Shall I call the maternity assessment unit?

Beeee

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I've been feeling movements since around 16 weeks. Im now 19 weeks and he hasn't really moved at all the past few days.

Im finding his heartbeat on the doppler though.

Do you think I should ring the assessment unit to get checked or is it still normal to not be feeling him as much?

This happened to me! I left it 3/4 weeks with reducing movements until 26 weeks and then called. They invited me in and listened to the HB. Told me all was ok and it's probably due to the anterior placenta. If you're worriedcall them. They did tell me to call MW before 28 weeks and them after but they still helped me. Xx

This happened to me! I left it 3/4 weeks with reducing movements until 26 weeks and then called. They invited me in and listened to the HB. Told me all was ok and it's probably due to the anterior placenta. If you're worriedcall them. They did tell me to call MW before 28 weeks and them after but they still helped me. Xx

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing then haha!

I don't think I have an anterior placenta. I have a scan on Monday though so I might just try wait it out if I can.

My midwife is absolutely useless - I don't even have a contact number for her, she just gave me the MAU number :wall2: (maternity assessment unit).

If you can hear babies HB fine on your Doppler then go with that, all the hospital will do is rig you up to the HB monitor to which you can just do yourself at home! 19 weeks is still early to class it as reduced movements I was told (I went in to to hosp at 19 weeks with reduced movements and they told me that they wont class it as reduced movements yet because baby has lots of room to move about in) so I ordered a Doppler that night to save me any hospital trips lol. Can you hear baby moving around on your Doppler?

x

If you can hear babies HB fine on your Doppler then go with that, all the hospital will do is rig you up to the HB monitor to which you can just do yourself at home! 19 weeks is still early to class it as reduced movements I was told (I went in to to hosp at 19 weeks with reduced movements and they told me that they wont class it as reduced movements yet because baby has lots of room to move about in) so I ordered a Doppler that night to save me any hospital trips lol. Can you hear baby moving around on your Doppler?

x

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. Never rely on using a home Doppler yourself at home as reassurance.
If you're worried at all give them a ring .... that's what they're there for x

x

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. Never rely on using a home Doppler yourself at home as reassurance.

Agree- just hearing a heartbeat isn't enough, they are trained to interpret whether all seems well from the heartbeat pattern, it's not just hearing it xx

x

Agree- just hearing a heartbeat isn't enough, they are trained to interpret whether all seems well from the heartbeat pattern, it's not just hearing it xx

I wouldn't say Ellsbells reply is poor advice here. I can see what she is trying to say. She's not saying not to go in if there is reduced movement, what she's saying is that at 19 weeks they wouldn't necessarily count it as reduced movements because she won't be feeling regular movements yet due to baby being so small in a large amount of room. I have to say, if I was able to still hear babies heartbeat but wasn't getting 'regular' movements when I was 19 weeks I wouldn't be hugely worried, especially if you have a scan on Monday :) however if you don't feel happy with just hearing the babies heartbeat then you should get in contact with your MAU Beeee. Never sit and worry yourself when they are there to help :) xx

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice ladies.

I didn't hear him move on the doppler this morning but I'm going to try again shortly :).

Im away from home from tomorrow for 3 days so thats another thing that bothered me if I did need to get checked out x

Bee hope you feel baby shortly. The midwives recommend keeping tabs on movements from 28 weeks. They might well say this is normal at 19 weeks & movements will remain very sporadic for weeks to come X

I would say to give them a ring and see what they say. We say to monitor baby's movements from 25 weeks onwards in our Trust, however, if you think that speaking to the Pregnancy assessment unit would help to ease some anxiety then I would absolutely go ahead and speak with them, particularly if your community midwife hasn't given you any contact details (which I find very odd). It's difficult with your gestation, but movements really are the best way to monitor your baby's welfare. Dopplers, although nice to hear baby, are not really conducive to letting you know that baby is alright. They let you know from that snapshot period that you listen in for that baby is alive, and not much else.

