September - time to consider flu jabs!!!

Princess81

Reaction score
Well bearing in mind that September is round the corner and is generally the beginning of the flu season - I'm going to make this thread to the point and straight-talking. I am not writing it for sympathy or pity, but to hi-light the dangers of seasonal flu and swine flu.

My sister, a perfectly healthy 26 year old (with absolutely no health issues) died from swine flue in December last year. None of us had ever considered a vaccination before, I had mine done last year, after it was too late for my sister.

The symptoms creep up very quickly and you can be critical before you know it. She never got vaccinated, left it too late to go to the doctors, even when she did go they didn't do anything and less than 24 hours later she had no lung function, was hooked up to life support and suffered a cardiac arrest. Even though they got her back, she was out for 10 minutes and the starvation of oxygen to her brain lead to her death cos she had no brain function at all.

Most of us know that Pregnant women have lower immune systems and are therefore more succeptible to these things. You should be given the option by your midwife to be given the seasonal flu jab or swine flu jab or maybe a combination of both depending on what they have. If they don't mention it then ask.

I would urge you to seriously consider getting this done. It's not for everyone, I know that. Some people don't want it, some people are scared, some people just think "it wont happen to me".

If (god forbid) it does happen to you or someone you love, the consequences can be devestating. I don't have any other brothers or sisters and I am so mad/sad that my only sister died from something that could have easily been prevented.

Seriously think about getting it done, look up the info on the net, chat with your family and o/h about it. Make yourself familar with the facts.

Don't feel like I'm pushing this on you because I'm not. But if it helps another family avoid going through what my family have gone through it will be worth it. x

I think everyone should get one, I had mine done at 12 weeks PG and didnt really have side effects except sore arm for a couple of days.

Thanks for this post hun..... and for sharing something so personal.
I will definitely be gettign this done. IMO the benefits far out weigh the risks.
I have gotten he normal flu jab done every year but last year was the first time I didnt... mainly because of the swine flu coming about and gps etc running out of doses of it and me being at the bottom of the list. Typically I caught a bad dose of what I think was normal flu last year along with DH: laid us up in bed for 8 days.
My GP is starting the vaccinations soon so I will def be there

I am going to the midwife in a couple of weeks time, I have stuck a post-it note on the front of my maternity notes to remind me to ask for it. She knows about my sister anyway and she did tell me on my booking in appointment that I would be offered the vaccination but I don't want to forget and I don't want them to run out before I get one!x

I have my 25 week apt on Tuesday so will mention it then as well.

I had to go to my GP and tell them I am high risk (officially they didnt have any vaccine but they did for high risk people)

I completely agree with the above honey, so thank you so much for posting this thread :)

They believe that a nasty strain of the flu virus caused my sons Non Immune Hydrops, I had terrible reapiratory symptoms and I wasn't actually tested for swine flu - this still haunts me that this was the cause. I was so ill myself but obviously the baby was my main priority at that time. I cried to my GP to do something and she dismissed it a just a virus and that I would get over it and I believe ultimately caused the death of our son. I cannot stress how important it is to protect yourself esp when pregnant. X

Laura I had no idea that the virus could cause something like that with unborn babies :hug: :hug: thank you for warning us about that too hun xxxx

Last edited:
I never ever imagined that something like that could happen from the flu, but it happens much more than people know. It's still rare but I was anaemic and run down and I caught this nasty flu virus. They found no structural reason for his condition and there final consensus was that he became ill very suddenly and it all tied in with my illness. They believe is crossed the placenta, most virus won't but some do. They don't know enough about some of the mutated strains apparently as obviously they change all the time. They believe this was a rogue virus that was actually able to effect the placenta. My placenta became hydropic and enlarged as it tried to work harder. His heart became weak as he struggled to fight it just like me. It took me 4 weeks after he was born to get rid of the virus, I'd already had it for 3 weeks before that! I did notice that I was urinating less but drinking more etc a my body was starting to shut down too. After he was born the were very worried I wasnt urinating properly, and do you know this happened to him too. His kidneys shut down and he couldnt wee at all. I've taken my vitamins everyday on the advice of my consultant just to help give me that extra boost to my immune system and it's kept me well so far. Sorry for the life story, but it is something I believe needs to be given more thought in pregnancy especially. No one told me this could happen, there is no awareness of this. Like I say it's still so rare but it can happen x

My midwife mentioned this the other day and i will get both jabs as soon as they come in to GP's.

Had them both before as nurses we get offered them and never had any side effects at all.

xxx

There is so much that we don't know, and so much that they don't tell us.
That's why forum's like these are invaluable to share information from experience - good or bad xx

I'll be getting mine as I'll be working closely with pregnant women and new borns but I also had it done when I was bout 10 weeks pregnant. It never crossed my mind not to do it.

Everyone get it!

Last edited:
I'd ask the midwife initially, she may tell you to book in with your gp for it - if so is your mw at the same place as your gp so that you can book in? Or phone her to check how they work it x

Yeah they are at the same place! Defo making the most of the opportunity to get it thanks for the reminder :)

Thankyou so much for this post Princess. I am so sorry to hear about your sister, it's so lovely of you to share such personal information in order to help other people.
Due to having Multiple Sclerosis, which is a disease of the immune system, i am supposed to have a jab every year. In the four years since being diagnosed i haven't had one, either through my lazyness or because the Doctors had ran out.
Thanks to your post it has given me the shake i need to get one this year. I have put a note on the front of my Maternity notes to remind me to ask the Midwife when i see her on Tuesday.
Thankyou lovely xxx

i just watched a programme on itv called baby hospital where a woman had caught swine flu while pg and it had given her baby brain damage and he died 5 days after being born so id say its important to get the jab!

Thanks for reminding me, will ask at my appointment next week and so sorry to hear about your sis xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back