Things keep going wrong

Tara1985

Reaction score
Hello,

Ok so this is my second moany thread and I hate feeling this way. There is no need to reply.

At the beginning of my pregnancy I had problems with my lodger so asked her to move out. In short I had two months of worry and feeling uncomfortable in my own home. The last week of her living me was at is worse and I was really worried about the stress upsetting baby.

Since then things have got better and i've been enjoying my pregnancy at last. We decided to sell our 3 door VW Polo to get a bigger car so placed an ad. Within a day we had a buyer, inspected the car and test drove it. Paid the money immediately, 45 minutes he comes back to say the engine light is on :shock: I didn't know what to do as everything was signed over so I said lets get a mechanic to look at it to see what the problem is before we decide next step. RAC came and said there was nothing wrong, reset the light and the guy drove home. Well, I have had an email to say he broke down in the fast lane and had to run for his life :shock: I'm so stressed out my poor baby probably has a headache. Citizen Advice suggest I am not liable anymore but I still feel bad. This didn't happen to me before but as soon as he said I endangered his life it's like I'm waiting for the police to knock my door.

I just want to crawl into bed and stay there. Have been crying and obsessing over this for days. I'm not in a position to be taken to small claims court when I'll be due soon. I'm so worried about this causing my baby distress. Everything I have touched since being pregnant has gone to shit. :cry:

The only time I smile at the moment is when bubs kicks. I should be SO happy right now. Sorry for whining girls. I know no one can fix this. Just helps to off load.

xxxxx

Last edited:
There is nothing he can do, he test drove it, and bought it on that basis, just because it's not working now doesn't mean anything.

Even if he does try small claims there is not a lot I think they could do either.

Try and stay calm for your babies sake, stresses not good for you or him, do you have anyone that can help support you with this? Xxx

Hi Bella and congrats on becoming a mummy :)

I just can't stop stressing and then that upsets me more because I know it's no good for either of us. My partner is doing his best to cheer me up. He made pavlova and even that didn't help so things are bad for me!!! He said the same as you but I just can't but worry. I think if he takes it to small claims he will say it was misrepresented. I can not prove I had no problem other then 6 months prior which I told him about.

Thanks, it does help you are saying the same things as the old man. Will try and de-stress.

xxxx

He hasn't got a leg to stand on, I wouldn't get stressed. You did more than most would do x

Sold as seen, it wouldn't matter if he drove away and it burst into flames. As the buyer it was up to him to carry out necessary checks and have a technician look over the vehicle as required. As soon as the cash changed hands, that vehicle was no longer your responsibility. You already went above and beyond by calling the RAC out, who said there was nothing wrong- so they are more liable than you could ever be!

Try not to stress hun, these things happen (I work in a car dealership!) You should be enjoying your pregnancy, not worrying unnecessarily

Have a hug xx :hugs:

Hi... Chin up! And try and not worry! If you had the RAC out and they said there was no problem, then this is more proof. And if citizens advice have said the same, you really shouldn't worry... If the man gets in contact with you again, ignore it, and if he continues go to the police and see what they say... You havnt done anything wrong! It's easier said than done, but try not to worry... Why don't you go and get some nice baby things, that always cheers me up!!x

Try not to worry hun, it,s not your problem, he test drove it and was happy with it, and he was there when the guy said nothing was wrong, which you didn,t have to do, there,s no way he can say you sold it knowing there was a problem. Obviously he,s upset coz he,s just spent money on it but he can,t blame you. Xx

Hun not being funny but u did more than anyone else would have And also. U only have his word to go on that this actually happened. Has he had a mechanic have a look at it??? It's not ur problem any more just concentrate on u and if he is telling the truth be thankful that it wasn't when u were driving. Xxxx

Thanks girls, trying not to worry. This is my worse trait. My baby will be wrapped in cotton wool until they leave home no doubt!!!

He emailed me to say I said it was in perfect working order. I'm scared he'll say this was a misrepresentation but like you have all pointed out the RAC said nothing so I promise to stop worrying. Good idea Lolly, retail therapy always help :) and Belle I am so glad this did not happened to me. In a weird way of looking at this! luck was on my side. Just feel bad for him and you would know why if you read the email. My heart strings were seriously pulled.

Will keep you all posted as I'm sure I'll hear back from him.

xxxx

Last edited:
Hiya! As the others have said - you are not liable for what happens to car after you have sold it. If it happened a week, or a month after you sold it to him he would have no more come back than he does on the day that he bought it. He test drove it and if he didn't get a trained mechanic to check it over on his behalf that is on his head.
I would not be upset by it but more angry..... you said that his email pulled on your heart strings... it sounds to me like he could be taking the pee and playing on your vulnerability. Im sure he will come back with something but if he starts making threats about what action he can take I would call him on it! If he has the time, money and resources to do so let him spend it as I don't think the outcome will change for you - you are not liable! If he wants to go after someone you should advise him the RAC (who are a reputable organisation) gave the car the all clear and he drove it away on their advice, not yours.

I have just asked my hubby and his friend and they say that as the car was 'sold as seen' once the money had changed hands you have no responsibility. Don't let him bully you into making any more payments/ offering anymore help. I would just politely say that you are sorry for the experience that he has had but whilst the car was in your ownership you had never had this problem (how do you know he wasn't doing 90mph in the fast lane and pushing the car beyond its limits?!)

Stay strong and don't give in! (and if you feel it stressing you out take a deep breath and give you baby bump a hug!)XX

This matter is out of ur hands. U sold it to him, and it was up to him to make sure it was working before he handed over the money for it.
As the others have rightly pointed out, u went above and beyond by calling RAC! Trust me, he hasn't got a leg to stand on even if he does take it to small claims court.

To be honest, if I were u, I'd tell the police about his emails. Because he's harassing u! There's nothing u can do if the car breaks down - its his car!!

Please don't worry about it! There really is nothing he can do xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks ladies :) all your comments have helped and I've had a nice afternoon so will try and get on with it and cross the bridge if I have to. It does make me feel better that RAC confirmed the car was roadworthy because obviously I am not a mechanic so this will help in court if it even gets there. Not sure what I would do or who to moan to if I didn't have PF. I don't want to go on and on to friends and family because they would just say I'm silly for getting upset!

Thanks again.

xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94