Shall I call the maternity assessment unit?

If you can hear babies HB fine on your Doppler then go with that, all the hospital will do is rig you up to the HB monitor to which you can just do yourself at home! 19 weeks is still early to class it as reduced movements I was told (I went in to to hosp at 19 weeks with reduced movements and they told me that they wont class it as reduced movements yet because baby has lots of room to move about in) so I ordered a Doppler that night to save me any hospital trips lol. Can you hear baby moving around on your Doppler?

x

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. Never rely on using a home Doppler yourself at home as reassurance.

If you're worried at all give them a ring .... that's what they're there for x

Agree- just hearing a heartbeat isn't enough, they are trained to interpret whether all seems well from the heartbeat pattern, it's not just hearing it xx

I wouldn't say Ellsbells reply is poor advice here. I can see what she is trying to say. She's not saying not to go in if there is reduced movement, what she's saying is that at 19 weeks they wouldn't necessarily count it as reduced movements because she won't be feeling regular movements yet due to baby being so small in a large amount of room. I have to say, if I was able to still hear babies heartbeat but wasn't getting 'regular' movements when I was 19 weeks I wouldn't be hugely worried, especially if you have a scan on Monday :) however if you don't feel happy with just hearing the babies heartbeat then you should get in contact with your MAU Beeee. Never sit and worry yourself when they are there to help :) xx

We'll have to agree to disagree but I stick by it is poor advice.
Info from kicks count.org

Agree with the above. I have known an instance before of someone to rely on a home doppler and for it not to end well as they did not seek the proper advice due to hearing baby's HB.

I dont think anyone is ganging up on anyone? I think its just really something you shouldnt advise on when it could be a life or death situation - so its serious.. And as far as I was aware there was no set time to "kick the counts" as such, because I have been having regular hard movements from 15 weeks - so I am monitoring whats normal for me and my baby. If baby stops moving one week or moves less good chance that it is just him having a lazy day or a growth spurt. But anything longer or concerning Id be on the phone to MAU.

All different MW/HV give out differing advice - and I have also had a "medical professional HV" tell me that my son despite being 6m old could reach upto 30 mph in his baby walker in my livingroom - which is just total bollocks. She also didnt seem to know why we grow hair in pregnancy her explanation was "for some reason dating back to cave man days" :lol: rather than hormones... :doh:

Point being - not every "health professional" can be whole heartedly trusted on passing advice so its up to us to weigh up advice and research from ourself IMO. If I strongly felt at 19 weeks my baby wasnt normal despite a MW telling me that was normal for a 19 week pregnancy Id still weigh out what was normal for me and my baby, as we should do.

Advice aside - a doppler can pick up both our and baby heart rate, along side pulse and placenta or general movements which could easily be misinterpreted - Id rather go and use a monitoring machine with heart rate/movement monitor and rely on machine build for purpose rather than a 40 quid doppler.

Point being..... If your concerned about any reduce movement or anything thats abnormal movement wise with your pregnancy Id get it seen to immediately.

xxxx

Exactly.. Bottom line, this was the exact point I was trying to make yet you're saying it in a different way..

IF YOU'RE CONCERNED. CALL YOUR MIDWIFE

But in my own experiences, I found a home Doppler comforting if I needed reassurance. I wasn't trying to say JUST listen out for the HB, I was also asking whether you can hear baby moving on the Doppler rather than feeling it because you may of had an Anterior placenta like myself.

I don't think anyone is listening to that - I'm not informing anyone to do anything, it's self discretion, but I gave my opinion and my point of view which was shot down by about 4 people saying the same thing saying that I'm WRONG and that it's POOR ADVICE, something which I was told by a MW who I trust. So yes I think I will take that as quite victimising.

It's actually quite infuriating, there's absolutely no point for forums if we're all going dismiss each others opinions and treat it as some race as to who's right and who's wrong. I'm entitled to my opinion and people are allowed to disagree, but I found the nature of how it was being done is quite unfair.

I'd rather just remove myself and use a different forum and this is just catty and pathetic like girls in a f*cking playground.

Sorry that you feel that a differ in opinion is victimizing you Ellsbells. The only person that I see using capital letters and now swearing is you. A few people disagreed with you big woop? Its a forum. We all have differing opinions and disagree one time to another.

