Silly superstitions...

handbagqueen

Reaction score
...as there seems to be a lot of people believing that if you buy stuff for your baby before its born something will go wrong I thought I'd add a couple more silly ones to the pot so that it can worry people even more :wink:

If you look at ugly or deformed people your baby will turn out ugly!
(Some of you may remember me telling the story of my mum warning me not to watch horror movies and not to get distressed? well I found out at the weekend that this is the basis of that theory!)

If you cut yourself your baby will be scarred (yep, cut my finger the other day and was given this fine nugget of information!)

If you eat too many strawberries your baby will have a strawberry birthmark ( I have one on my hand that looked like a care bear heart when I was born- this was my mums explanation)

I'm happy to say the following are not from my own friends or family (thank goodness as I'd have to disown them!) but from books i've got on the subject- there are so many but I chose the most plausible :rotfl:

If a moon shines when you give birth your baby will be male- if not then it will be female (oh come on!)

Its unlucky to wash the babies head in the first 12 months (yuk!)

oooh, my favourte...a baby born with teeth may be a vampire!! ( think this is really bad luck if it happens and you want to breast feed, but doubt it will turn out to be a creature of the night!)

Come on ladies, we're not in the dark ages anymore! Most superstitions are based on something silly and just been interpreted differently through the ages.
If you buy a pram or baby goods early, just keep the bloomin receipts- people couldn't do this in the olden days so obviosly didn't want to waste their money! God forbid anything does happen but if it does, then ask a friend or family member to take the goods back for you or sell it on ebay for you.

Lecture over! Please take everything you hear with a pinch of salt- my sodium levels are now so high due to my lovely family and friends but thats Polish catholics for you- nightmare!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I couldn't have put it better myself handbagqueen!

Superstition (dictionary definition): a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation

xx

handbagqueen said:
oooh, my favourte...a baby born with teeth may be a vampire!! ( think this is really bad luck if it happens and you want to breast feed, but doubt it will turn out to be a creature of the night!)

Oh please don't let OH read this! He runs a Live Action Roleplay (LARP) set in Vampire world! He would be in his total element :lol:

:pray: that Daniel Kai is a gummy baby :lol:

According to them pregnancy superstitions you have mentioned then my baby is going to be ugly, scarred with a strawberry birthmark :roll: :lol:

In this pregnancy i've watched a few horror films, cut myself while opening a can of rice pudding and craved and eaten loads of strawberries :lol: Oops :lol:

I also bought everything for Nathan while still pregnant and brought them into the house and the same this time :lol:

Now I'm just craving strawberries after reading that :D

Sorry Rachel!
Just to make sure that your baby is alright later in life, remember to carry the baby up the stairs before you go down any stairs!!? I'll be in trouble if my baby comes when I'm at home as I live on 1st floor! :rotfl:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

No matter how many times I try arguing the point that buying things early DOESN'T tempt fate, I've never been able to word it right! - How the heck can buying a bloody buggy or something determine whether or not things will go well?! As long as people know (especially early on) that if things DO go pear shaped they might have to pack it all away again tearfully then I don't see a problem.

I know people will disagree with this topic but I think there are more important things like drinking whilst pregnant and stuff having more of an impact on how the pregnancy will go!

xx

I agree, it does suck when a pregnancy goes wrong, but to be fair, that is far worse than having to pack something you've bought away. I bought a doppler which arrived the day before I miscarried last year.

I didnt even know about the not keeping stuff in your house superstition until my friend mentioned it..

I think its silly myself

And ive been eating loads of strawberrys...yum xx

Mildly said:
Now I'm just craving strawberries after reading that :D

me too yummm!

these are the sort of things that deans mum would say to me! lol and id be too polite to disagree!

hiya all

well just to let you know what my experiences were i had 2 ectopic pregnancies and i had brought items into the house, it was some little slippers the first time can't remember the second time took them out of the house and i had ashley

i had strawberrires when carrying as it was the only thing i could eat and he was born with a birth mark

both of my boys were born with teeth and they both have the devil in them so would suprise me if they were vampires (if there is any)

i don't like horror films anyway and i've been lucky not to cut myself through my pregnancies so can't comment on that

as for washing babies head for 12 months, don't know wheather is bad luck but your not supposed to wash babys head for about 3 weeks i think it is because there is something in the goo on there head that has things in it
i do think it's abit weired when some people smells babies head and says " oh i love that baby smell" and you think about where it has come from :rotfl:

sorry its abit long

bobs xxx :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back