The SureStart Maternity Grant

Urchin

Reaction score
Maternity grant

Coping with the extra costs of a new baby can be difficult, especially if you’re on a low income. There’s a grant to help you give your baby a positive start in life. It’s called the Sure Start Maternity Grant (SSMG).

The grant is made from the Social Fund and you do not have to pay it back. It is available from the Department of Work and Pensions.
Who can get the grant?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting:

* Income Support
* Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
* Pension Credit
* Child Tax Credit at a higher rate than family element THIS IS £1090 IF YOU HAVE A CHILD UNDER 1 AND £546 IF YOU DON'T eg if you are still pregnant...YOU CAN CLAIM BEFORE BABY IS BORN, IF YOU LEAVE IT TOO LATE YOU MAY LOSE YOUR ENTITLEMENT TO THE GRANT!
* Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

How do I claim?

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant on form SF100 Sure Start, which you can get from your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Details are also available at the DWP - Maternity Section on their website.

HELPLINE: 0845 608 8649

Sorry but I really still don't get it :wall:

I came to this section to ask about what you have wrote in red but now im even more confused.

I know I got the grant last time because my partner diddn't start work until my EDD, but this time he works, we have child tax and working tax credit and Aaliyah is 2. :think: I just don't know how to work it out! Sorry i'm so dopey at times :wall:

Edit: I thought i'd let you know we get £50 per week child tax credit, so because thats quite a high ammount for child tax credit does that mean we would not be entitled to the grant?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back