never changed a nappy... never fed a baby!!!!

hayley

Reaction score
What have i let myself in for... i've never changed a nappy, i've never fed a baby, never burped one or done any of the things you do to a new born.... i don't have a clue how many ounces of milk you give to a new born and when you increase the amount... i was told the other day - not to bath a baby every day as it's not good for their skin!!! and that you can't put baby oil or lotion on a new borns skin... how do people know these things? is there a new mum book??????? do you change the nappy after feeding or before? does a baby sleep with a dummy or could it choke? how do you know if the baby is warm enough or too hot? when do you know to feed? what if you over feed?

I feel dizzy... when, who is going to teach me all this... how will i remember?

I feel stupid but i was youngest in my family... i don't have any nieces or nephews.... there was no one to practice on when i was growing up!

Help

x

DONT PANIC before B i had never ever touched a baby lol!!!

i know its sounds silly but it realy does come naturally they teach in the hospial bout nappies and feeding and burping!!! i dont bath B everyday only if he does a bad poop and for the lotion thing B has alway had baby lotion on, some babies dont have dummys they prefer there thumb lol and with the warmth thing it is just pretty much commen sence if u think ud be warm then the baby will be ok??? and as ur baby must be due in summer itll give u a chance to learn about it as itll be warmer

hope i have helped
love sarah

Oh dear Lord , now you got me worried Hayley! :lol:

Have you got any books about pregnancy/parenting etc? I've got a good one, with loads of pictures, its called 'The complete book of Mother & Baby Care' by Elizabeth Fenwick and it goes through everything you need to know from conception to 3 years. I really need to go and read it properly!

I'm pretty sure the midwives at the hospital will show you how to change a nappy and bath a baby etc and they go through things like that at the parentcraft classes (i'm learning about feeding next week in mine) so don't worry, it'll all fall into place (she says panicking :shock: :lol: )

Nicki.x :D

awww hayley you are experiencing the same sort of panic that all new mums have like the girls say dont worry the midwives will show you what to do and a lot does come natural as for other stuff there will always be someone you can ask for advice when baby is here you will attend a baby clinic quite regular to get baby weighed etc and there is usually a health visitor there who will be able to advise you and dont forget us lot are here too :D xxxxxxxx

aww Hayley, I feel exactly the same as you. I was just like this with my daughter 13 years ago, and because it has been so long, I feel the same again!!!!

Believe me, it does come naturally. Take anyone's advice with a pinch of salt, as you will undoubtedly find your own way of doing things. The nappy thing is sooooo easy. Once you've done the first poo one :shock: you'll be able to do anything!! The first one is like tar!!!! And it sticks everywhere!!! Not helping much am I? :?

Erm on the plus side you have longer to learn than me!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!

I have changed one nappy in my life and dont have a clue what to do with a newborn, infact i have never even held one!!!

OMG poor bean are you ready for me as a mummy!!! Its perfectly normal to worry if you didnt then itd be odd! it shows we want to do the best by our babies!!

LOL, i'll let you know how i get on with being a mum.... hopefully not too long now!!

thanks a lot girls... still feel a bit nervous but now i know i'm not the only one.. also there'll be people around to help and advise by the sounds of it. I just hope friends and family don't stare at me for the first time when they see me with the baby.. i've always been the one in the family that said "i don't do kids" I used to be the one people joked about never leaving their little ones with me - i'd probaby loose them or drop them!!! but i think i'm going to be a good mum as long as people just give me time to get used to it!!!

Luckily my DH is brilliant with children.. He has 3 of his own although they're grown up now!!! but he is really good with his nephews and nieces.. he's the sensible one out of the 2 of us...

x

I know what you mean, I was exactly the same as you.

But, when it's your own baby you have to get on with things and you will get a lot of support from the hospital and family etc..

We'll surprise ourselves and things should come to us naturally, that's what a lot of people have told me.

when i had my first baby i had had little contact with babaies. But i found that it all came quite naturally and the baby 'told' me what i had to sdo etc.

I breast fed whicjh i found was the easiest way to know how many ounces to feed :) I never hardly bathed my babies either as i felt there was no need - its not like they play in mud or get tomato sauce round their mouths is it :lol: :lol:

honeslty stop worrying. im sure once you have the baby all will ome naturally and you'll find yourself telling new mums to be exactly the same stuff as you've been told

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back