Teach your baby to read

Discussion in 'Discounts, Deals & Freebies' started by Tiny Sue, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

hey girls

My Dad used this kit to teach me to read at a very young age and has been on at me to try it with Naomi. I don't think it afforded me any particular advantage to be able to read the newspaper headlines at three, but I have always loved books and reading.

Anyone ever try it and does anyone know where it can be got? Any opinions on rushing into reading? I'm a teacher, so you'd think I'd be all for it but I am strangely unenthused.

Sue

2. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

*smacks forehead*

The name of the kit was "teach your baby to read" by a Dr Glenn Doman.

Forgot to post that!

Sue

3. skatty

skatty Well-Known Member

I know this message is a few weeks old but I thought I'd reply anyway! I'm really interested in getting that book and will have a look on Amazon. My parents taught myself and my brothers to read at an early age and we are all still complete bookworms! I think its a great gift to give your child - a passion for books that is. Even now I have so many friends that are envious of the way I can get engrossed in a good book. I believe it helps with your education and learning skills too because you have a wider vocabulary and a vivid imagination if you read a lot. Anyway thansk for the tip!

Katt x

4. emilia

emilia Well-Known Member

Kit sounds interesting... however, didn't use any kit with my kids. Just started reading to them from 3 months. They're obsessed with reading at age 12 and 10.
    Oscar just got his first book and loves it!!
    Enjoy....
    Emilia xx

5. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

Seren loves her cloth book but I think that has more to do with the fact it crinkles when you squeeze it. However she loves it when we read her a story, especially her Dr Suess pop up book as she can watch the pics move. She also tries and reads along with it too. I love reading and hope she does too.

6. Tara & Liam

Tara & Liam Well-Known Member

We have read to Joshua every night since he was 6 months old and he loves stories. he follows the words with his fingers, even though he isnt really reading.

he can spell quite a lot of words though. he will be four in May

7. Dee1985

Dee1985 Well-Known Member

:oops: iv never read a book to Dior and she is 1yrs old!!!!!

well i tryed with her layin next to me in bed and she just jumped all over me and wanted to play fight instead, shes not the quietest of babies

8. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

I read to Jessica from an early age and she loves books now. Our favourites are picture recognition books..For a while now she has been able to pick out objects that I ask her too like, where is the ball, where is the kite and she can parrot them back to me.

If I point to things she can tell me what they are and she loves a story as well.

Its well worth having a go.

9. lauramumof2

lauramumof2 Well-Known Member

I read to Jessica from an early age and she loves books now. Our favourites are picture recognition books..For a while now she has been able to pick out objects that I ask her too like, where is the ball, where is the kite and she can parrot them back to me.

If I point to things she can tell me what they are and she loves a story as well.

Its well worth having a go.