Giving birth in Edinburgh

larceny

Reaction score
Hi there - new here! I am very happy to discover I am pregnant at the age of 37, esp after having a miscarriage last year. I've been doing my research on birth options, and am horrified by the statistics on the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary - only 22% rate of normal, unassisted births!!! It seems to be considered a real "baby factory" - lots of inducements, caesarians, etc. Am seriously considering a home birth!!! Does anyone have any firsthand advice and/or knowledge of giving birth in Edinburgh? Thank you.

Hi there,

I don't have any actual experience to share but I am booked for a homebirth in Edinburgh next month, with the Royal/Simpson as my back-up plan. Its caesarean rate is very high (27%), which does suggest a tendency towards intervention, although they are apparently working to bring it down. I just wanted to say that I've had a great experience so far with the community midwives in Edinburgh. They are very supportive of homebirths and didn't try and discourage me at all, despite this being my first. I'd really encourage you to explore this option.

Hi,

I gave birth in Edinburgh on the 20th March and had a good experience. I was induced as i was by then 12 days overdue and it didn't look like my body was going to do it naturally in the next few days and my blood pressure was slightly raised. I wasn't keen on being induced but the midwives did it very slowly and were always there with me. the labour suite was quiet that night so i had a lot of support. I felt i was in control of my labour and given pain relief when I asked for it. I was started on the 19th at 5pm and had Lily at 3.20pm the next day. Quite a long labour but easier than I expected.

The birth it's self was only 45 mins long and I only had a small tear, not bad considering my baby was 8lb 11oz!

Lily was delivered by a student midwive who was almost finished her training and was fantastic.

The care after was good as well.

hope this helps,
Sally

Hi there,

I'm due to go to Edinburgh as a back-up plan, but currently planning a home birth at home in East Lothian. The midwives here have an excellent home birth record and I have heard that it has the highest rate of home birth in Scotland, however, I'm not sure if this is correct.

I am having a few issues with planning my homebirth at the moment due to my BMI (full story in my diary - link in my signature) but I am hoping to battle through and push for what I think will be the best experience for me and my baby (however always keeping the health of the baby and I of paramount importance).

Love

Valentine xxx

Thanks v much for sharing your experiences. It's good to hear from both sides, and esp to hear a positive experience of the Simpson to balance some of the less positive I've found. I've been to see my GP and she's already trying to guilt-trip me into not even considering a home birth, despite my being a fit and healthy non-smoker. Glad to hear the community midwives might be more supportive! I think I may pop along to the Birth Resource Centre here in Edinburgh for do some more research, as I would really like to have it at home if the pregnancy progresses well and normally. There was an article in the paper a couple of weekends ago that said that in the Netherlands over 30% of mothers have home births, and insurance companies automatically send mothers-to-be complementary home birth kits!

No experience of Edinburgh but I had a home birth and would highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back