Small Bump.

frankie707

Reaction score
Had my 31 week appointment today and saw a new midwife (that I haven't seen before) all is okay apart from the fact that bump only measured 28cm (that is exactly what it was 3 weeks ago!), she said they're not concerned as long as its within 3 cm and then realised that that put me on the border and just said see how it is in another 3 weeks! Not too worried but have to admit there is now a little bit of concern in me.
Baby has been moving around lots and heartbeat was good and strong so I'm sure its ok just the first time since 8 weeks that this hasn't been textbook pregnancy.

Sorry pointless post, just not sure what to think.

i think if youve felt movement and a decent heartbeat, your probably ok. if your baby changes position or whatever surely that can affect the bump measurement? youre right though, if it isnt text book then you do get worried!! id try not to worry and just make sure you feel movement and ring her if you go for a long period of no movement. xx

I was also told that different people can measure it slightly differently, so I'm sure its fine!!

I'm measuring 5 weeks behind hun! They were gonna send me for a scan but I said he does his 10 movements a day and Lacey was small through pregnancy but came out average size! They must like to tuck themselves up inside us!!

I find towards the later stages growth seems to peter off as they're just filling out the apace in our uterus and of course them moving down into your pelvis is also a factor. Then all of a sudden they have a huge growth spurt! I honestly wouldn't worry hun, your baby seems happy in there!

Last edited:
My bump is measuring small but had a scan ad baby is ok
They told me zander was gonna be 6pm max at birth (last pregnancy)
And he was 8lb 3 lol!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalku

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, knew it probably was nothing but lovely to have you guys here to back me up on that :)

oh they told me on every 1 that i was going to have a small baby like 5lb and i gave birth to a 7lb 10 baby girl the shock on the midwives face at the size of her lol other midwives measure differently too its like a set of scales no 2 are the same haha, dont worry your baby will be just fine :)

Hey I know exactly how you feel. although the MW doesnt sound concerned, you cant help but think about it. Try and take no notice.

at my last appt she measured me at 33 weeks (I was 35)

at every appt before i was measuring 2 weeks ahead of my dates. the most recent appt where i measured smaller, she literally dangled the measuring tape over me and decided it was fine for "34" weeks. then she checked my notes and said, "oh, you're 35 weeks"

spent a week worrying and now i dont care.

i measured small with my son and he was born at 8lb 3oz. They really don't have a clue unless they scan you hunni.

Try not to let it get to you. Easier said than done but we have to try ;-) xx

Try not to worry - easier said than done I know but least there's lots of girls on here who've also been told that they measured small and everything turned out fine.

I'm not sure how accurate these measurements are. I've not been measured at all which is some ways I don't mind but then again I want to know too!

Hi hon,

I wouldn't worry- the fundal height measurement is not very accurate. All the way through my pregnancy I measured 1-2 weeks ahead but scans showed bubs was very small and actually measuring 2-3 weeks behind. Bubs is here now and perfect (although she did come a little early) as I was told is common for small babies.

Well my mw has been measuring me as correct for dates but when i went into hospital people were unconvinced i was even pregnant and one of the hospital midwifes said i was very small and another measured me at 36 wks rather than 39 wks. But today i saw my dr i said i was 40 wks tomorrow and thought i said 14 wks so when i corrected him his jaw dropped!!!
My baby is still very active and although its not kicks its movement like rolls and squirms but i don't think they are very accurate with the measuring!!

My friend was always being told that she was measuring way to small and sent for scans with both her babies and one was 8 lbs and the other just short of 9 lbs.

I know it is easy said than done, but try not to worry. Or if you are really unhappy make an appointment with MW next week and get her to remeasure and if still small make sure they follow up.

:hugs: try not to worry too much tho i know its easier said than done. Make sure they're keeping an eye on you and if you get worried about movement or anything at all... dont be scared to ring them. Thats what they're there for! Everything will be ok xxx

hey, im in the same position im measuring at 28cm and im 32 weeks. had growth scans throughout my pregnancy..baby is just growing at her own rate and consultant seemed very happy. will just mean a smaller baby! the most important thing is that your getting movements :) hope all these comments help and reasuring for you.

Wow, thanks for all the kind words and support everyone!!! Very much appreciated, I'm totally reassured I'm sure my LO will grow as he/she wants too and more than likely was hiding at the back! :)

Hey Frankie I was exactly the same. They sent me for a growth scan. If you're measuring small again at your next appointment and you're still worried ask to go for a growth scan. If nothing else you get to see baby again, get reassured everything is ok and because it's bigger you see so much more. Our last growth scan was brilliant. We saw baby yawning, sucking it's fingers and could see it had hair! Saved us money on a 4D!

Try not to worry, it's so inaccurate different midwives measuring you anyway and with a blinking tape measure too!

Xxx

I'm 40+2 and measuring 37-38 xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kids will have us worrying about growth rates there whole life, health visitor always had my eldest on referal for being on the 9th percentile! He is still tiny and has started senior school now! they all grow at different rates when suits them, no babies are one size fits all. I'm not worried I was well small till I got to 15 , and now I'm 5 foot 10.

My consultant just looked at my tum , measured by eye I guess as he said to his trainee, see she is just right for 20 weeks pregnant, I had to just interupt and say sorry just so you know I'm 23 weeks, he said thats fine, if your scan at 20 weeks was ok I'm not worried how big your belly is! Quite a refreshing attitude really, as I have been measured small for dates on all my pregnancys (I'm a tall lady, with places to hide a baby you see!, and they were only right the last time!)

Last edited:
Just to let you know i've been the same with all my previous pregnancies and this one is also measuring small, I'm waiting on an appointment from the hospital for another scan as my GP wants baby checked before my next scan that is already booked for 35 weeks lol.

All the boys have been not bad weights 6lb 10oz ( 10days late), 6lb 4oz (5days late) and 4lb 1oz(6 weeks early) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back