surrounded by medical professionals that know the history of my last labour & birth. I'm total with you hun, I think she's crackers!!!!

Sunnyb xxx

I'm with you hun, I needed a transfusion during pregnancy for severe anaemia, one after for blood loss, an emergency section under GA for twin two due to transverse lie, cord prolapse and arm presentation, forceps and episiotomy for twin one due to shoulder position - needless to say, we'd all be dead, fact x

Last edited:
Utter madness!!!
I have always considered myself to be totally ordinary and normal with no health issues all my life.
Since becoming pregnant after an mc, I have found out I am o rhesus negative and my baby has an exomphalos.
Just to imagine going through this, without the required jabs and scans and then having a baby without surgeons on hand is a terrifying thought. She is totally irresponsible!

Its illegal in America isn't it? I watched a programme on it not so long ago and some women chose not to be identified. They only showed the cases where it went well but obviously the risks involved in doing this are massive. As others have said, if I didnt have any medical intervention then my LO wouldn't be here now and Im not sure if I would either. Im all for a natural birth and home birthing but I don't think some people fully appreciate the risks they're putting them and their babies through.

Last edited:
She said it was legal in her state???? I think its the most irresponsible thing I've ever heard x

Wasn't there a lady on here who gave birth at home just her and her hubby? I think it was helenj.
Personally I couldn't do it, I had problems after giving birth to my 1st and I wouldn't of known what to do if there wasn't any mw's with me!

Wasn't there a lady on here who gave birth at home just her and her hubby? I think it was helenj.
Personally I couldn't do it, I had problems after giving birth to my 1st and I wouldn't of known what to do if there wasn't any mw's with me!

Planned or accidental? Did she have anti natal care? x

I am assuming it wasn't her first experience of labour? Maybe she'd had a bad experience the first time in hospital? Nevertheless it's a scary thought having to do all that on your own and if something were to go wrong the risks on her life and the babies life are massive. I'm shocked the husband was happy to go along with it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back