x

I wouldn't say Ellsbells reply is poor advice here. I can see what she is trying to say. She's not saying not to go in if there is reduced movement, what she's saying is that at 19 weeks they wouldn't necessarily count it as reduced movements because she won't be feeling regular movements yet due to baby being so small in a large amount of room. I have to say, if I was able to still hear babies heartbeat but wasn't getting 'regular' movements when I was 19 weeks I wouldn't be hugely worried, especially if you have a scan on Monday :) however if you don't feel happy with just hearing the babies heartbeat then you should get in contact with your MAU Beeee. Never sit and worry yourself when they are there to help :) xx

We'll have to agree to disagree but I stick by it is poor advice.
Info from kicks count.org

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thank you ladies!

I have felt a few movements today but not as many as normal! Maybe he's in a weird position after all. I will mention it at my scan on Monday though :)

I find it funny and quite childish how you gang up on someone with different advice or opinions to your own. And how you all become experts.. The info I gave was based purely on what a MIDWIFE/HEALTH CARE PROFRESSIONAL told me when I thought I was experiencing 'reduced movements' at 19 weeks.

I was told at 19 weeks by a health care professional that it is too early to be tracking movements, but the fact that I'd heard a HB on my Doppler was good news, they also tracked the HB themselves in the hospital to double check, all I was trying to say, was that for my own sanity, I found a home Doppler to help me out if I needed some reassurance, but of course calling your MW is completely in your own discretion.

Thank you for those who were understanding of the point I was trying to get across.

I find it funny and quite childish how you gang up on someone with different advice or opinions to your own. And how you all become experts.. The info I gave was based purely on what a MIDWIFE/HEALTH CARE PROFRESSIONAL told me when I thought I was experiencing 'reduced movements' at 19 weeks.

I was told at 19 weeks by a health care professional that it is too early to be tracking movements, but the fact that I'd heard a HB on my Doppler was good news, they also tracked the HB themselves in the hospital to double check, all I was trying to say, was that for my own sanity, I found a home Doppler to help me out if I needed some reassurance, but of course calling your MW is completely in your own discretion.

Thank you for those who were understanding of the point I was trying to get across.

"I find it funny and quite childish how you gang up on someone with different advice or opinions to your own. And how you all become experts..."

I know right... :dohh: - big hugs.

I had movements from 15 weeks and more regular movements from about 21 weeks. At 19 weeks I'm sure there were days I didnt feel anthing. It didnt really occur to me to worry. As others have said I don't think it would be considered as reduced movements at that stage by most doctors or MWs. I wasnt told to count kicks until much later. Sometimes a mothers instinct is the best guide though so if it doesnt seem right to you it cant hurt to get checked out. I'm not sure they would do more than listen to the heatbeat and send you home though? Even if, God forbid, they did find something wrong I'm not sure what they can do about it at 19 weeks? By about 28 weeks with DD she was always wiggling and I would have been off to the hospital if I didnt feel her for more than a couple of hrs even though the advice I was given was to monitor it over 10hrs.

Last edited:
I think the point about the Doppler is that unfortunately, although it is of some reassurance, if something were to be wrong with bubba, God forbid, the heartbeat is the last thing to go. However, I can understand both sides! At 19 weeks, a Doppler might help you to calm down and feel better, relax and then have the time and concentration to sit down and feel baby move.
I do think it's true though, that even at 19 weeks, go with your instinct and see someone if you're not happy.
At this stage, they can't monitor you as such, but they will use a Doppler themselves to find heartbeat and check that they can't hear anything untowards. They are trained and can interpret anything that they hear.
I use a Doppler occasionally to calm myself down (as I have anxiety) but I know that I can't interpret the heartbeat properly :)
I have been into Day Assessment Unit twice for reduced movements and neither time have I used Doppler. I have just rung in and been seen.
It's so hard when you're less than 28 weeks. My experience was that I got really worried once I started having quieter days from 20 weeks which was when I knew that what I felt was baby moving. I think it was just baby having tired days and things, but it didn't stop me going to be seen by MW at this stage and once past 27 weeks, by DAU.
The point is, if you're not happy, be seen. My DAU have been stunning and when I said, I am so sorry to come in again and waste your time, they said, that is what we are here for. They asked if I felt better at the end (when the little whatsit had kicked the monitors to buggary and moved from breech to head up to breech again!) and when I said yes, they said, well you have not wasted our time at all then.
Mothers' instincts are powerful. Don't think you're wasting time.
Personally, I believe that the message with dopplers is, use them to feel more relaxed, but don't use them as a self diagnostic tool. The professionals (hopefully!) know best.
And, if you're fobbed off, don't be. Fight, cry(!), beg to be seen if you're not happy.
Good luck!
P.S. This is not me trying to be an expert, just trying to explain my experiences and to give 'another' view :)

