Prenatal Depression

kellyannlyle

Reaction score
Hello all......

I have been to see the doctor about not sleeping, never hungry, headaches, crying and mood swings.

He said that I am suffereing from prenatal depression. I know there are loads of people posting things about this and sorry if it is repeating things said or being silly but I have noidea what to do.

I am in a difficult situation with the father of my baby... Not around as he is married.... wants to carry on with me but keep me and bump a secret and wants nothing to do with the baby. Which is clearly something that would get anyone down. The doctor said that this is not the cause.... prenatal depression is symptomatic of hormone inbalance etc....

He wants me to talk to my midwife but getting her is like finding a Leprechaun. Friends and family have said the whole "we are there for you" etc but I just do not feel like they truely nderstand the magnitude of my feelings..... Now the bump is getting very active in riggling around I cry when it happens.... feel like I have ranted but I am hoping for other people feeling it or have felt it and have gotten through it!

I know that when the baby is born I will love him or her totally but I am worried about ths getting any worse!!!!

eeeekkkkk not good!!!

I dont have much advice really but :hug:

Its very sad with the situation of your babys father. Certainly not the best of things for you or for his wife but sounds like things are fine and dandy for him. I guess not much will happen there till you really start to stamp your feet and get him to make up his mind. Has he got children in that relationship?

Dont really know what else to say just hope you start feeling a bit more happy soon :hug:

Hey guys.... Its not really the case of advice on the situation - I know it is rubbish and I will be the one that gets hurt... MANY women go through raising a child alone and do VERY well - my mum did woth me and my brother... more the fear that what i am feeling could actually be more than feeling down about the situation!!!

That scares me- you read what people do after birth with PND - scares me!

I haven't been through this but I just wanted to offer you some of these :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hiya hun,

I would try to contact your midwife again, if you can't get in touch with her ask to speak to another one. I'm sure they have had dealings with this type of thing before and she may be able to point you in the direction of a good support group or similar.

No one knows the exact cause for prenatal depression, hormone imbalance is one theory but...

It could be down to hormonal shifts or any number of psychological or social factors: a history of depression or anxiety, an unplanned pregnancy, relationship stress, a lack of support from family or friends, a previous miscarriage or stillbirth, a past trauma or concern about the future. What seems undisputed is that pregnancy depression can happen to any woman, regardless of her personal circumstances or psychiatric history.

So as much as you would like to you can't shy away from the fact that your current situation isn't helping you. But you know that already so I won't go on about it.

I definately think some support group would help, especially being able to talk to others who are feeling the same cos you certainly not alone with this.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Also, you doc should have mentioned this, but there are tablets you can take while pregnant to deal with depression! Not all of them pose a risk to the baba and you doc will know which ones etc!
I got PND after my second son and have been dealing with it on and off for nearly 8 years now! Its not something that can be ignored etc!
I hope you find some help and are feeling better soon! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi, I'm glad others have offered some useful advice and I don't have anything to add, but just to send you a :hug: hope things start to look up for you

sorry to hear you are feeling like this hun :hug:
I completely understand what you are going through as I have been quite up and down myself. When I first found out about my pregnancy I was so scared even though it was planned and I was in complete shock for a while and even had thoughts that I didn't want to be pregnant because I thought i'd be a rubbish mother but at the same time was scared that something would happen to my baby. I've had times since then when I have felt depressed and have not been able to see a way out. I promise you it does get better. I'm feeling much happier these days and enjoying my pregnancy, I also can't wait to become a mum, i'm so excited.
These feelings don't last forever, you have done the right thing by going to the doctors. There is a herbal remedy called st johns wort that can be taken for depression, I haven't used it myself but know of others who have and its worked for them but you would have to check with your M/W or doctor if you can take it whilst pregnant. You also don't have to go through it alone, there always people you can talk to, your doctor or M/W might be able to refer you to a counciller or something like that. If you ever need a chat feel free to pm me. :hug:

Sorry your midwife is difficult to get hold of. I hope when you see her that she can offer either counselling or perhaps medication :hug: :hug: I'm sorry you are feeling this way :hug:

Hiya hun,

What you are going through is tough (to say the least) so you are bound to feel depressed. I went through hell and back last year but that was to do with my health. I was determined not to go down the anti depressant route (i know some people feeling differently but it wasnt for me) Instead i had some counselling and it helped no end.

I would definately ask your doc to see if you could get an urgent referral to talk to someone.

Really hope you feel better soon,

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back