I certainly couldnt really give a care in the world what you do if you want to use your doppler and take what MWs say as gospel then all for you. Its your body and your baby - however when it comes to people who may be reading taking advice from the forum, I find it most useful to include correct advice as well as what reassures us.

I was merely expressing my opinion to the person who asked a question - whilst at the same time pointing out that I agreed with a few folk saying that it wasnt ok to solely rely on your doppler (which was what was advised in your first post advising that a home doppler would be suitable as all the hospital would do would be check for HB) - Majority of midwives in my experience actually have gotten annoyed at the fact of owning a doppler, but again all MW are and give different advice, as do GPs etc.

Also, pointing out the difference in a home doppler to one at the hospital - yes they will listen for a heart beat at hospital as well as you would at home, but they record and work out what is a normal rhythm, if there sounds to be any distress etc - which is something a home doppler or someone who isnt trained wont pick up. So I dont think what I did say was what you said except said a different way? Id also take it as a given that if anyone was concerned about anything theyd ring and check - I would not need a forum to tell me that, however I felt need to reiterate that if its not normal for you and your baby. I didnt see that previously said in any of anyones posts.

Again, sorry that you feel victimized and that you would like to move forums due to a differ of opinions. And for the record - I wasnt "shooting down" or calling your advice wrong, or silly. I was adding in some facts - which is what the OP wanted to achieve by opening this thread.

To the OP: Sorry that this thread has turned a bit sour. Hopefully you can take a few points of advice from each post and come to your own conclusion about what is right for you :).

xxxx

I'd rather just remove myself and use a different forum and this is just catty and pathetic like girls in a f*cking playground.
If you're going to use public forums/communities you're going to bump into the odd time people don't agree with your advice or maybe don't even read how your post was intended (no tone issues is mostly the problem).

Don't take it so personally :|

Onwards ladies x

in the end, we're all trying to keep our babies safe and be good mums to be.
Just confirm, my post was trying to out across my experiences and in no way did I mean to victimise. It was more meant to give a balanced opinion on something that I have really struggled with.
So glad your baby is ok on scan Beee. That's the most important thing! Xxxx

If you can hear babies HB fine on your Doppler then go with that, all the hospital will do is rig you up to the HB monitor to which you can just do yourself at home! 19 weeks is still early to class it as reduced movements I was told (I went in to to hosp at 19 weeks with reduced movements and they told me that they wont class it as reduced movements yet because baby has lots of room to move about in) so I ordered a Doppler that night to save me any hospital trips lol. Can you hear baby moving around on your Doppler?

x

I'm sorry but this is poor advice. Never rely on using a home Doppler yourself at home as reassurance.

If you're worried at all give them a ring .... that's what they're there for x

Agree- just hearing a heartbeat isn't enough, they are trained to interpret whether all seems well from the heartbeat pattern, it's not just hearing it xx

I wouldn't say Ellsbells reply is poor advice here. I can see what she is trying to say. She's not saying not to go in if there is reduced movement, what she's saying is that at 19 weeks they wouldn't necessarily count it as reduced movements because she won't be feeling regular movements yet due to baby being so small in a large amount of room. I have to say, if I was able to still hear babies heartbeat but wasn't getting 'regular' movements when I was 19 weeks I wouldn't be hugely worried, especially if you have a scan on Monday :) however if you don't feel happy with just hearing the babies heartbeat then you should get in contact with your MAU Beeee. Never sit and worry yourself when they are there to help :) xx

We'll have to agree to disagree but I stick by it is poor advice.
Info from kicks count.org

Agree with the above. I have known an instance before of someone to rely on a home doppler and for it not to end well as they did not seek the proper advice due to hearing baby's HB.

I dont think anyone is ganging up on anyone? I think its just really something you shouldnt advise on when it could be a life or death situation - so its serious.. And as far as I was aware there was no set time to "kick the counts" as such, because I have been having regular hard movements from 15 weeks - so I am monitoring whats normal for me and my baby. If baby stops moving one week or moves less good chance that it is just him having a lazy day or a growth spurt. But anything longer or concerning Id be on the phone to MAU.