Thanks everyone :)

He is still a bit quiet but kicking now and then. I had my 20 week scan today and he's fine, thank god! x

Glad he is well! Maybe he has just move around into a different position and you cant feel him as well.

I had movements from 15 weeks and more regular movements from about 21 weeks. At 19 weeks I'm sure there were days I didnt feel anthing. It didnt really occur to me to worry. As others have said I don't think it would be considered as reduced movements at that stage by most doctors or MWs. I wasnt told to count kicks until much later. Sometimes a mothers instinct is the best guide though so if it doesnt seem right to you it cant hurt to get checked out. I'm not sure they would do more than listen to the heatbeat and send you home though? Even if, God forbid, they did find something wrong I'm not sure what they can do about it at 19 weeks? By about 28 weeks with DD she was always wiggling and I would have been off to the hospital if I didnt feel her for more than a couple of hrs even though the advice I was given was to monitor it over 10hrs.

I think it just depends on the circumstance and the severity, I had cramping accompanied with what I thought was reduced movements, they only listened to the HB and sent me home and didn't even scan me (assuming because they picked up a HB and heard the placenta) they probably would of sent me off for a scan if they couldn't pick the HB up, but I suppose triage are so used to us ladies coming in with what we think are serious problems which in their eyes is just normal pregnancy lol. :)

Of course, anyone that's really worried should ring their midwife or go in to pregnancy assessment regardless and get checked out, worrying does absolutely no good! All I was just trying to do was share my opinion based on the fact that I'd been through the same thing and thought I'd give info based on what the Midwife at triage told me.

x

We'll have to agree to disagree but I stick by it is poor advice.
Info from kicks count.org

Agree with the above. I have known an instance before of someone to rely on a home doppler and for it not to end well as they did not seek the proper advice due to hearing baby's HB.

I dont think anyone is ganging up on anyone? I think its just really something you shouldnt advise on when it could be a life or death situation - so its serious.. And as far as I was aware there was no set time to "kick the counts" as such, because I have been having regular hard movements from 15 weeks - so I am monitoring whats normal for me and my baby. If baby stops moving one week or moves less good chance that it is just him having a lazy day or a growth spurt. But anything longer or concerning Id be on the phone to MAU.

All different MW/HV give out differing advice - and I have also had a "medical professional HV" tell me that my son despite being 6m old could reach upto 30 mph in his baby walker in my livingroom - which is just total bollocks. She also didnt seem to know why we grow hair in pregnancy her explanation was "for some reason dating back to cave man days" :lol: rather than hormones... :doh:

Point being - not every "health professional" can be whole heartedly trusted on passing advice so its up to us to weigh up advice and research from ourself IMO. If I strongly felt at 19 weeks my baby wasnt normal despite a MW telling me that was normal for a 19 week pregnancy Id still weigh out what was normal for me and my baby, as we should do.

Advice aside - a doppler can pick up both our and baby heart rate, along side pulse and placenta or general movements which could easily be misinterpreted - Id rather go and use a monitoring machine with heart rate/movement monitor and rely on machine build for purpose rather than a 40 quid doppler.

Point being..... If your concerned about any reduce movement or anything thats abnormal movement wise with your pregnancy Id get it seen to immediately.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back