Surestart Maternity Grant- How long?

KirstysFirst

Reaction score
I've heard that it can take up to 10 weeks now because of the high pregnancy rate and high job loss rate, so more applications for it.. but they dont let you apply untill 29 weeks, i sent my form off the day i turned 30 weeks, I'm 31 weeks tomorrow, so only 9 weeks left.. I've got a ridiculously low income aswell so I'm really relying on this grant to buy essentials for him, has anyone else applied? how long did yours take? because im really worried i wont get it in time to buy stuff :(

I got mine 8 days after posting, they did contact my midwife tho to get her to conferm my pregnancy but that could have been because I have twins. X

What's a sure start maternity grant?x

Its a grant you get from the Jobcenter if you are on benefits/ low income to help with buying baby things, its £500 :) google it and you will find the DWP website with it on with everything you need to know :)

I got mine 8 days after posting, they did contact my midwife tho to get her to conferm my pregnancy but that could have been because I have twins. X

When was this?

Congratulations on twins! wow! If i ever had twins I've always said I'd want 1 boy 1 girl :3 just the one boy for me though :)

I posted mine about 2 weeks ago.
Did they write to you scatty or did it just go into your account?

I posted mine 2 weeks ago and got it in my account last week x

Im in the process of appealing my decision :-( x

What's a sure start maternity grant?x

Its a grant you get from the Jobcenter if you are on benefits/ low income to help with buying baby things, its £500 :) google it and you will find the DWP website with it on with everything you need to know :)

It's not just people on low income/benefits.

EVERYONE can claim for it! :)

------------- edit --------------

just searched and is only for people on benefits :( .... my midwife mentioned a grant that everyone gets thats £500???

Last edited:
From the website:

Eligibility

Usually, to qualify for a Sure Start Maternity Grant there must be no other children in your family and you must get one of these benefits
:Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element

I was told this no longer exsists x

The Sure Start one definitely still exists as midwife has mentioned it a few times and I got the application form today :)
Maybe it's a different one that doesn't exist anymore - I did read about a £190 for everyone but not sure if it's still around x

Mine came through three weeks after I had applied for it, I didn't get a letter I rang and they told me when it was going in :) so you could always give them a call & they should be able to give you the progress x

The £190 one was called health in pregnancy , supposed to be given after 25 weeks to encourage pregnant ladies to go and get mw checks and advice etc... I was one of the last to get in , as they disbanded it with all the other cuts in jan 2011, along with the child trust fund. My son was born 6th jan that year, I claimed it before the xmas very helpful at the time, but really silly use of goverment money , people who don't get checked in pregnancy are crasy! We didnt get the trust fund tho, that went just before

Last edited:
I thought I would get this but it's only for first children or twins. Crazy really, there's nearly a 13 year gap between this one and my last. Do they really expect you to keep all your baby things for that long?

I'm sure I'm eligible for milk tokens too but not sure where to apply :(

Tapatalking so can't see sigs

I thought I would get this but it's only for first children or twins. Crazy really, there's nearly a 13 year gap between this one and my last. Do they really expect you to keep all your baby things for that long?

I'm sure I'm eligible for milk tokens too but not sure where to apply :(

Tapatalking so can't see sigs

I think I got the application form for healthy start vouchers from my midwife? I'm sure it was anyway - if not, see if they have them online but I think midwife has to sign the form x

Dont think ill be entitled because we are not on benefits and in their eyes, not a low income either. I will apply anyway.
If we dont get it I will be so annoyed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back