All different MW/HV give out differing advice - and I have also had a "medical professional HV" tell me that my son despite being 6m old could reach upto 30 mph in his baby walker in my livingroom - which is just total bollocks. She also didnt seem to know why we grow hair in pregnancy her explanation was "for some reason dating back to cave man days" :lol: rather than hormones... :doh:

Point being - not every "health professional" can be whole heartedly trusted on passing advice so its up to us to weigh up advice and research from ourself IMO. If I strongly felt at 19 weeks my baby wasnt normal despite a MW telling me that was normal for a 19 week pregnancy Id still weigh out what was normal for me and my baby, as we should do.

Advice aside - a doppler can pick up both our and baby heart rate, along side pulse and placenta or general movements which could easily be misinterpreted - Id rather go and use a monitoring machine with heart rate/movement monitor and rely on machine build for purpose rather than a 40 quid doppler.

Point being..... If your concerned about any reduce movement or anything thats abnormal movement wise with your pregnancy Id get it seen to immediately.

xxxx

30mph in your living room?! Haha. That's crazy!
Had a pregnancy class today and there was some very weird advice that I have just had to take with a pinch of salt.
Community nursery nurses reading off sheets to a group of anxious pregnant women mentioning how different foods can stop cancer cells growing... No focus on foods in pregnancy, but focus on cancer! Slightly different I know, but I think you're right. You have to use your own initiative and instincts as well as professionals' ideas/advice!
We were given all of this Information about cancer curing/preventing foods and shown picture of diseased lungs, livers and kidneys and then swiftly moved onto mindfulness where we were told we were given so much information about everything that we needed to try and take it in chunks and only take it in as much as we could. Then we did a mediation exercise, which I had to walk out of as I felt it was so contradictory and just painful. Many of the women came out feeling really depressed... The precise opposite was supposed to happen!
I came out even more anxious than I was before I went in. Not sure I can go again next week. God knows what we'll be told next time...

Yes sadly she actually said that to me meaning I lost all faith there and then lmao. We have a different practice now they seem a bit more savvy lol.

I asked about my hair falling out and she says well for some reason dating back to the cave man days we grow more hair to keep us warm then shed it. I felt like saying I'm not a fucking cat lmao. She just wasn't right.

xxxxx

I had a 7/8 stone dog jump on my stomach the other week, I had been feeling movements since just over 11 weeks and when I went for an assessment after the dog incident all the MW did at the hospital was stick a doppler on me and said she was happy with that. She said she would only scan me if the heartbeat wasn't there or strong.... x

my midwife told me if in any sort of doubt however small, fone them, because that is what they are there for. they also told me not to rely on my Doppler. I hope you contact you midwife. good luck

I had a 7/8 stone dog jump on my stomach the other week, I had been feeling movements since just over 11 weeks and when I went for an assessment after the dog incident all the MW did at the hospital was stick a doppler on me and said she was happy with that. She said she would only scan me if the heartbeat wasn't there or strong.... x

Yes, at this stage that is all they will do because monitoring is not accurate or really workable until 27/28 weeks, my MW said.
However, they are trained to interpret the Doppler. We're not and it can pick up placenta's 'pulse' or other things and we wouldn't know what we were doing.
I was monitored the first time I went in for reduced movements and only the second time did they scan me and this was at 27/28 weeks respectively.
Again, not a medical professional, just my experience and what MW said. Home dopplers are not recommended as a reassurance method because we cannot interpret them correctly. Midwives and doctors can.

If they find a problem before 20 weeks is there anything they can actually do? Or is it just to get reassurance?

If they find a problem before 20 weeks is there anything they can actually do? Or is it just to get reassurance?

I don't know. I think it's just reassurance, but just not sure. When I had my first monitoring for reduced movement, midwife said all is really good now, but anything can happen. I slightly freaked out at this as didn't make me feel great(!) but i think it was just to let me know that I need to be aware that although things are fine now, if I get anymore redcued movement, I need to go straight in.
Pregnancy is so frustrating. I am trying to put my trust in the professionals, knowing that I am trying to do my best for my baby and getting to know it as it grows, whilst being aware of things that are unusual and getting advice on them. I do not care if I go in to the hospital one hundred times or call them a million times. If I feel better and know my baby is currently ok, that's all that matters. It's the most precious thing I have ever made/had and nothing will stop me fighting for he/she.

It depends on the abnormality - if needed a referral to appropriate specialty will be done for example foetal medicine if a certain abnormality is the cause of RM.

Mostly is just reassurance though but of course whatever the news I'd rather know.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back