Gestational Diabetes - Advice Needed

Vicky_Gazerimmer

Reaction score
I had my first appointment with the consultant today cause theres a small chance I might get gestational diabetes due to family history and my weight.

I asked the consultant what problems can be caused to the baby if I had it and she told me the baby could end up bigger cause it would get all my sugar, then she mentioned something else a technical word I didnt understand :rotfl: I was so confused by the situation I didnt think to ask what it was.

Is anyone else have these tests done or have gestational diabetes. I need advice!

I had to have a GTT done becuase my BMI is 34.

You are not allowed anything to eat from 10pm the night before, and only allowed water. THen they take some bloods, make you drink a wonderful drink (at my hospital it is nasty :puke: some are better than others), and then after 2 hours of rest, you have to have more bloods taken.

the risks are:
bigger than adverage baby
more fluid around baby
increased risk of problems for baby at birth
plus potential long term health issues for mum, but GD usualy goes away after birth.

i think if they do come back high, you get scans to check on babies growth, plus see a dietician re healthy eating.

i know it is easier said than done but try not to worry or stress over it. :hug:

I still have a copy of the leaflet they gave me for mine. If you want me to scan it in and send it over Pm me hun.

i have to have this test due to family history and being overweight i had the test last pregnancy and it was all ok xxxx

I was meant to have it done as my aunt and nan have diabetis, but at the 12 wk scan, it seemed the nurse couldn't be bothered and said i only needed it done if MY parents have it. However my midwife disagrees completely (and also i too am overweight, and my sister goes borderline when she is pregnant) so she said she will do the test at 22 weeks when i see her next. She also had a go at the hospital for not doing them xx

I've got to have one of these because of my PCOS, I think the midwife said I'll get it at about 28 weeks.

hi hun -
we get the test as standard here at 28 weeks. dont need to starve yourself but have to drink 1 small bottle of lucazade then turn up for bloods 1 hour later.

mine was fine but i needed another test later in pregnancy as when i had my routine appt with docs they tested my wee and it had a sugar in it (it was becase i had eaten 3 jam tarts about an hour before - craving! - but she made me test again anyway :lol: )

this one was starve from 9 pm the night before, then get up and wee, drink a glucose solution - like sugar water - then go and have the test about 2 hours later (nothing else to drink and no peeing!)
when i got to docs they said lets do the bloods first then the urine test - i politely pointed out that a heavily pregnant woman cant go 2 hours without a pee at the best of times let alone having just drunk loads of sugery water that makes baby do loop the loop on my bladder!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have no advise that I can offer but sure it will all be fine :hug:

I was supposed to have mine last week, I couldnt be mithered. My mother and grandmother have diabetes, I'm not overweight nor have I shown any increase in protein or sugar in bloods or urine so I cancelled. They were not happy but I think that is putting me through more stress and IF I show signs later on then fine but at the moment everything is as it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back