car troubles

Nurse 26

Reaction score
Hey ladies, wanted to get your thoughts on this

So currently I have a 2 door car and hubby has a van for work, loads of people said to me its much easier having a 4door with baby so me and hubby had long chat and decided we don't want to commit to another car loan at the moment as he has a small amount left to pay on van and car is payed off. So we agreed to see how we get on with the 2 door

Yesterday we were at a family do and my dad and hubby were discussing cars and my dad has just been looking at buying a new car so anyways the chat leads on to him offering to give us the car he's trading in and trading in ours instead. His has 4doors, is a few years newer and is top of the range, he also looks after it so its in great condition. He would loose out on a few thousand but is not bothered and he can easily afford it.

So in the car home hubby says we are not to take the deal as he thinks its a 'handout' and he does not like taking money from others.

Do you think he's being unreasonable?

Sorry its a long one. Xx

Tbh yeah I think he's being unreasonable. No-one needs extra debts these days and it seems a sensible solution to me, your dad is swapping cars with you, what he does with it afterwards is down to him.
When I had my 2 door car I flatly refused to take my nephews in it as if I needed to get them out quick after an accident or something I would have limited access to them. It sounds far fetched but they are too precious to risk.
If the car is yours it's not really up to hubby what you do with it. Ask him what he would think if he offered the same to your pregnant daughter and her hubby said no?

Sounds a bit harsh but this really is a good answer to a problem

Good luck xxxxxxxxx

It's a bit ungrateful of your oh as your dad is obv wanting to help you guys out. I am in a similar predicament in that I have a 2 door car but hubby has a 4 door company car. To be honest I'm happy with having a two door car after a scare i had with my nephew a few years back. I had a 4 door car back then and although child locks were on, he managed to open the door! Thankfully we were on my sisters drive at the time. But I know my hubbys nephew did this when travelling down the motorway!xx

Hey hun, I think swapping cars is a great option, the perfect solution really. I don;t think it's a handout, just a sensible solution and I can imagine your dad would be chuffed he could help.

As well as the safety aspect I know my sister ended up with a very bad back getting her child in out out of the back seat of a 2 door car, it's not ideal if you can help it xxx

I dont think its a handout hun and think its quite sensible.
Has your OH tried putting a car seat in and out of your two seater? If he sees how awkward it can be, he might realise that ur dads suggestion is a good one!
Cos its not only the car seat ur trying to manouevure but also the weight of a baby inside of it.
If you dont have a car seat yet, maybe see if you can borrow one off someone and give it a go.

Thanks for the comments ladies

BB the car belongs to both of us so really it has to be a joint decision

I'm going to have another chat with him and try to make him realise its best for baby, I was worried about accidents and getting baby out ect. Hadn't thought about child locks ect but that's way down the line I guess. I have airbags in front so baby couldn't go in front.

Oh i see. Is it in your name though? my OH won;t transfer our car to my name cos he knows I'd swap it for a 4x4 or something lol.....I've been practising his signature for months :rofl: xxxxxx

Haha my oh is the same, cars in his name, dash!

Jomc that's a great idea I'm going to borrow a car seat and give it a go! X

Jomc that's a great idea I'm going to borrow a car seat and give it a go! X

Its worth trying... dont have any experience of it myself but it was something my cousin complained about. She had a 2 door BMW of some sort and said it was quite awkward, especially as the baby got a bit bigger

I think it's a great idea and lovely of your Dad to offer. Maybe it's a pride thing for your OH, he wants to show he is able to look after you and baby himself and you can kind of see what he is saying.

However, it's not like your Dad is buying you a new car or giving you a couple of thousand in cash. I wouldn't call it a hand out. Parents want to help their children and if he can afford it then what the hell.

Do your OH and Dad get on? Maybe your Dad could speak to OH for you try to explain it's not a handout and he just wants to make your lives a little easier.

It sounds like pride getting in the way, my o/h would be like that too.
I hope he listens when u explain the practicalities to him x

Sounds like my man and he is putting pride before sense iykwim, Its not exactly a handout if your swapping cars and at times like pregnancy you need to take help when you can get it because like you said you defo dont want to go getting another loan when you will have so much more expence with the baby, Having a 2 door is fairly anoying from what iv seen of friends with then and babys and can be hard on your back trying to get the baby in and out especially when he/she is tiney.

Maybe try have a chat again, its not like your dad offered to buy you a car its just a swap and when it comes to trade ins he prob wont be loosing as much anyway

Hope you get it sorted hun sounds like a great idea to me :)

I agree with jomc. Go to babies r us and ask to try one out ;) We did that and it made us decide to go for a fixed base (OH didn't see need to before).

I think it's a pride thing too. Nothing wrong with parents helping out their kids though. You'd do the same for your lo.

xxx

I had a 2 door with my first daughter. I hated it. It was fine while she was tiny, but as she got heavier and I had to swing her around the door, put my foot in the car, swing her around the passenger seat, which inevitably always wants to fall back on you, so you have to use your backside to keep it in place, get her into a good position, get the seatbelt around her and then swing my hips around the whole obstacle to get out of the car. As you can imagine, my back hurt and I rarely wanted to get back in the car!!!!

I would have loved your Dad's offer at the time!!!! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back