SureStart Maternity Grant

Bee7

Reaction score
I keep hearing different things about the SureStart grant. I've looked on the direct.gov webpage and it says that only people who are on certain benefits are likely to get it (income support, jobseekers etc). But i've been told by numerous people that if you're on a low income (16k or less) then you can apply. At the moment i'm still living with my parents and am on less than 16k, although i don't claim any benefits. Would it be worth applying do you think? Me and OH are looking to move in together in the new year, and if/when we live together they'd probably take our joint income into account and we wouldn't be eligible for anything, so if i apply it'll have to be before my circumstances change. I could really do with extra cash to get set up with baby stuff. Struggling a lot at the mo. Has anyone else had any experience with this? xx

hi hun, you have 3 months to claim for it after baby is born, so when you move out and the household income is less than 16,000, and you will most probably be getting child tax credits so you can get it xx

It was the same for me, i couldn't get it when pregnant cause i worked, but got made redundant and got the benefits after Josh was born so i could apply after he was here xx

Thanks hun. The thing is, i'm planning to be moved out and living with OH by the time baby arrives so by then they'll take our joint income into account. OH and i are both low income but put together we obviously earn over 16k :( might still be worth looking into though....xx

Better to do it once baby is here and moved out, as your living with parents they will take their income into account while you are there!
XxX

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

it used to be for everyone, now its pretty much only for ppl on income support or jobseekers i think. worth a go anyway tho so apply now and then apply once baby is born. worst that can happen is they say no, best outcome u get it so nothing to lose

What is it ladies I have never heard of it xxx

It's a one off government grant of up to £500 that some families get to help out with costs for baby. I think you can apply from 11 weeks of your due date up to baby being 3 months old. You can find more out about it on the direct.gov website, but from what i've seen on there it seems that only families on benefits are likely to get it.

Still as Bev said it could be worth applying just to see. The worst they can do is say no. What makes me laugh is that on the application form they don't even ask what your salary is?! Do they just assume that only people on benefits need help? Winds me up xx

Nice to know there is help out there. We had something similar in Ireland but wasnt as much money. It was only for people on benefits x

if u get tax credits u might be eligible to claim for it but since your not entitled to it till the last month of preg if u earn more u arent likley to get it.the average family of 4 gets less than 12k a yr so consider that next time u *think* u are skint!

Hey ladies

If your not on jobseekers or income support, its all to do with the amount of child tax credits that you will be entitled to once the baby is born.

If you are on a low income, you will get more child tax credits. There is a certain threshold to qualify for the sure start grant. If you phone up about child tax credits and tell them your income and your partners income, they will be able to tell you how much you will be entitled to once the baby is born. If you are entitled to an amount that is higher than the family allowance (ask them about this) then you will get the sure start grant once the baby is born if you apply for it within the first 3 months.

Hope this helps :) x

blah porridge brain i meant to say a family of 4 on benefits lives on under 12k a yr lol im not even sure if ill be entitled to it because the csa have just started taking money from my kids sperm doner for them.looks like he might be paying for this baby to and its not his lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back