Gestational diabetes, anyone?

jsykes1975

Reaction score
Hi,

Had a glucose tolerance test today at the hospital after a second episode of traces of glucose in urine during check ups.

It seems in the 2 hour waiting time, my body did next to nothing with the sugar and I had a reading of ++++. My blood samples have now been sent to the diabetic clinic for consideration of gestational diabetes.

So, of course, I came home and googled and wish I hadn't bothered.

Apparently, not only a greater risk of still birth, caesarean section and birth defects, but would also be more likely to develop type 2 diabetes in the next 10 years. Really worried now.....

Anyone had a similar diagnosis? Positive outcomes?

Julie xxxxxxx

Emma Mary 18 wk miscarriage 02.05.08 Always Missed

:hug: :hug: try not to worry hun, google always paints a bad picture. It is very common and although it has some additional risks these are small and it can be well controlled once they diagnose it so finding out is a good thing. Also it is only an increased risk of type 2 diabetes in the future it does not mean you will get it especially if your diet is healthy.

I had insulin dependant Diabetes with santi and have diabetes again in this pg but no insulin yet :pray:

If you want to know anything pm me.

Its not actually that bad :D

i had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancys so if you need to know anything pm me hun :hug:

Thanks girls.....

Ella-see you're a Northern Irish girl, same as me. What hospital are you at?

Betty/jaydesmummy- will def PM you girls when I know for sure what I'm dealing with.

Just a bit concerned because I sailed through my first 2 pregnancies and this one has been one thing after another.
I'm wondering if the loss of Emma is connected as I read a cause may be a previous stillbirth.
Also, at almost 34, I'm obviously a good bit older than my previous pregnancies.....who knows?

Julie xxxxx

Emma Mary 18wk miscarriage 02.05.08 Always missed

I have it with this one and didn't have it with my first 3. Mine is being controlled with diet alone and isn't causing any problems if you want to chat/info feel free to pm me too hun :hug:

jsykes1975 said:
Ella-see you're a Northern Irish girl, same as me. What hospital are you at?

Im in the royal, they were brilliant when I had my son there, even though I live nearer the Ulster. Where are you going?

Hi,

If it's any consolation, I too was diagnosed with gestational diabetes yesterday and I'm a bit worried about it.

I have to test my blood 4 X per day.

I think it's very common but I hope the next 11 weeks fly by.

Good luck.

Sara

hi, i suffered with gestational diabetes with both of mine. luckily i was able to control it with diet alone. mark was born 6lb 11 after being told i would have a big baby!!! i was a little worse witrh grace and as it got to the end of my pregnany i could not keep my blood suger down so they induced me. grace was bigger 8lb 15 but i had both of them with no problems. They check babies sugars for 24-48 hrs after birth but we had no issues. hopefully you it wont cause you to many problems x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back