Teaching to read at 3?

babsi

Reaction score
I'm going to get Kai a series of books to try and teach him to read a little. I personally think he will enjoy it, he recognises letters really well, if he doesn't want to do it, fine, leave it for another time.

What do other think?

i think its a fab idea, my sister reads with my 3 yr old nephew and hes just learning to tell the time,

gOOD luck with it#

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Seren loves her books, she will sit there for ages and "read" them to Cally (she just knows them off by heart so isn't reading as such). She likes reading her name, Cally, Mummy, Daddy and Nanny but that's all we will do with her tbh. If you think he'll enjoy it go for it.

Go for it, I do lots of letter stuff with Stanley. I learned to read on Peter and Jane from the age of 3 and would love Stanley to be a good reader.

Stanley's only 2 but he can reconise the names of friends and family and he names and sounds about half the alphabet. I'd rather do English stuff than Maths :lol:

Minxy said:
Go for it, I do lots of letter stuff with Stanley. I learned to read on Peter and Jane from the age of 3 and would love Stanley to be a good reader.

Stanley's only 2 but he can reconise the names of friends and family and he names and sounds about half the alphabet. I'd rather do English stuff than Maths :lol:

lol Seren beats me hands down at maths (though that isn't hard)

Definitely just make it as fun as possible. Most of his learning will be from that more than anything, lots of singing and nursery rhymes. Knowing about rhyme is one of the absolute foundations of reading and literacy in general. Picture books with big individual words are good because rather than teaching them the alphabet and sounds they focus on recognising certain words as a whole. One little boy I taught last year struggled with the alphabet and trying to "sound" things out and it was soooo fulfilling for him to be able to recognise and read a word without the pressure of having to go a-c-a-t-s-a-t-o-n-a-m-a-t to read.

Don't get me started on maths, I did not too bad when I was at high school but I can't do much beyond primary level now :oops:

We have been doing it with Tyler since he turned 3, and he has picked things up really well. He can now recognise and spell basic 3/4 letter words and some bigger words that he sees a lot. A couple of his very basic books with simple wording, he can now read by himself and he is also learning to write them at the moment. He is really good with his name and mum, dad, dog, baby etc, he spells these without hesitation now and can also write them clearly so anyone could read it :D We bought him a couple of new books for christmas with basic words in that we knew he would know, but he obviously didnt know the book to read it from memory, and he read it all straight away without help :clap: Im so proud of him, he is learning really quickly and excited about learning too. Just be consistent with things and encourage them as much as you can, its amazing how quickly they pick things up x :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back